Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

Yucatan, Cancun, and Cozumel Mexico.

We are spending our Christmas week in Cozumel. We never did such a thing before. Christmas away from home or family, much less in another country, much less without snow, or at least cold. We are beaking family rearing tradition. We see no need to uphold it, and no body is objecting. No justification ask, needed, or required. We (First Mate & I) want to do this, something new and differant.

I have never been there, but we are making plans now.

First Mate, Candee, has been to Yucatan, and Cancun, before, so we have a little experience on board, with nearby areas.

We are flying to Cozumel MX.

We are reading web sites, and the American Automobile Association (AAA / Triple A) Travel Guide.

We have valid Passports; Visa, not required.

Five full days on the ground.

I ask you to fill in the blanks, based upon your experiences.

What should we do, or not do there, or in Mexico?

Hotel recommendations?

Take in which local attractions?

Skip or avoid what?

Anything of Sailing, SCUBA, Snorkeling, History, or Culture and Local Cuisine related is of great interest.

Local Customs and Courtesies?

Shots? Ya Buddy; I'll have three of those Dude! ...NO NO! I meant Immunizations!

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

One word...SCUBA! Some of the best in the world. So, if you aren't certified yet, you better get started on pool classes and finish certification at the beach.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
Lieutenant

If you are staying on Cozumel, rent a jeep for the day and take a ride around the island. There is only one road so you can't get lost. Along the Atlantic side there is no electricity but there are some bars/restuarants and shops that are open only during the daylight hours. You will get a much better price on souvenirs, about half of what you would pay in town.

You could take the ferry to playa del carmen on the mainland, the Blue Parrot has 2 for 1 drinks all day except between 4-7 pm when they are 3 for 1.

ALWAYS barter on the price at the shops and stores you can usually get the wares for half of the original offer by walking away after some negotiation, they will call you back and lower their "best" price "just especially for you"

The Mayan ruins at Tulum are an hour away by bus. There are tours to Chetz an etza (spelling wrong) but it is a 5-6 hour bus ride each way.

If you are a diver then the scuba diving is not to be missed. With the current it is all drift diving and the Planacar reef is second in size only to the Great Barrier Reef, or so I was told.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Since my post, we discovered that we may not be able to use our plane tickets to Cozumel, at the time that I stated. That really does not matter much, concerning this post. Sooner or later we are going there, and still want to know before we go.

Trim50 / Ken,

You confirmed what I have read; DIVE!

Here is the background to this post:

Last year, at my first mates', previous employers Christmas Party there was a drawing. Her previous employer collected all the perks; such as buy so many get one free, buy something with something else, and get this or that, buy these things and get that, and so on. The company did not want the perks, in the course of business. They could give a rip about that. They really wanted to succeed in their business; they did that; still they collected the perks. The perks were given away by drawing at the Comapny Christmas Party. That is how first mate came by these airline tickets; she won them on the luck of the draw, from the hat. The ironic part is that she pulled her own name. NO the hat was not loaded with only her name! And the guy that won last year, never used his FREE flight. ...he had a fear of flying; hated it; but had to often on the job.

My business is the travel industry and business, and reservations, referals, events, and so on. I should have known about the underlying rule(S) of these "FREE" tickets. I did not. I / we learned something in this process.

We will go to Cozumel, in time; just at a differant time. It will not be Christmas week to New Years, or during those holidays. Oh well......the price is right.

Now back to diving. I read that. I understand. I have dived in part of that 1,000 mile long reef; considered second best to the Great Barrier Reef. Problem is my certification is NOT valid, and my First mate never has dived, but has been snorkling. So, we are considering re-adjusting our plans for this pair of airline tickets; using them for other purposes, and driving to a place where we can become certified divers during this time period. The time is right. She has the time off from work. The driving distance is resonable, under 8 hours, with family at the destination.

Back to the post, this post. In time, {we already decided} we are going there, but later than first planned. Let the post run. Answer my questions if you can. Only the dates changed, the destination remains. Later, we may be certified PADI, and have more fun!

Jeff

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mexico