Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

I reckon that this site has too many compartments.... this thought is prompted by having had the only two threads that I have contributed to in recent times vanish from my ken and take a big slice of my precious cyberspace time in finding....

If somebody wishes to post something in " # 3 DB ( Port )" so be it but to have it moved there from the bridge at a later date by the 'invisible hand' gets a little bit up my nose...

That's it,

Saludos Cordiales,

Frank

Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your comments.

Indeed there are many boxes but as a regular visitor here you will have observed how these forums are attracting a steadily increasing number of members, many of whom, like yourself, contribute even more information. This all has to be sorted and stored under the right headings in order to help people find what they are looking for. Occasionally, when #3 DB (port) becomes full a new stowage plan has to be made, bearing in mind that things still have to remain accessible and the ship must have positive GM at all times. In my opinion, Admin has done an excellent job but it could be that it can be improved upon.

I make a point of never just complaining without giving suggestion as to how I think improvements can be made: I think that is the difference between positive criticism and a whinge. I am sure that your criticism was well intended so I invite you to come with positive suggestions for improvement.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi Frank

Sorry for the annoyance. In our wisdom (possibly not the best) the forums are broken up into "boxes" in an attempt to keep similar information together.

We are very aware that MANY of our members around the world are actively cruising and often login from difficult connections. It is for this reason mainly that we feel that if things are filed in the correct "boxes" it is quicker and easier to find what you are looking for.

We are trying to make things easier for you, the cruiser, and certainly not simply trying to confuse our members.

We are doing the best we can.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Points taken.....

Hope it didn't sound like a whinge..... it was more of a grump from a grumpy old b******

In my case ( when I am in touch with cyberspace) I visit 4 sailing sites, 2 semi proffessional and a couple of others ( radios and stuff). several have compartmentalised ( is that a word?) formats..... on those I rarely stray beyond the main page or at max two pages. Its a utilisation of time issue for me.

Maybe a better plan would be to leave them where they are posted ( I would be as bold as to take a punt that 'cruising forum current' gets the most visits) until they are time expired through lack of recent posts or have scrolled off the first screen. Then move them so they are neatly archived but leave a 'moved' flag where they came from.

Apologies for grumpieness.

When I get some time I'll freshen up the photos on the Chile Wiki as penance..... I have a some good new ones....

Cheers

Frank
Old 08-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
it was more of a grump from a grumpy old b******
No - I know how you feel, I've been there.

Points well made and noted.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Admiral

Too Many Boxes ?

Recently spent time on a good friend's boat - assisting in doing some mods. Needed some specific size nuts and bolts with locking washers, all in stainless steel. Friend directed me to several large containers, with "you should find what need there"

Well, it didn't take long to decide to take them out into the cockpit and discharge the contents onto a tarp. What an assortment = Stainless, bronze, brass, steel - HT and mild ; Fine thread, coarse thread, metric, US, Whitworth; Long, short; Machine screws, wood screws; separate nuts, separate washers; new, old; etc.. etc.. Would have filled many pages in a McMaster-Carr catalog.

It took the best part of a morning to sort them into their appropriate categories , like with like, fitting each bolt with a washer and a nut. Then go ashore and buy a selection of tupperware type square containers. Label them and fill each with the sorted :-

Fastening and Sealing

Wood Screws • Sheet Metal Screws • Thread-Forming Screws • Thread-Cutting Screws • Self-Drilling Screws • Drywall Screws • Machine Screws • Set Screws • Thumb Screws • Binding Screws • Shoulder Screws • Panel Screws • Socket Head Cap Screws • Hex Head Cap Screws • Bolts • Threaded Rods • Threaded Studs • Acme Threaded Nuts • Acme Threaded Rods • Acme Threaded Studs • Nuts • Washers • Shims • Spacers • Standoffs • Retaining Rings • Captive Fasteners • Helical Inserts • Threaded Inserts • Tee Nuts Etc......

From 4 or 5 large containers - containing "mixed" ended up with over 50 labeled containers of appropriate size, containing nuts and bolts of the same family.

Friend took me out to dinner, beer was on him. his admission :- "I have been wanting to do that for some time!"