Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Ensign

Can someone tell me when would be the best time of year to sail from Malaysia to the Persian Gulf. I have work in the UAE, and would like to get my boat up there.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello Megan,

Welcome another Multihuller !

Once the S.W. monsoon completes it's cycle - usually mid November (although transition may take place from SW to Ne during October) Therefore to be sure, load up with some extra diesel and make your way - say to to Similan islands on Thailand's West coast - plan to leave at the end of November and head west staying above the shipping lane , duck around Sri Lanka and head straight for the strait of Hormuz.

Richard

Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Ensign

Megan,

I've just joined this site and see that you are in a similar position to myself. I have a boat (SY SKARDU) currently in Phuket, half-way around a circumnavigation from England to England. I am looking to sail across the Indian Ocean during '09, and am weighing up the options of heading down to South Africa and around the Cape, or up through the Red Sea to the Med.

I am also looking for the latest possible start date from Thailand to start heading West. From some geneal enquiries there, it seems that a lot of cruisers prepare themselves for the Westwards passage over the Christmas and New Year period, and then head off in Jan sometime, but it might be still ok to go as late as Feb. It you (or anyone else) has any further information to add to this, it would be really appreciated.

Another similarity!... is that the reason that I am trying to go as late as possible is that I also currently have to get some work (money!) under the belt before I go, and might be in the UAE from next week until about Christmas! Maybe we could meet up and discuss plans if you are also there?!

Good luck and best regards,

Tristan
Old 09-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

@ Megan

See the "North Indian Ocean Passage" on the Cruising Wiki - HERE. Not a lot of info yet but some that may assist you with your planning.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malaysia