Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all,

Just wanted to share our favorable reports on the Maya Maya Yacht Club and Marina in Batangus, Philippines. For those that do not know, it's about 60 miles south of Subic Bay and 45 miles north of Puerto Galera.

We've been in here for one month and it's been simply great - the staff is super friendly, the restaurant has great food, the owner helpful and kind, the general crowd (if one can call it that) also full of help and great for chatting with and the marina safe and convenient.

If one had to hole up for any length of time for whatever reason Maya as proven a gem in this region. It is at the end of the road, so to speak, hence the quiet atmosphere, but it's easy enough to catch a bus from Nasugbu to Manila if you have business there.

Best of all, if you do lots of work on the net, they provide free wi-fi and your office has a view and a breeze at the bar/restaurant. If you need somewhere like this I'd suggest contacting the owner for rates - bato@mayamaya.com

Best regards,

Jay on Tank Girl

Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Admiral

Thanks Jay,

Useful info !!

To get there by boat go to N 14° 06.93' x E 120° 36.762'

Richard

Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Ensign

Richard - can I also put a plug in here for Subic Bay? I don't know why, but I always heard 'bad' rumors about the place. Had three friends do simple bottom jobs to complete refits there recently and they loved the experience. I did a couple weekends there looking for vendors and material for a project and came across nothing but incredibly helpful people.....it was refreshing to ask and get an immediate answer that proved spot on. Sometimes rare in the PI.

There's Water Craft Ventures where one can haul out just look it up online and ask for Mario - great helpful guy - and the yard has a fair bit of space and good enough machine shop for simple stuff. It's right next door to the SBYC. There's a ramp 25 feet wide or so and they can crane into deep water as well as a Travel-Lift (mono width).

There's also Electruck which has a giant crane - looks like an old navy left-over, but people are hauling there. Mark Henderson is a contact for that at Electruck Pacific.

There's also a metal fab shop at the race track (near airport) that works in ally and I think steel. Can't recall the company name, but the guy's name is Lyle and if someone is serious about needing that kind of thing they can pm me and I'll pass on his cell.

Vasco's at Magellen's Landing is a neat spot with ancient treasures in a private museum that owner Brian brought up from under himself. Beautiful restaurant over-looking the bay. Looks like Brian also welds steel, makes dive suits, repairs the professional diver suits and I think fabric sew work too.

Next to Vasco's is Broadwater Marine. Rod is the man in charge I believe. The store is very well stocked and the staff accommodating and helpful.

If you need a mid sized to huge RIB there is Advanced Composite Systems near that huge crane. Duncan is your go-to guy for that.

There are many more competent vendors, fabricators and such related to the marine industry. So if anyone is in the area it's worth a look if you need to work on your boat, ship, whatever. I'm still scratchin' my head about the rumors.....everyone else must want to keep it a secret! ;-) Best of all it's just rather quiet, clean and not crowded with traffic. Takes a while to drive there from Manila....almost faster by sailboat if you're in the Manila to Puerto Galera area. Ask around, there are places to anchor next to businesses if the YC is outta your budget or one prefers swinging. I was told most run to the YC for typhoons though....it was not full by any means.

best - Jay

ps - if one gets late into Maya Maya just anchor in the middle of the bay till you figure how the marina works. It shelves up to 5m of sand in the middle of the long beach...you'll see (faintly) Maya to the west and a big private house with bright lights and blue roof to the east. It's coral close in to Maya. Dead of night no problem, just use a light to spot the 2-4 fishtraps marked by floating plastic bottles and drop when ya hit that 5-10m mark aiming between the noted above.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Admiral

Hello Jay,

Thanks very much for the write up on Subic Bay. Good to have really positive 1st hand experience.

I guess The volcano's effects have taken a long time to wear off. Also the negative reports regarding the management and lack of finance dogging the Subic Bay Yacht Club has not helped.

Have you got a map of Subic? It would be great to pin point facilities and place it on our Cruising Wiki.

Thanks again!!!