Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
Ensign

I plan to be in SE Asia during Nov/Dec. I was in Thailand for 3 wks last winter and loved it. I am considering buying another boat and cruising the Andaman Sea and beyond??? Perhaps this area will become my winter retreat. I considered buying a boat in Langkawi about 5 years ago but I wasn't prepared for the committment.

I barely know where to begin. I plan to fly in to Phuket as it is a mecca for cruisers. I would like to learn as much as possible about cruising this part of the world by talking to fellow cruisers. I sold my last sailboat about 2 years ago after breaking my collar bone. Between that and the fact that I am getting too old to keep sailing single handed, I decided to give up on the sea. What was I thinking???? Buying the rowboat this summer helped to bring me out of my depression brought on by that stupid decision. So, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should stay while doing my research? I am considering the Yacht Haven Marina and the Royal Phuket Marina in Phuket.

I am considering a small power boat. I love catamarans. I would think they would be popular in this part of the world.

I am a dreamer but I have always lived my dreams. Since I retired as a commercial pilot 7 seven years ago, I crewed on boats in the Pacific and the Caribbean. I bought a boat and cruised the SW coast of British Columbia, the SE coast of the US and the Bahamas (single handed). I hauled it across from Vancouver to Florida and again to Cheasepeak Bay behind my pick up.

So, I plan to get some local knowlege, do some local cruising and PERHAPS buy another boat. I may be better off to buy or rent a place to stay and just rent boats. I am giving myself a two-month time frame for this initial trip; however, I may just stay on for a few months longer. I love being retired!!!

Are there special concerns regarding the fact that I am a woman? Any advice would be appreciated.

Suzy Q

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello Susy Q,

Some of your questions have been answered in your other post ' Sailing Crew looking etc ...'

To answer the other points raised in this post ie ::

I plan to fly in to Phuket as it is a mecca for cruisers. I would like to learn as much as possible about cruising this part of the world by talking to fellow cruisers.

Phuket is certainly a good place to start - however, if you want to stay for 2/3 months make sure that you get a Thai tourist visa in Canada - not at 30 day on arrival - link to Thai Consulate in Vancouver :- http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/ind...1&Itemid=49. However, keep in mind Langkawi as the other major cruising destination - Telaga has merit with good contacts.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should stay while doing my research? I am considering the Yacht Haven Marina and the Royal Phuket Marina in Phuket.

There is nowhere to stay in either of the the above - the best option is Au Cha Long - many contacts there.

Are there special concerns ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Be street wise - watch out for the Con artists - get good introductions

Actual personal contacts by name can't be given on open forum - once you decide what/where your best options are, either PM me or email.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
Ensign

Hello Richard,

Thank you so much for the detailed info. I have to restrain myself from hopping the next flight. I need to do as much research and prepare before departing.

Regards,

Suzy Q
Old 10-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltea View Post
Hello Richard,

Thank you so much for the detailed info. I have to restrain myself from hopping the next flight. I need to do as much research and prepare before departing.

Regards,

Suzy Q
While doing my research I came across a great website for inexpensive travel/ lodging/restuarants. It also gives an

authentic viewpoint of the town. I found it via Lonely Planet. The website is www.travelfish.org. I think I'll head for Oa Cha Long, first.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Ensign

Hello out there,

Just so you know I am serious, I have booked the flight and arrive BKK on Nov 14th.

Cheers,

Suzy Q
Old 10-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

May I wish you the best of luck with your plans - a great region for cruising.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I will be sailing there from Darwin in April. I can't wait.....

Just watch out for the r-e-a-l-l-y high tides.

Cheers

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I will be sailing there from Darwin in April. I can't wait.....

Just watch out for the r-e-a-l-l-y high tides.

Cheers

David
Here are the tides for Phuket between 20Nov and 30 Nov. In Metres above Lowest Low Water. All in the middle of the night.

greatest differential = 2.8metres -- 9.1 ft. :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phuket_Tides.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	242
Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Ken
Ensign

Yacht Haven is a great place to start. Talk to Nick or Zara ... a great couple they run the marina and are usually very helpful. Accommodations are available but rustic would be a compliment. With the new additions. the marina it is the largest in the area. Only drawback to Yacht Haven is the distance from the rest of Phuket.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Yacht Haven is a great place to start. Talk to Nick or Zara ... a great couple they run the marina and are usually very helpful. Accommodations are available but rustic would be a compliment. With the new additions. the marina it is the largest in the area. Only drawback to Yacht Haven is the distance from the rest of Phuket.
Hello Ken ,

Welcome back, concur regarding Nick and Zara - great people - check the topic 'Marina Identified', in this forum, where some details on Yacht Haven are provided.

Some more info regarding the "rustic acccomodation" would be very useful, there are always people who for one reason or another have to sleep off their boat.

Agree proximity to the rest of Phuket is a problem.

Richard
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 AM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hello Ken ,

Welcome back, concur regarding Nick and Zara - great people - check the topic 'Marina Identified', in this forum, where some details on Yacht Haven are provided.

Some more info regarding the "rustic acccomodation" would be very useful, there are always people who for one reason or another have to sleep off their boat.

Agree proximity to the rest of Phuket is a problem.

Richard
Thanks Ken,

I'll try to stop by.

Suzy Q
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #12
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Nick and Zara - great people - check the topic 'Marina Identified', in this forum, where some details on Yacht Haven are provided.
Also see the "Yacht Haven" info in the WIKI.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
Ensign

Hello,

I head out for Thailand tomorrow night, Nov 13th. I have received some great advice through Cruiser Log and it is much appreciated. I have good contacts established in Ao Chalong, Phuket. I hope the Chalong Yacht Club will play an important role in my trip (future?). I still plan to check out Satun Province and Langkawi, though MMNETSEA has given me a heads up on Ko Lipe.

In the past I have just jumped on my boat or plane on the spur of the moment and cast my fate to the wind. Now that I only have a dinghy and no plane, I do a lot more research. I also don't have so much time left anymore.

So....go out there and live your dreams while the getting is good.

Fair Winds

Suzy Q

Sarah
Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #14
Ensign

Hello Richard and All,

The Cha Long Yacht Club is what I would consider every ExPat's dream. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. I met a very friendly, active group of racers there and exhanged burgees. I didn't sail with them as I was anxious to head further south in to lesser known waters.

I spent most of my time exploring remote islands in the southern Adaman Sea. There were few sailboats there (lots of longtail boats) and light winds.

Ko Lipe was my favorite island.

Happy Holidays,

Suzy Q
Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #15
Admiral

Hello Suzy Q,

Glad you enjoyed the ACYC - and Koh Lipe Island !

Got some pictures to share ??

Richard