Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Admiral

Although I lean towards a total ban on whaling, I don't think that the tactics of the protest groups is particularly honest.

This is the News report of "collision"

And here's the video, taken from the "guilty" whaler: Sea Shepherd CS being "run down"

And my take on this tempest: Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenpeace.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1216

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

HAHA!... did you notice that even after the collision the whaler continued to spray them with the water cannon, I swear you could even hear some laughing in the backround... or maybe that was just me...

but seriously... I don't agree with whaling either, but as long as it's legal the activist need to get out of the way and let the guys do their job... Why do I find it hard to swallow that a super boat like the one that got hit was unable to outmaneuver a big old whaler... c'mon really??. Granted it does look like the whaler turned toward them... but I'm guessing that wasn't "to ram them" so much as to get at a whale that the super boat was blocking.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Admiral

There are a few more of this type of video on YouTube, and each time it appears to me that the Sea Shepherd people are maneuvering to be hit by the less maneuverable whaler. To me, in the video linked above, the Sea Shepherd boat is moving towards the whaler's bow, and the cameraman had to move to see over the side of the boat which made it look as if the ship turned towards the Ady Gil. Look at the stern and prop wash of the Ady Gil just before the whaler hits it. It looks to be more than 20 feet of motoring towards the whaler, though the Ady Gil claims they were not moving.

Another video of an encounter with a whaler, the Sea Shepherd ship claims that he's turning to starboard and was hit on his port side, the other ship is accused of failing to respect right of way. However, as the Sea Sheherd ship pans aft towards the offending ship, you can see the prop wash that looks to be "full speed astern".

The Sea Shepherd group is being dishonest, taking advantage of the unfamiliarity with ships and their movement of the majority of the people who will see these news videos. They are not on the side of the angels if they need to use tactics such as this to gain support for their movement.

Can you guess how much the Ady Gil must have cost? This is not a poorly funded group, is it?

SY WATERMELON |

Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

An insurance claim anyway?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
An insurance claim anyway?
Unfortunately we are having to put up with a lot of government hot air down here at the moment as our prime minister ponces and prances about making threats to take the Japanese to the international courts. Threats we all know they have no intention to carry out as it will expose our vulnerability to have Australia's claim to region put to the test. Only a fraction of the 40% we claim is actually internationally recognised and they really don't want to open up those cans of worms.

Guess we can always change channel

Fair winds
Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Retired Mod

Comparison of two videos:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQlnBfkophg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparant"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pQlnBfkophg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparant" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Where as I don't agree with the killing of the whales, I also don't agree with the tactics of the activists. It appears to be a deliberate act on the activists part to collide with the whaler. If it wasnt for the fact that it was going to get media attention I doubt that it would of happened.

My experience in travelling on the open ocean is very limited but surely the Ady Gil could of avoided the collision, being the smaller, more agile vessel.

Stormy

Shane (Stormy)

You cant be everything to everyone and nothing to yourself
Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Retired Mod

We have not heard the end of this - not by a long shot!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Admiral

I just saw a few videos by a fellow calling himself Propaganda Buster. He's pretty funny - funny ha-ha, and also a bit funny peculiar. However, he akes soe points that are worth considering. He has more than one video on You Tube - and he has a lot of information on his blog site that makes the Sea Shepherd group warrant a lot of distrust from us. He seems to be a pretty dedicated amateur.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

From the looks of things The Sea Shepard boat did not try to avoid the collision that happened (Being that the boat is stated to move over 40+ knots possible). It does look like The Japanese did take the bait as there seems to be intentional hard maneuvering by the Japanese vessel to hit. As to amateurs with a rather large data file one wonders. Some facts that I know of:

Sea Shepard was founded by a former member and founder of Green Peace. That left the group due to them accepting funds from groups that had conflicts of interest. Also do to the fact that Green Peace decided that they wanted to be viewed as more main stream and less radical so that they could more easily argue their points to government agencies.

Green Peace has recently changed some of their positions on Japanese government action concerning the enviroment (Even though the Japanese Government has openly called into question the entire global warming/ climate change issue).

it seems very interesting that both sides of the issue had footage to the public in less than 12 hours? I don't like being played the fool (Even though that is part of my companies name [different fool]).

