Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #21
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynger1 View Post
Hi i dont think Tasmania and NZ is tropical

seems you dint leave your shore that mutch
Hangonamo while I get my tongue out of my cheek...

I just don't do 'hot' and far prefer a winter in Patagonia to a day in Thailand.

I do get out a bit and spend the summers in NE Victoria, Oz, each year ( nothing goes to windward like an A340 ). On fire watch just now counting down the days ( 34...tic..tic..tic..) until I can go back to my boat.

Saludos,

Frank

Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
I can't really see retiring on a boat and staying on one place but if I had to spend a few years in any one location it would be the Med and specifically the Ionian Islands. Second choice would be San Francisco Bay. Third, Hawaii
What about Turkey?

Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #23
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
What about Turkey?
I really don't have much expierence in this region except a week on Naxos when I was 19 and a cruise boat trip from Venice to Istanbul. Unfortunately during my visit to Istanbul, my wallet was seperated with my pocket. Very Very dumb on my part but left a bad taste in my mouth.

FWIW, my week on Naxos was somewhat magical, 6 teens meet on the boat from Brindisi to Athens then spend a week sleeping on a beach in the middle of the Aegean. Puts a smile on my face still.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #24

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Ken,

I understand the solar thing--so suppose you're thinking warm parts of the world with lots of sun. It certainly makes sense considering your profession and personal interests.

However, one of the things I'm always amazed by is how many folks want to retire to be in tropical/warm climates even though they've spent their lives living with four seasons. There have been recent studies published that show that people who move FROM a cold climate TO a warm climate when they retire live shorter lives than those who stay in a cold climate after retirement. Interestingly, it doesn't mean they have to stay in the geographic location they lived their working years in--just moving to a known warm climate seems the issue! A little deeper look shows that those retirees who move to the warm climates (e.g. Florida) are less happy in general than their peers who stayed north (e.g. New Jersey) and they are also less happy than their peers who have always resided in the warmer climates. One of the findings of the studies is that it seems unhappy people live shorter lives and if you're unhappy in the cold you'll likely be unhappy in the warmer climate. Moral of this--as the song says "Don't worry, Be Happy"

I know a few folks who have retired with the benefit of a house or condo in one location and a boat in another. One couple I know has a condo in the Seattle area and a house with boat down in Chile. They do the 1/2 year here-and-there thing. For example, maritime author Roger C Taylor retired with a boat in Maine for use half the year and a canal boat in France for the other half of the year. That sounds wonderful to me.

Fair winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #25
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
There have been recent studies published that show that people who move FROM a cold climate TO a warm climate when they retire live shorter lives than those who stay in a cold climate after retirement.
It would be interesting to have the reference to these studies.

The question 'where to retire as an active cruiser?' Often reminded of this piece of wisdom :-

"People make Places"
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #26

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
It would be interesting to have the reference to these studies.

The question 'where to retire as an active cruiser?' Often reminded of this piece of wisdom :-

"People make Places"
I'll do a little searching. It would be most likely that we read it in something we subscribe to: the Journal of Science, Science News, and Scientific American seem the most likely candidates.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote