Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello all,

I just have a quick question about the rigors of sailing. I got into a pretty bad car accident back in setember and it cause a spondilolithesis, herniated disc, and bulging disc all between L3 and S1. I am most likely going to be getting back surgery this summer, and the recovery time is anywhere from 9 months up to 2 years. It has left me unable to do things that most normal 21 year olds do, but I am adapting to the limitations it has left me.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience sailing with moderate back problems? And if there are many, is there any thing that can be done to make things easier.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Wadsworth,

No quick answers to your question. You say that you will likely be getting back surgery this summer - therefore as we are already halfway through June - and depending on the results of the remedial surgery for the Spondilolithesis which is often treated by fusing vertebrae together to provide added support. Your question's answer will depend on the post operative recovery time - typically say 6 months, but at your age and with good and appropriate physiotherapy exercise you may be able to go sailing whatever. Again depending on how your body recovers. Suggest that you seek advice from qualified medical personnel ie. Your neurosurgeon and especially your physiotherapist. If you have a sports medicine centre nearby, this would be a good place to get solid information, here is one such centre :

REHAB.

Regards

Richard

Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks for the information Richard,

Since the nine months that I have been dealing with this I have gone through just about every type of treatment ranging from chiropratic care to epidural injections to acupuncture, and there has been no change. I haven't really talked to the nuerosurgeon specifically about sailing, but he said that I will be limited for the rest of my life(even with the surgery). And unfortunately surgery is pretty much the last option at this point, and I am feeling somewhat apprehensive about it since the lower of the average age for this surgery is about 35. I will definately find out if I am getting the surgery in the begining of July, but beyond that I'm not sure when the surgery will take place. But it does lift my spirits somewhat that there is a good possibility, if everything goes well with the surgery and recovery, that I will not be completely restricted from getting back out on the water.

Thanks again,

Josh