Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Admiral

Cruising really big rivers = Was in Vientiene the capital of Laos yesterday - The Lao and the Thai call 'Vientiene' "Wian Chan". Could not get transport back to the Eastern border of Thailand, the trains, buses were full - everyone was/is going to visit relations somewhere for New Year. Decided to take a river boat, could only find a 'long tail' Below is a typical Thai boat Click image for larger version

Name:	Thai Fishing Boat2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1635

- the one that I got on had a 90 hp Toyota diesel balanced on the transom. Because we were with the current, at times doing close to 30 knots (hand held GPS)

Left Vientiane 17° 40' N x 102° 40' E before midday

Tha Kek 17° 30' N x 104° 50' E

Suvannakhet 16° 25 N x 104° 35' E

Khemmarat 16° 00 N x 105° 10' E arrived here today 4.30 am

Picked up and drove home arriving in Thailand around 7am for coffee.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mekong-River.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1636

The Mekong River (Mae Nam Khong - in Thai and Lao)

Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I was in the Mekong Delta system a month ago, starting in Siem Reap (Cambodia) and then south via Phnom Penh to Chao Doc and then Vinh Long. It appears to me that the flow of that river is pretty much the only thing that stops a cruising class sailboat heading up river. There are few bridges if any that would stop a mast and depths appear to be all good, however the downstream flow around Chao Doc where I measured it roughly was around 9 or 10 knots. Going upstream into that would be a major effort or impossible in many boats.

Other than that it's a very pretty part of the world.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Cruising really big river=. Decided to take a river boat, could only find a 'long tail' Below is a typical Thai boat [attachment=3528:Thai Fishing Boat

- the one that I got on had a 90 hp Toyota diesel balanced on the transom. Because we were with the current, at times doing close to 30 knots (hand held GPS)

The Mekong River (Mae Nam Khong - in Thai and Lao)
Gooday Richard, yacht & Co. Tried this before & lost the whole msg. That's one almighty BIG river. WOW !! 30 kts in a 'long-tail' - now that IS fast especially when your sitting - eye level with the water !! Did you run all night? Adrenaline must have been aromatic. I'll bet a 'stubby' or 2 that was some ride & that there's much more of a story to all of that adventure. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

As under another heading - the very best for /11 - - I would like to thank y'all for such a wonderful effort that all of you 'moderators' put in (behind the scenes) to make WC&SF's work so well for all of us. I doffs me Akubra to ur'all (eh Bob). What a fine lot of 'like minded people from around the world you 'mob' are. If I took to writing volumes of words & prose I personally could not possibly express my sincere gratitude enough for all that you (collective) do. I'm equally sure that 99.999% of the rest of the 'Cruising & Sailing Forums' members feel the same. So - many THANKS to YOU ALL !!

I do note however that it must have some difficulties. Most new & some not so members that ask the myriad of questions on thousands of subjects do not take the time or consideration of others in this 'forum' to fill out their 'profile' or let us know who they are or just where they are coming from which makes it extremely arduous to construct a balanced answer directed at their request. Shame that !! It's almost as if they have a personal problem with letting others know who they really are in case we might get to know about them. Seems to be more prevalent in some places than others in this big world of ours. Another shame. If they would just fill-out their 'profiles', tell us 'lots' about who they are & what they want to do - - I'm sure the answers could be potentially expanded well beyond the knowledge of all our current answers.

Here's much hope that /11 will bring more positive & expanded communications amongst all of us. Now back to 'you mob' - I thank you, I wish you all well, I respect y'all & we send our love & best wishes. Ciao - from down-under, jj aka SR & 'geri-hat-trick'
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi James,

And Happy New Year to you - In Thailand :- สวัสดีปีใหม่ . Sawasdi Pi Mai -In Malaysia :- Bahagia Tahun Baru - In Vietnam :- Chúc mừng năm mới - in Cambodia :- Chaul Chnam Thmey

All of those celebrated along the Mekong - at the moment the River is down due to illegal extraction by the Chinese. In some ways similar to the Mississippi which if you are speeding down is fairly boring. That river's currents are around 4 knots, and has a narrow channel where the river barges are pushed up and down, and if you are in a sailboat the USCG make sure that you stay out of their way. In the Mekong one can go where you like.

Thanks for your kind comments re CL's mods, appreciated

Richard