Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It seems this is my week for having a whinge!

I have already given my thoughts on telecommunications sales people.....now for computer techs!

Regular readers may remember I had strife with my HP laptop computer. After spending many dollars on troubleshooting repairs, I was told the motherboard was in need of replacement and I had to buy a new computer. So, I bought a new ASUS for about a million bucks.

Last week, I decided I would turf out the old HP (I loved that machine) and set about removing the hard drive which would later be given a burial at sea. After unscrewing the back of the computer, I noticed the cooling fans were filled with lint and dust, and the vanes of the heat dissipators were clogged.

Having little better to do at the time, I cleaned the cooling system and immediately noticed the fans ran much more quietly when the machine was operating, and the cowling above the CPU was not getting anywhere near as hot. Two days later the HP was still running perfectly, whereas it had been shutting itself down every half minute or so previously.

I am not an overly agressive person, but that is probably not the impression I left on Mr Pimples at the computer shop. Because the dimwit service clot didn't clean the cooling system (5 minutes with a soft brush and compressed air) I spent $2600 on 'repairs' and a new machine.

The shop would not refund my money, but did offer me a credit (labour only..no parts) equal to half the amount I spent on those 'repairs'.....So that's worth absolutely sod-all for there is no way I would ever take my computer, electric toothbrush or flashlight back to that mob of tools for anything, even if only for the replacement of batteries.

So now I have a second nice computer, which is really a waste of almost three months' cruising budget.

"And the geeks shall inherit the earth" (Apologies to Matty, Mark, Luke and Yiannis)

David

BTW...Compressed air for cleaning the vanes in the cooling provided by scuba tank.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
Admiral

Who said computers were user friendly ! Hell !!! I sympathise with you -- so many times encountered similar incompetence

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Small claims court!

My company just gave me one of these wonderful machines last week. I figure if I have it long enough, it will become mine ;-)

Getac V100 Ruggedized Laptop

http://www.getac.com/English/products/v100.aspx

I haven't done much with it yet, but will let ya know my impressions. At first glance, it is a wonderful, light weight, well designed machine....like the tablet screen! Should work well in the cockpit with the nav software.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Admiral

Did you really order one?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
Did you really order one?
No , Just thought it was possible I could get in on the act! A nice piece of gear !
Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Admiral

We got a dozen of them as part of a swap for our fuel cells. I believe ours are the first units delivered State-side. It seems like the perfect boat computer.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
We got a dozen of them as part of a swap for our fuel cells. I believe ours are the first units delivered State-side. It seems like the perfect boat computer.
Send Me one, I can give it the initial sea trial, to establish its merits as a perfect boat computer
Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
BTW...Compressed air for cleaning the vanes in the cooling provided by scuba tank.
Auzz,

I have found that scuba tanks come in handy for clearing clogged lines to the head as well...amazing what 3000 psi can do
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #10
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

That operation could make for a good cartoon illustration.

"prepare to repel boarders".......

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
I would like to add another complaint ! My Getac V100 has not arrived !
I am thinking of saving up my pennies and investing in something like this SeaPC.

Expensive? Yes at something like 30,000 Kronor (US $5,000) but it will replace lap-top, DVD player and TV both at home and aboard. It even comes with Transas charting software. Transas b.t.w. is great but far from cheap software. It is well proven by professional navigators all over the globe and is the digital navigation system we have chosen and deployed on Swedish Coast Guard vessels.

No matter how good the SeaPC might be, it will never replace paper charts in Nausikaa. It might be a nice piece of kit but it is another bit of electrickery and so can fail.

Cheers // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote