Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard > Our Virtual Yacht Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #21
Lieutenant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Enjoyed a great 36 hour sail to Ensenada--a trip that should have taken about 10-12 hours No wind though. Such is the life of sailing and not using the motor!
What boatyard are you guys at? I'm planning on hauling at Driscolls/ Mission Bay this winter. I have talked to several people who were very unhappy with the local yards work and billing practices. Maybe you'd recomend a different place? Most places won't even touch a wooden boat anymore.

Sounds like your about a year ahead of me in progress. What a job huh? The end result is soo worth it though! Just to let you know, I also have a crane/ barge in Americas Cup Harbor if you need any crane work done, just let me know...ie- engine/gennie r/r. I help allott of the fisherman around here at virtually 0 cost...Don't be afraid to ask.

Good luck with the project, Steve

For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
islandseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #22

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Islandseeker,

Thanks for the crane work offer/info. The only crane work we have left to do (hopefully!) is setting the masts after we're in the water. That takes a pretty big crane--we'll end up getting bids from the local yards for the crane work as we do the rigging. We set the engine and genset a couple months ago with a crane here in the yard.

Here's a pic of the sticks being removed (and yes, that's a person up there next to the foremast):

Hauling out in San Diego is unjustifiably price-y IMHO. Then, the lay days will kill you. The only place that I know of that is sorta affordable and will allow you to do your own work would be Driscolls Mission Bay--which is probably what you've found. If you're properly insured and your wooden boat appears to be in good shape structurally (get an in the water survey!) almost all the San Diego yards are willing to do your haul out and bottom work, btw. The only one I know of that has a big "no!" on wooden boats is Shelter Island Boatyard--and even there I know of people who have badgered the yard into hauling out their (good shape, insured) boat. If your boat is in bad shape, you will have a hard time finding a haul-out location. Our uninsured boat (in terrible shape) was hauled out at Driscoll on Shelter Island in August 2006 when we started this project. Chuck Driscoll was great to us--we promised we'd pick up the pieces if it fell apart in the slings (literally) and he did a great job to make sure everything went smoothly.

Haulout Aug 06:

We initially went to a boatyard (inland) where we did work and the yard provided some labor between the fall of 2006 and spring of 2007. The yard was really too small for a big boat project and we had work schedule and other issues and decided to move in June 2007 to San Diego Boat Movers yard. We're at an inland location near the intersection of I15 and I8 (near Qualcomm Stadium and overlooking Admiral Baker golf course on Murphy Canyon).

June 07 moving into our current yard:

Regarding long-term work like we're doing: Because of the length of time we'd be out, it was worth the boat mover (overland) cost rather than pay San Diego waterfront lay day expense (for us lay days would have been $4000 or more per month). Because of the increased productivity and reduced yard rent, it was worth it for us to move a second time (overland) to this location a year ago. For small/medium projects, there are yards up in Orange county and down on Baja that would likely be a better deal for you. Depending on what work you'll be doing, for example, you can have Baja Naval haul you out and do the work (say bottom painting) for less money than just the haul out cost at a San Diego yard. When we do our first haul out (6 months to 1 year after we launch) to deal with seams, etc, we'll likely go there. We'll likely do the work ourselves and just pay them lay days (because we're control freaks)...

Looking forward to hearing more about your progress as you go along.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #23

Another week of boatyard living. Another week of painting and fixing going on. Another week of one burner cooking on a hotplate in the boatshed. Can't wait to get some semblance of a galley going on the boat! The only thing that has been surprisingly NOT a big deal is continuing to use the solar shower each day--works great.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #24

OK, time flies while we're working so hard. High points--the combings for the 3 large deck hatches and forward scuttle are firmly installed and properly sealed and we finally got up the nerve to cut the fairing block for the Interphase FLS transducers and "test fit" the transducer blocks--they're level and true so we can install them properly after the bottom paint is done . Low points--it sure takes a lot longer to do everything than we want it to

