Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Many years ago I subscribed to Blue Water Sailing. It is the only magazine subscription that I've ever paid for. Now, I get so many sailing, boating and cruising magazines that I typically don't get the chance to look through them all.

There is one particular magazine that I now receive that amazes me. It is called Show Boat International. It is a large format full color 1/2 in thick book that I get once every couple of months showing me just how poor I really am. I'm not quite sure why I like this display of decadence so much other than the strange sadistic desire to look into the world of the upper crust and extreme beauty of mega yachts knowing that I couldn’t afford a single week of charter on most of these vessels. What truly amazes me the most is the large number of super yachts that are for sale…are there really that many billionaires??

:icon_boohoo1:

Old 08-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
What truly amazes me the most is the large number of super yachts that are for sale…are there really that many billionaires??

:icon_boohoo1:
Every time I look at a mag like that a feeling of happness comes over me. I am so pleased to have "little" NAUSIKAA. I can affort her so she will not be up for sail as long as I live. I don't need to have large and expensive crews nor must I spend more money than most of us ever will have on maintaining her. Nor, and most importantly, do I have to compete in the one-upmanship of superyacht ownership; selling last years yacht to buy a bigger, faster, ships just because the Jones' have a new one.

What I do have is a small craft I care a lot for withouth having half the Chinese national debt to pay every year to maintain her.

Thanks God for small boats ------------- SMALL SHIP'S - SMALL PROBLEMS!

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #3
Admiral

Don't get me wrong, I love my boat as well. However, I often wonder if the owners of those mega yachts enjoy their boats as much as we love ours. I really don't see how they could be as attached not having personally put blood sweat and tears into the building and maintenance of the vessel.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
I often wonder if the owners of those mega yachts enjoy their boats as much as we love ours. I really don't see how they could be as attached not having personally put blood sweat and tears into the building and maintenance of the vessel.
Exactly my point!

........... and case in point perhaps

Phots from Faaborg, Denmark in July of this year
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00031_edited.JPG   DSC00032_edited.JPG  

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Admiral

You must admit that it is strangely enjoyable to look at something beautiful that you can't possible afford and wonder what you would do with it if you owned it...party, more parties, bikini photo shoots....
Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
You must admit that it is strangely enjoyable to look at something beautiful that you can't possible afford and wonder what you would do with it if you owned it...party, more parties, bikini photo shoots....
I think I must be slightly perverse.....when I see a boat / ship I do wonder what I could do with it. My thoughts don't directly go to parties with bikini clad girls but more to what improvements I could make, where I could sail to with such a craft etc. Once those major things are established then the bikini parties will be sorted. It is a question of priorities - and possibly age

Aye

Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Admiral

Hey, if you can have the boat, the bikini clad girls fall into the same fantasy without question of age. I'm sure it will include cabin boys for the ladies among us as well.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I think I must be slightly perverse.....when I see a boat / ship I do wonder what I could do with it.

Stephen
Why work in the bilges removing hair from the bilge pump impeller ? - Why clear the toilet which some innocent visitor blocked?

When you could be out here with Tiger - WHY?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine_Holes.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	117
Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Why clear the toilet which some innocent visitor blocked?
Innocent visitors don't block toilets!!! In fact, is there such a thing as an innocent visitor?

I am not a golfing man but a general recommendation on that course would be to avoid the water hinders. The club house might get a bit noisy at times too. I'll just settle for a quiet drink at Raffles instead.

Cheers // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 08-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Quote:
Hi

We went for an afternoon jolly last month on motor yacht Called Sanooucii Star It was very nice the owner was just a normal guy no bikini clad girls probably wouldn't know what to do if they were there (Besides the wife came as well)

We had a lovely afternoon but I wouldnt swap my little 35' for her 53 meters

There are 4 permanent crew Skipper, Engineer, Cook and Deckie I expect they all double up on their duties.

Name:	SaccStarand_Commdorant.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	146

The Owner owns both vessels

Name:	BarLounge.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	147

this was a good place to start

Name:	guaestcabin.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	145

This is where we ended up (In my Dreams)

We had an afternoon of what ifs, It did bring home how the other half live

Maybe my 6 numbers will come up. I still dont think I want one this large

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
The question I raise, is if you could afford a super or mega yacht, then where would you go? Given a big enough sea, all yachts/ships rock'n'roll, therefore, would you only be stuck to inshore & coastal waters? I tend to think that smaller boats are better, if not for the fact of less crew & offshore maintenance issues, but also that the fine china & crystal won't be smashing (because you have it on board)!
Saccounouci Star can not get into many harbours on the SE England coast as their are not any pontoons long enough. even if pontoons are long enough turning and manourvering are problematic

I personally believe that you can go too big unless your going to turn it into a business

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Can you imagine what the insurance premium must be?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
Correction, should read: (because you don't have it on board). I.e. you don't have breakables onboard. Which remains me, has anybody else ever wondered about all the other lose furniture/appliances that must "fly around & smash" in a super/mega yacht during a rough crossing (even with unanticipated weather changes)???

PS. Why can't one edit more than 1 previous post?
Surely you would deploy the stabilisers that would stop all that rolly poly motion therefore no china would get smashed or just use plastic beakers

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
Lieutenant

The stabilsers were a bit tongue in cheek I know that on the croos Channell ferries they use them a lot.

The weather in the Cook St does get up a bit I was reading somewhere today about a Russian Cruise Liner taken a wrong turn thro a small chanel and running aground. Also a ferry getting washed up on the rocks near Wellingtonsaid it was something to do with 2 weather fronts meeting at Wellington.

They dont call it Windy Wellington for nothing.(maybe its the population)

When I was out there in the 70s it was a lovely place apart from the pubs closing early

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestsailer View Post
The stabilsers were a bit tongue in cheek I know that on the croos Channell ferries they use them a lot.

The weather in the Cook St does get up a bit I was reading somewhere today about a Russian Cruise Liner taken a wrong turn thro a small chanel and running aground. Also a ferry getting washed up on the rocks near Wellingtonsaid it was something to do with 2 weather fronts meeting at Wellington.
Thought this was funny...

From The Cargo Letter - Tues. Oct. 15 2002

"Full Speed Ahead! >> 41,570dwt, 2,987 TEU container M/V Alva Star (ex- Norasia Star, ex- MSC Jasmine, ex- Norasia Malta), Haifa for Kepec, Croatia -- ran into a 100 meter high cliff at full cruising speed! The "short cut" was not optimal.

"In other words, M/V Alva Star rammed the Souh East corner of Zakinthos Island, Greece -- burying its bulbous bow in rocks & 25 meters of vessel on Oct. 3, 2002.

"The cause was reportedly human error. Oh, geeez, do you think? Perhaps the "ex's" of this vessel show some bad luck. A ship will rebel after so many names!

"Greek officials report an intention to install stop lights off their Islands.

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	153[attachment=452:Photo4.jpg

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	157
Attached Thumbnails
photo2.jpg   photo3.jpg   Photo4.jpg  
Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

No doubt his next waypoint was just over the hill, down the cliff face, around the headland and just beyond the wharf.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Hi

Those waves look awesome wouldnt want to be out in them on my 35 footer

How often do you get storms that bad?

Are they becoming more frequent with Global Warming?

Those videos of the planes are a bit wobbly. I think Ill land at Aukland and take the train/car down when I visit

Steve