Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Admiral

Just received a radio message from a cruiser regarding visiting the BIOT Chagos archipelago. He was granted a 6 months permit to visit and anchor in Salomon and Peros Banos Atolls. In addition he was told that from the 1st January 2011, permits would only issued for 1 month

NB.. The website providing information re application to obtain permits does not mention the new limitation, which effectively puts an end to the many cruisers that spend a full sailing season in Chagos; see :C L I C K

Old 12-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Ensign

This is the official policy of BIOT as from January 2011.

"The rules governing mooring permits are due to change on 01 January 2011. The fee structure will move to a weekly fee of £50 and the maximum stay permitted will be 28 days. Applications for visits in 2011 that are received in 2010 still attract the old fee of £100 per month but the Commissioner will NOT authorise any permits of more than 3 months."

Cheers

Bill

Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenain View Post

This is the official policy of BIOT as from January 2011.

"The rules governing mooring permits are due to change on 01 January 2011. The fee structure will move to a weekly fee of £50 and the maximum stay permitted will be 28 days. Applications for visits in 2011 that are received in 2010 still attract the old fee of £100 per month but the Commissioner will NOT authorise any permits of more than 3 months."

Cheers

Bill
Thanks Bill,

Do have you an official link for the above information? The UK government certainly know how to gouge - double the fees !

I wonder if they have also doubled the penalties?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Thanks Bill,

Do have you an official link for the above information? The UK government certainly know how to gouge - double the fees !

I wonder if they have also doubled the penalties?
This is not from the official link, but it is a verbatim extract from a BIOT email, which we recieved with our 2011 mooring permit, with the "new rules". No changes to the penalties, but you are now only allowed to catch 3 days worth of fish, whatever that means!

Cheers

Bill
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenain View Post

This is not from the official link, but it is a verbatim extract from a BIOT email, which we recieved with our 2011 mooring permit, with the "new rules". No changes to the penalties, but you are now only allowed to catch 3 days worth of fish, whatever that means!

Cheers

Bill
Hello Bill,

Your post prompted me to speak to the BIOT Administrator in London. She advised that the amendments to the rules etc,, etc,, will be updated in their website before the weekend (18th/19 Dec) I came away with the feeling that officialdom has no idea of the make up of the average cruiser who visits Chagos. I believe the provision regarding the date when the permit becomes active will have to be made more flexible - I can relate many instances where sailboats have had great difficulty in making the final 270nm passage between the Addu Atol (Gan-Maldives) and Salomon - Chagos because of the wind,current and the desire to conserve diesel for their stay in Chagos (Tacking added some 130nm)

BTW the fish question was answered :- "Fish caught must be for personal consumption, and be consumed within 3 days"

(Not sure what one does if you catch a 50lb Tuna and there is only 2 persons on the boat - forgot about the cat!)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Admiral

Well the week-end is almost here - and yet there is no sign of the new rules and regulations pertaining to visiting the northern atolls of the Chagos Archipelago in the Commissioner for the British Indian Ocean Territory's website.

In the meantime, the leaked documents regarding various discussions held between the US and UK governments makes interesting reading. The comment by the British Commissioner for the Biot that visiting yachts are to quote "Sea Gypsies" is illuminating in the least, when considering what the appellation "Gypsy* has in Europe.

The contents of these documents (if true and honest) make it hard to understand why visiting yacht are permitted to "moor" even for limited periods in Chagos, except when

complying with the articles regarding the Right of Innocent Passage as provided in the UN Convention of the Law of the Sea 1982.

US /Uk papers

UN - Law of the Sea
Old 12-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Admiral

Here is the text from the new fee structure for 2011 :-

They must need the money!

"S.I. No 1 of 2010

THE BRITISH INDIAN OCEAN TERRITORY

THE VISITORS AND VISITING VESSELS ORDINANCE 2006

The Visiting Vessels Mooring Fees and Permit Regulations 2006 Amendment Regulations 2010

In exercise of the power conferred on me by section 7 of the Visitors and Visiting Vessels Ordinance 2006 (hereinafter referred to as "the Ordinance"), I hereby make the following Regulations:

Citation and commencement. 1. These Regulations may be cited as the Visiting Vessels Mooring Fees and Permit Regulations 2006 Amendment Regulations 2010 and shall come into force on the first day of January 2011.

Amended Mooring Charge 2. Regulation 2 of the Visiting Vessels Mooring Fees and Permit Regulations 2006 is replaced by the following:

“2. (i) The mooring charge payable under section 7 of the Ordinance shall be £50 and shall entitle the holder of a permit and the persons named in the permit to moor the vessel named therein at all or any of the locations described in Schedule 1 of the Ordinance during the period of 7 days set out in the permit issued.

(ii) No permit shall be issued to permit the holder to moor a vessel in the Territory for more than 28 consecutive days.

18th day of November 2010

Colin Roberts

Commissioner