Australia's government has been trying to find a way to force the issue of international waters for some time. We will see where it goes from here. Though they might find Ireland agreeing with them as they have sunk or seized more than a few oriental fishing factories that illegally entered Irish waters and than tried to escape when caught. Reading more than one language is a very useful skill.

The truth might come to the surface a few years from now but I would not hold my breath. The facts are already being distorted by those with interests. There is NO thing as Altruism. Even GOD does what he does for reasons.

Now back to a nice wonderful sailing site (this one)

Michael
Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Ensign

Ok, now this one I have to reply to!

I saw a couple of espisodes of "Whale Wars" on local TV, and found them fascinating viewing.

In fact I can state it is THE most gripping TV I've ever seen.

Ended up purchasing all of seasons 1 and 2 on iTunes, then found a different way of downloading season 3 (because Animal Planet refused to sell to my UK credit card??)

Love em or loathe em, the dedication and deep love for the oceans and their life is pretty moving.

Manned by volunteers, 95% of whome are totally inexperienced but willing to put their lives on the line, the Steve Irwin ship, once a whaler itself, is pretty old and cranky - and NOT rated for the icy conditions they sail into.

The crew are told that if they fall overboard they'll freeze to death before the S.I. can turn around or launch a small boat. They travel around 6000 miles from any help; it is very real, serious danger that they are willing to, and do, put themselves in.

Regarding the collision:

The Ady Gil was built by the owner, at a cost of around $3 million. He broke the world speed record for circumnavigating the globe (under a different boat name). He volunteered to help the "Sea Sheppards", at his own expense.

Having successfully thrown some stink bombs onto a different ship (possibly the main prize, the factory ship, can't remember) he and his 3 man crew had to stop. They were out of fuel.

That year was the first where they had more than one boat, including another Steve Irwin sized vessel but a couple of knots faster and able to keep up with the factory ship.

The idea that the Steve Irwin can out-turn the harpoon ships is laughable - they're amazing machines, designed to chase down running whales. The Steve Irwin can just about manage 15 knots, with both engines running. The 3 harpoon boats in the fleet cruise effortlessly at 19 knots and can turn much, much fast than the Steve Irwin, which can't even keep up with the 16 knots of the factory ship.

That's why they use the speed boats. If they manage to spot a whaling vessel, which can take weeks, they launch the speedboat. Again at great risk (and yes, there are frequent injuries including a busted pelvis and cracked chin) they go racing off over the horizon, 10 miles or more.

Having caught them, I should say IF, they throw harmless stink bombs, avoiding people, and try to foul the prop. In turn they're blasted with water cannons, sonic-blasts and have large screws, nuts, lumps of metal and other such things thrown at them.

Their main aim to to taint the whale meat so it cannot be sold. The Japanese "research" consists of killing over 1000 whales a year, including 50 of a relatively rare species, which the factory ship processes and cans there and then.

Back to the Ady Gil. They motored over to the Steve Irwin for waving goodbye, because they were going to be stuck there for a few days, waiting for the other ship to arrive, which had more fuel.

They were stationary, with the crew on top of the boat, when a harpoon boat raced towards them, using it's water cannons to blow them into the freezing water.

Before the crew could even get back into the boat to avoid the cannon the harpoon vessel swerved directly into them, smashing the bow off the boat. For good measure they also hit the crew with water cannons.

Had someone been inside the boat they would have suffered amputations or death.

When I first started watching the series I did so for the comedy value, for they were so incompetent yet earnest. It was funny to watch, at first.

You soon realize though, that is it very real. You can say they go too far, that whales aren't worth the bother, that they and their ilk should just sit at home and write a stern letter to someone, perhaps send an email?

The fact remains that they reduce the kill by around 50%, which is vastly more than Greenpiece (which Watson founded, before being kicked out for being too radical) or any government has done.

As I say, when I first watched it was because they were a bunch of entertaining idiots. By the end of watching I'm left with nothing but deep respect and admiration for these people.

Sure, they'll put as much spin on things as they can, publicity is a major part of what they're trying to do.

I suggest you view the whole thing for yourself, before passng judgment.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/series/

W.