Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

First off I want to thank Richard a.k.a. MMNETSEA for his guidance and help finding a good rig without busting the bank account. If you are new to HAM, selecting the right rig can be overwhelming when you have no idea as to what is good for your needs and ability. On Richard’s suggestion I purchased a Kenwood TS 480SAT 100Watt HF system. I was able to find a new one for $815US. This unit has the separate control face plate and transceiver much like the Icom M802 which works quite well in my nav station. The Kenwood TS 480SAT seems to have all the functionality that a mariner needs once the Marine SSB channels are opened up. In comparison to the Icom M802 at $1800 to $2400us, The Kenwood makes perfect sense for the first time HAM operator.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts_480_SAT.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	374

After spending several weeks getting the antenna, ground and coupler situation worked out, I was finally able to spend several hours last night speaking for the first time on several frequencies and everyone said my signal was coming through load and clear.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Well done Trim50. It is good that you did the installation yourself so you know where to look if something is not right. May you have many years of good use of the rig.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Admiral

The install was a lot of work. Lori took part and helped by crawling into the small spaces to do soldering of wires where I couldn't fit. She is really taking to this boat thing quite well.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Admiral

Great News !!!

Hope you both get great enjoyment out of HF - Lori has just added another badge to her Sea Scouts jacket - ""Climbing into small spaces, upside down - microlite in teeth - soldering gun, solder - wires - (cannot swear because of microlite!) ""

Ken, I guess you know of the 3M Rubber Splicing Tape for electrical joints? About the 10th of the price of the Self Amalgamating Rubber Tape sold in chandlers. Once the 3M has been in place for a few days all the windings consolidate into a single mass - completely sealing out moisture etc - inside/outside, for years to come.

Richard
Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Ken, I guess you know of the 3M Rubber Splicing Tape for electrical joints? About the 10th of the price of the Self Amalgamating Rubber Tape sold in chandlers. Once the 3M has been in place for a few days all the windings consolidate into a single mass - completely sealing out moisture etc - inside/outside, for years to come.

Richard
Nope, but I will look for it. 3M always has some great products.

The counterpoise ended-up being very simple after trying to bond the water tanks which didn't work very well. The best results came from a simple hose clamp holding the ground cables to a bronze thru-hull!

Richard, once again, thank you for your help and guidance!