Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Hello,

where should one order sails from in SE Asia? I know about Lee Sails in HK, Rolly Taskers in Thailand. Bad experience with any of them? Any other to try?

Many thanks

Petr

s/y Janna, https://www.klubko.net
klubko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
Hello,

where should one order sails from in SE Asia? I know about Lee Sails in HK, Rolly Taskers in Thailand. Bad experience with any of them? Any other to try?

Many thanks

Petr
Petr,

It might be helpful if you give some idea of the type of sails that your are looking for - the range of material, design and price is almost without limit.

Besides Cheong Lee Sails and Rolly Tasker Sails - in South East Asia we have :-

North Sails

Neil Pryde Sails

Hood Sails

Quantum Sails

Hyde Sails

Sails East

Hong Kong Sailmakers

and that list may not be all.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Oops sorry for being vague. I have asked for quote on battenless, cross cut dacron mainsail, slab reefing, pretty basic mainsail. Many thanks for advice and personal experience with the lofts

Petr

Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Oops sorry for being vague. I have asked for quote on battenless, cross cut dacron mainsail, slab reefing, pretty basic mainsail. Many thanks for advice and personal experience with the lofts

Petr
Petr,

Where is you boat located?

What type of sail : Racing ? Cruising? Dual Purpose?

What Size ?

And what final weight ? this question most important in terms of where you are located relative to the sail maker - ie : the cost of freight and insurance.

While Lee in Hong Kong have an excellent reputation for 'value for money' if you are in Peninsula Malaysia or Thailand then the freight cost offsets the FOB quote.

Asking for experience with particular sailmakers may result in answers that will not be helpful.

Many times sails are made to specifications supplied by the boat owner only to find that they don't fit --- because the measurements supplied in the first place were inaccurate.

Look for sailmakers that a. have been around for a long time, and b. whose main production is in the type of sails that match your boats criteria.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
Lieutenant

I suppose you are right, my question was too general. My boat is now in Singapore, but heading to HK soon. I was asking mainly because I got quote from Lee Sails which was much lower than Taskers and from what I have heard, Lee Sails make good sails. I will soon be in need of new, crusing sail for 30' boat, and it can definitely wait till HK.

Many thanks

Petr

Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
I suppose you are right, my question was too general. My boat is now in Singapore, but heading to HK soon. I was asking mainly because I got quote from Lee Sails which was much lower than Taskers and from what I have heard, Lee Sails make good sails. I will soon be in need of new, crusing sail for 30' boat, and it can definitely wait till HK.

Many thanks

Petr
Hi Petr,

Now that we know that the boat is in Singapore, you might ask Quantum Sails in Melaka a little more than 60 nautical miles away to quote you - at least with a new main your boat will be happier on its passage to Hong Hong :-

Quantum Loft :

Address

No. 3 Jalan TU45

Taman Tasik Utama

Ayer Keroh, Melaka 75450

Malaysia

Email

salesmalaysiaATquantumsails.com

Phone

+606-231-6145 ext 203

+60 (12) 623-3346

About Quantum Malaysia Loft

Serving Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and the rest of SE Asia.

It might be worth a personal visit?

Richard
Old 05-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Thanks Richard,

already did. I am waiting for their quote and already have their address in my book

Petr

Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
Ensign

I live in Japan and sail out of Yokohama. I was recently quoted an astonishing US$12,000 for a tanbark suit of main, hi-cut staysail, and hi-cut jib for my BCC by a sail maker here. Lee Sails provided a quote at much less than 50% of that and included an assymetrical spinnaker. This price difference encourages a degree of risk-taking. Never for a minute forgetting "you get what you pay for" though, questions about cloth and fittings quality, workmanship, delivery times, communications, shipping costs, and so on have come up in discussions with my skeptical Japanese sailing friends.

As I am in the market for new sails, I too would appreciate any comments on what other cruisers have experienced with their sail makers in the region. In particular, I'd like to hear whether you received what you ordered on time (or at least within the your timeframe) and at the price you agreed upon.

As most cruisers know: "Forewarned is forearmed."

Warren Fraser

BCC Voyager of Yokohama

"As a system increases in complexity to infinity, the mean time between failures approaches zero."
Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Thanks Warren for supporting my cause

Actually I did some search and Lee Sails seem to have pretty good reputation and apparently they have the lowest prices. I am still waiting with my order and hoping for more insight by people who have sails from local lofts or are able to compare.

Petr

Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #10
Admiral

"As a system increases in complexity to infinity, the mean time between failures approaches zero"

Hello Warren,

The nearest sailmakers to you are those in Hong Kong, there is an agent in Tokyo for Hongkong Sailmakers Agent

I had a look at their website - NOT that inspiring - but it might be worthwhile getting a quote as a bench mark (they claim to be a 1/3rd of the other Japanese suppliers)

In all the years that I have had reports on Lee Sails in Hong Kong - the feedback has been consistently good to excellent. Neil Pryde in Hong Kong are much more expensive catering for the racing and cruiser/racing community.

Sail East is worth getting a quote from : Click

Warren, is your BCC a Bristol Channel Cutter 28 like this one ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCC_28.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	468

A really good offshore big boat packed into a small space !

Richard
Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Ensign

My original reply seems to have been lost in the ether.

Thanks Richard for the information. I'll check out the links. Good to have options, always.

Yes, my boat is a Bristol Channel Cutter. I purchased her on 07/07/07 and have slowly been kitting her out simply. I follow the Pardey credo, except for an engine and basic electronics. She's wonderfully fun to sail and has surprised more than a few people with her speed. The vessel in the photo is Surprise, and is for sale on Yachtworld. She's more finely finished than Voyager of Yokohama, and a real gem. Sure to satisfy some lucky (and wealthy) buyer.

Regards,

Warren Fraser