Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Admiral

CNN publish an Associated Press report

CNN Report

Big Brother takes the helm ?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

That's a joke! If we tell the enemy what we are doing then they will just make arrangements for something else if the want to plan another attack. We are SO VULNERABLE in so many ways, and as soon as that was made known. They switched plans if they have a plan at all?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Back in the 80s we had something a lot like this take place...it was called Zero Tolerance targeted at drug smugglers. The result was excessive use of the law by the Coast Guard to randomly board any vessel at anytime and perform a drug & safety search of the vessel.

I was boarded 2 times in just one year. Both times during a simple day sail with guests on board. The result was a boarding that lasted nearly an hour as 18 year old kids with guns went through our boat and ruined the entire day for our guests. After finding no drugs on board, they went out of their way to find any and all Coast Guard safety violations. In both cases, I was sighted. The first time for not having a trash disposal plan written and posted and the second time for not having my seacocks to my heads closed. When I refused to pay the fines, the Coast Guard sent a collection agency after me nearly 4 years later!

Another zero tolerance case abuse also occurred that year in which some harbor patrol individuals boarded a 46 ft sailboat in LA harbor and reportedly found some small amount of pot on board. They confiscated the vessel from the owners, sailed it down to Mexico and used it for nearly a year as their own private pleasure yacht. The owners eventually got their vessel back after years of legal fights and court cases…but by then, the boat was trashed.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

....and all the while we perceive piracy to be the major invasive threat. I am reminded of a state edict which outlaws the use of dunnies plumbed directly to the sea. You must have a holding tank..you must pump out the effluent at one (of the one or two, generally inoperative) pumping out stations, and then you can sail away....safely in the knowledge that the government is pumping your effluent into the ocean for you through an 'approved 'ocean outfall'.

We elect these people

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote