Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi sueandphillip, welcome to the forum. The information regarding a CAIT which I posted, is as supplied by two different sources. The first is the Darwin Sailing Club which provides a service in conjunction with the Indonesian Government, to 150 yachts per year travelling from Darwin to Indonesia. The second is information provided to me by cruising friends who arrived in Bali from Darwin just 8 weeks ago.

I do not doubt your success in applying for and being granted a CAIT and I hope others can replicate your success. However, the official line is always worth considering when seeking entry to a foreign port. Making time concessions in particular is important to avoid any bureaucratic troubles upon arrival.

Again, I applaud your success. Bearing in mind s/y Furai Batsu secured a CAIT and entered Indonesia for a grand total of $25 without any troubles at all, I wonder what the cost is, of doing the same thing through an agent.

Are you still sailing through SE Asia?

Very best wishes.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
It still does not work with the "@" replaced
I just successfully sent an email to that address. Haven't received a reply, yet.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I just successfully sent an email to that address. Haven't received a reply, yet.
Hi Jeanne, I tried cait@indo.net.id it still does not take me to the website of :

Kustajorno Projolalito - what did you discover about the bond?

Maybe a blockage in this part of the world

Richard
Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #24
Admiral

More news here - but no definitive info :- http://www.josc.org/

Indonesian Visas :- http://www.indonesianembassy.org.uk/consul..._type_free.html
Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #25
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Jeanne, I tried cait@indo.net.id it still does not take me to the website of :

Kustajorno Projolalito - what did you discover about the bond?

Maybe a blockage in this part of the world

Richard
cait@indo.net.id is an email address. *I sent an email which simply said, "just testing. *Is this the address to apply for an Indonesian CAIT?" *I did not inquire about the bond. *Will do so today.

The reply was,

"Yes this is an e-mail address for applying CAIT.

Best Regards,

Kus Projolalito."

SY WATERMELON |

Old 10-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #26
Admiral

Follow-up on my email to cait@indo.net.id

I've received a further reply, which is reproduced here in its entirety:

"1. Herewith I send to you requirements for applying CAIT.

2. Yes, Indonesian government has new regulation asking for a bond for

yachts. But this is for yacht who are interested to stay in Indonesia for

more than 6 months and doing a charter business. The port who is implemented

this regulation is only Kupang in Timor. So for yacht coming from Darwin, I

suggest not to enter Kupang but other port.

Thank you for posting this e-mail to your forum and best regards from me,

Kus Prodjolalito
."

Attachment is copied here:

Requirements for applying Clearance Approval for Indonesian Territory (CAIT) :

1. Copy passport of all crew. You may send it by mail or email, not by fax.

2. A passport photo of the captain by mail or email.

3. Copy of Yacht certificate/Yacht registration and call sign of the boat.

4. Last port of call before entering Indonesia

5. First port of call after leaving Indonesia

6. Itinerary and date of visit

7. If your visit is for more than 1 month and maximum 3 months, we will issue a sponsor letter addressed to Indonesian Embassy/Consulate to request Social and Cultural Visit Visa.

8. Agency fee is Rp.1.600.000,- (for boat not more than 20 m length) and sponsor letter

is Rp.250.000,-.

For boat more than 20 m length, agency fee is Rp 2.500.000,-. More than 40 m, agency fee is Rp 3.500.000,-

You may transfer agency fee through Western Union to :

Name : Arlytha Alda

Address : Semanggi Apartment # 2415

Jl.Gatot Subroto Kav 53B

Jakarta 10260

After you have made the transfer, please inform us Money Transfer Control Number ( MTCN ) of Western Union.

9. Please inform us where of Indonesian Embassy/Consulate you are going to request your visa from

10. We need to know where we have to send your original CAIT and sponsor letter to. After knowing, we will quote to you, the courier cost to mail the original CAIT and sponsor letter to you.

11. We need 20 days to process your CAIT after receiving documents and payment

+++++

As of this date, October 19, 2007, exchange rates for Indonesia Rupiah*(IDR) are (I left out the small change, rounding up or down as appropriate):

USD $1.00 =*9009*IDR

AUD $1.00 = 8,087 IDR

EURO 1.00 = 12,877 IDR

SY WATERMELON |

Old 10-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #27
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thank you for following this through JeanneP.

As soon as I saw to "send money via Western Union" it set off alarm bells and prompted me to do a Google search on email addresses. names, addresses, etc.

It appears as if there are a number of such CAIT "agents" and they do offer this service (I wonder if they all work in the government office?). However, DO NOT deal with one who insists on a money transfer like Western Union, Moneygram, etc., and then, ONLY use one that comes recommended by other cruisers - but even then, NOT if you cannot do a direct bank transfer.

In a bank to bank transfer there is a trace to the receiver. With Western Union, you deposit the money in a WU office with ONLY a sender's name, receiver's name and a "secret question". You then receive a MTCN number which you pass on to the receiver along with the "secret question" and "answer" to this question. The receiver then goes to any Western Union office and draws the money on the strength of the MTCN number and question/answer - NO IDENTITY DOCS., PASSPORT, required. Once the money is collected there is no trace of the receiver.

NEVER SEND MONEY VIA WESTERN UNION TO SOMEONE THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW PERSONALLY. Also, NEVER send money to someone that will only correspond using a "free" email/webmail address such as Hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc., as every "normal" business will have their own registered domain name.

One of the Googled results from the info supplied in JeanneP's post above: HERE - this appears to be from the same "office" but note the differences.

These "agents" do appear to offer a service but, be careful.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

This makes me feel a whole lot happier about the above: page from the Indo Embassy in Singapore.

However, insist on a "formal" method of payment.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #29
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It seems the difficulty all along has been jointly with Indonesian interests in the marine pleasure market who in lobbying against a perceived threat, have been a little over enthusiastic in promoting their 'spin'. And, with Indonesian authorities who want to pass the buck to privateers rather than make direct statements when it comes to interpretation of policy.

We are now back where we were in June with a reasonable belief that the levy is imposed on boats which are being temporarily imported for commercial reasons (imagine the cost of taking a yacht into the country for exhibition at a boat show).

Thanks Jeanne and Richard for your assistance...I am still hopeful of receiving an official statement of policy from the Indonesian Embassy in Canberra, Australia.

Advice to yachts visiting Indonesia must carry warnings to ensure you apply early for your CAIT and insist on detailed official receipts for any money paid.

It must be said in conclusion that the storm which rages throughout the marine sector regarding this issue, has largely had no practical effect upon visiting yotties. Reports from Indonesia continue to to show the officials as pleasant, efficient and mainly friendly...and that clearing in and out is a relatively painless and inexpensive affair.

Let us hope the rumours now can be put to rest.

Cheers

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #30
Admiral

If Cruisers are hesitant about applying for the CAIT through unknown agents - the one place is the Bali International Marina that has a good reputation for this service - address :-

Bali Marina, Benoa Harbor, Bali - Indonesia

Tel: +(62) 361 723-601, 723-602, Fax: +(62) 361 723-604

Contact Person: Haryo (0812-384-2037)

infoATbalimarina.com

http://www.balimarina.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are in correspondence with Indonesian Bureau of Customs in Jakarta on the far more pressing separate issue of the imposition of an import duty on visiting yachts - awaiting clarification as to exactly who /what shall be effected by the tariff.

Richard

Tags
indonesia