Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Ensign

We have been looking for an alternative route from Singapore to Darwin. We figure we have to slip the boat before we arrive in Darwin and we can do that at Kudat in Northern Borneo aftr April I have looked at the pilots and other wind and wave information. We think we could sail to Manado then over the top of east Sulawesi across to Maluku Utara and then down to Ambon. Clear out there and sail eastly around the islands to Drop down to Darwin. We want to achive all this from August on.

There is so little information on wind and wave Heights but I have been studying buoy weather information and it appears do able however more information would be nice. Given the recent poor treatment of the Darwin to Kupang participants i.e (requiring Import duty payment) I don't really want to come that way as I am told the Ambon people are very happy to just get the paperwork done.

Our boat is 54 ft Herman Boro centre cockpit Cutter rigg.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome,

When do you plan to leave Singapore? The transition from southerly winds to NE's takes place in Mid October through November - here is tomorrow's synoptic chart Click image for larger version

Name:	wxchart_18aug08.gif
Views:	6
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	577

Do I understand that you will clear in at Ambon and also clear out at Ambon ?? Is there a reason to lift the Boat in Kudat ? What nationality boat and Skipper ? I have boats making similar passages around the same time - that's the reason for the questions.

At some stage it would be very useful to have any details of what occurred to the Rally partcipants - Darwin >>> Indonesian Islands - 26 July 08.

Richard

Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Ensign

The boat is Australian registered and Skipper and crew Australian Residents.

We don't plan to leave Singapore until or around April, I will be taking the boat down to Sebina Cove from Langkawi in February- March then wait for the weather to change in April to Sail to Borneo.

Boat has to be paint prior to entering Australia as it will need antifouling about then anyway. Things may change as I may do the antifouling in Satun before coming down to Sebina cove.

I was intending clear in Manodo, then clear out of Indonesia in Ambon.

As to the rally I am very interested in getting some feed back. I have had some information of late and as of today I recieved a copy of the september issue of the cruising helmsman with an article about That area of Indonesia however they sailed west of Sulawesi not where I would like to sail. There is another article ( more like a sailing Guide) that took 6 months to sail through the area which the ladies from Noonsite sent me from Steve and Lyn on a 48 ft yacht named Carrillon

also I have been emailing Jean-Francois Cormerais and he has said some interesting things.

Regards

David

Tags
darwin