Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

While visiting Thailand for a month this past Dec/Jan, I fell in love with the country and culture. I spent awhile at a "resort" near Krabi. While visiting with a local expat I learned that long tail boats could be purchased there. Does anyone have the particulars?

Since I love to poke around in different nooks and cranies of different parts of the world by sea (and foot), I have decided to downsize from my cruising sailboat(s) to cruising "dinghies" . I now have a cruising dinghy in British Columbia for the summer months in Canada. My goal is to have at least one more in SE Asia. Don't laugh (yet), when you are a 60-yr old female salt, you may become creative, too!

There are so many possibilities! I am changing my motto of "It's a great life if you don't weakin!"

Suzy Q

Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltea View Post
While visiting Thailand for a month this past Dec/Jan, I fell in love with the country and culture. I spent awhile at a "resort" near Krabi. While visiting with a local expat I learned that long tail boats could be purchased there. Does anyone have the particulars?
Hi Suzy Q - I am based in Singapore and have travelled extensively in Asia. Not sure what you mean by "Long Tail Boats."

Also not sure what your traveling interests are but am willing to disucss and help if I can. I sail a Maxi 77 in and around the Singpaore/Malaysian waters.

Owning and storing a boat in Asia is possible just not sure how to go about it in Thailand. My experience is that boats less than around 30ft transfer by word of mouth rather than advertising.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #3
Admiral

Hello Suzy Q,

I attach a typical picture of long tails on a beach near Krabi , you will note the different sizes of boats and also different sizes of engines that are balanced on the transom.

To operate the average Long Tail requires quite a lot of upper body strength - first, if the engine is a former rice tractor engine then it will be a hand start type - which requires winding the external flywheel with a crank handle with one hand while the other hand decompresses the exhaust valve. Once started, the whole engine is swung on its transom pivot, then the prop is dropped into the water to provide propulsion in a required direction.

Bigger engines (up to 8 cylinder) - also balanced on the transome are started electrically - these require a lot of strength and EXPERIENCE , certainly not for a first timer.

A small boat with small engine with long tail propulsion could be found 2nd hand for around

60,000 baht - at current rate +/- US $ 1500.

I think the best way to go would be to just find the boat - 25ft thereabouts with suitable transom for an outboard - then find electric start between 15 /25 hp . Design a sun awning - hire a recommended driver - take off - explore Phanga Bay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Longtails_on_the_Beach.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	86

Richard

Tags
thailand