Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Sailing on the land

I love to sail. My other love is riding motorcycles, something which is not uncommon within the sailing community. In the past couple of years I have been alternately riding through South East Asia and sailing on the Sea of Cortez.

I arrived in the US a month ago and I am currently spending time in Tennessee and North Carolina. For those with knowledge of the area, I have ridden the Cherohala Skyway/Dragon's Tail/Deal's Gap loop and then the Blue Ridge Parkway. One episode of heavy snow forced us to forego much more riding for the moment...the forecast for next Sunday is a beaut: Snow and a top temp of 36°f with a low of 19°f (in a sensible scale that's +2°c to -7°c....and that's plurry cold!

We may head for Miami soon to escape the worst of the winter weather. Sailing out of Marsh Harbour in the Abacos is a distinct possibility. Then if we need to go closer to the equator, there is San Carlos, where my boat is on the hard stand.

Guess what. America has finally learned how to make decent coffee, and the standard very delicious hamburger will feed four hungry foreigners. Amazing.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Have a grand time in your travels on land.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

I love my bikes too. Still have a rare old modified triumph. I even have pre unit gear pullers and tools custom made to keep things running. The only parts 1953 original is the frame and crankcase halves. Purged the others downsizing.
When you said sailing on land I didn’t immediately think on the hard cold ground but Sand sailing.
I tried Ice Sailing on Lake Simcoe one of the large lakes which separate the Severn River and Trent on the great loop. So the ice is not smooth. The speeds , don’t look at the knot meter, they lie. Temporary land sailing. Completely exhilarating l. I had a snowmobile pacing me about 1/8 off we both passed a snow squall and his sound vanished.

Tags
sailing, sail