Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi All

Hope to be sailing into the Philippines from HK in October.

If anyone has recent experience with the charges could they reply please.

Reading the (dated) posts on the Noonsite forum it seems that corruption is widespread among the officials and charges can vary from Port to Port.

Additionally there are the 'Special Services' charges, 'de-ratting' charges etc. that can be applied randomly.

Is there a 'cheap' port-of-entry?

Any info most welcome.

Cheers

Joe

Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi,

See what you can find on our Cruising Wiki. Go to the Philippines Page and for any additional info then click through to the Puerto Galera Yacht Club and make email contact with them.

Let us know what you find out for any possible additions to the Wiki.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Ensign

We arrived Davao in December 2007 and we were not charged anything - not a single peso! No "fees and no "special services fees". I must admit I was very surprised. I did read somewhere that there are inconsistencies in how officials regulate in each port - from extravagant charges in Subic to no charges in Mindanao. I guess sometimes it depends who you get when you arrive. This is not great news for you and also, Mindanao is the farthest point from HK .

Cheers,

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
wiskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Ensign

This is a quoted phrase from our friend's email to us. SV Gaia sailed from Palau to Visayas sometime in January 2008:

"Cebu was more expensive we later learned than Tagloban where Aventura checked in. We paid 3000 for immigration and 2500 for quarantine. No charge for customs. Aventura paid about half that for immigration and nothing for quarantine because thay did not go there and decided to leave well enough alone when we all met up again in Cebu."

Hope this helps,

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskun View Post
This is a quoted phrase from our friend's email to us. SV Gaia sailed from Palau to Visayas sometime in January 2008:

"Cebu was more expensive we later learned than Tagloban where Aventura checked in. We paid 3000 for immigration and 2500 for quarantine. No charge for customs. Aventura paid about half that for immigration and nothing for quarantine because thay did not go there and decided to leave well enough alone when we all met up again in Cebu."

Hope this helps,

Ellen
Hi Ellen

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, it sounds like the charges are variable depending on where you enter.

Overall though, it seems like the rates are settling down in comparison to 2 or 3 years ago.

I will contact the Puerto Galera Yacht Club as well as the Tonga Sail-inn resort further south on Negros for some advice.

Also I'm curious to know if you ventured south into the Sula Bay or the southern islands?>

The reports of piracy are greatly exaggerated , according to local sources.

Is it media hysteria or is the southern island genuinely becoming more extreme?

Cheers and Regards

Joe
Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicJoe View Post
Also I'm curious to know if you ventured south into the Sula Bay or the southern islands?>

The reports of piracy are greatly exaggerated , according to local sources.

Is it media hysteria or is the southern island genuinely becoming more extreme?
No we did not venture into the Sulu sea. We came from Palau straight to the gulf of Davao. We've encountered fishing boats checking up on their "fish attraction devices" about 150 miles off the eastern Mindanao coast, is all. In the gulf, (we arrived at night), the fishermen came close without their lights just to check up on us but never bothered us at all. I can vouch that Davao Gulf, and the eastern coast of Mindanao is safe. We have met up with a Kiwi in Palau who sailed Philippines for a long time and he told us that he had sailed through the Sulu Sea several times with no problems. He never stopped, of course, just passed through. I think a lot of the news is all media hype. I haven't really heard of piracy attacks on sailing vessels; but maybe this is because there are very few sailing vessels coming by this way.

I encountered a website, owned by an American living in Mindanao, and he explains it well: http://mindanao.com/blog/?p=1911. I think one should just take normal precautions, just like anywhere else, i.e. not venture into isolated areas, remain lowkey, etc and it should be fine. We've been warned in Solomons and in PNG, and we were fine there too. Some yachts were boarded in Solomons, but then they left all their hatches open when they went ashore. Here in the Philippines, my husband who is Norwegian, is told to cover up from head to toe when he goes mountain biking so no one will know he is "white"( there is this crazy belief here that when you are "white" you are super rich.) But this is going overboard - he'll more likely suffer heatstroke than be ambushed . All he gets are locals calling him "Hey Joe" all the time.

Cheers,

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-31-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi Ellen

Thanks for the informed response.

Will certainly try and visit now that I've gotten a more balanced view of the situation.

Cheers and Regards

'Hey' Joe (watcha doin' with that gun in your hand)
Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Ensign

4000 pesos in dumaguete negros to clear out,1600 in maasin leyte, ROLLING bad ,to check in

the check out

we where 4, so i suppose ,it makes a lot of rich joe

but it s negotiable for sure because we didn t pay

and they still stamp our passport nice of them

nice contry wonderful people