Today I'm painting and varnishing more and David is zip-tying all the various hoses, vents, etc...that is, after we've finished enjoying the morning off listening to National Public Radio's Click and Clack, the Prairie Home Companion, and Wait-Wait Don't Tell Me... while websurfing...ah, relaxation.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
OK, time flies while we're working so hard. High points--the combings for the 3 large deck hatches and forward scuttle are firmly installed and properly sealed and we finally got up the nerve to cut the fairing block for the Interphase FLS transducers and "test fit" the transducer blocks--they're level and true so we can install them properly after the bottom paint is done . Low points--it sure takes a lot longer to do everything than we want it to

Today I'm painting and varnishing more and David is zip-tying all the various hoses, vents, etc...that is, after we've finished enjoying the morning off listening to National Public Radio's Click and Clack, the Prairie Home Companion, and Wait-Wait Don't Tell Me... while websurfing...ah, relaxation.
Wow! I just took a look at the pics you posted of your beautiful boat....So much character! I can see why you decided to go inland. You've done some pretty extensive work to get her ready.Congradulations, you're on the downwind slide. I will come by in the dinghy when you get her in the water to take a look if you don't mind.

My boat is in pretty decent shape (1973). I plan on a 2-3 week haulout at Driscolls Mission Bay. Frame repairs and replacement of the fwd rudder are the main concern. I plan on having the laminated sister frames made before I haul this fall/winter.

Keep up the good spirits and hard work just a bit longer. You're almost there! I'm a little jealous...LOL

Steve
For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.

- RICHARD BODE
Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandseeker View Post
Keep up the good spirits and hard work just a bit longer. You're almost there!
So close....but yet so far...

Tied up in so many details of getting everything done. And, every single day someone asking "when are you going to launch" has me about ready to snap their heads off. We've taken to saying "don't know, don't care, this is part of our voyaging life, too"

We'll be launching "soon" but that may be within 3 weeks or 3 months...we're enjoying the projects and the boat but...

So many "land" people are very "supportive" but everyone still seems to have THEIR idea of what we're doing and when, how, etc it all should/will go. They're either dreaming about us abandoning our livelyhood and taking off for French Polynesia (which we have NO intentions of visiting in the next many, many, years while we have pets onboard ) or they're asking us when we're going to get back to "real" life. What isn't "real" about our life??? I spend a good part of every day right now with income-producing activities and the rest on fixing up the boat.

Just the other day, after stating that we'd be in the water soon, I had an east coast friend say how excited they would be when we joined them in August 2009 (with boat) up in Maine during their week-long vacation. Duh....we're in San Diego...we have no plans of getting to Maine for...hum...a decade? And, seriously, they thought we'd just be running here-and-there at the speed of a jet airplane or ocean liner. Unbelievable. We suggested that they keep in touch with us and arrange a visit to a bed and breakfast nearby where ever we are next August--and that would most likely be the west coast of Canada, Mexico, or the US.

OK, so interacting with the "land" people are the "down side" but the boat (and other "boat people"!) are the "up side". We just enjoyed having "house guests" (yes, we're still living in the boat yard...) this weekend. Its feeling like "home"

The propeller shaft and custom prop finally showed up a week ago (ordered for June delivery!); the varnish work is looking peachy; the masts and spars are in the middle of their refinishing; the new chart house seating is installed (I can make cushions after launch); the boat is really beginning to look quite lovely.

More on the saga...later.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Sounds great!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #28
Admiral

It amazes me sometimes how really, really bad Americans are at geography. One January we told some acquaintances who had sailed with us in St. Martin that we were leaving the island in May of that year to head through the Panama Canal and into the South Pacific. They asked where we were headed, and I said that possibly we would circumnavigate, but we weren't thinking past reaching Australia. When they asked how fast our boat traveled, we said about 6 or 7 miles per hour. Oh, how interesting, they said.

In July we received a letter from them asking how we had enjoyed our circumnavigation (!).

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
It amazes me sometimes how really, really bad Americans are at geography.
Its that whole time-speed-distance thing.

Its far better to correspond with these folks rather than talk to them. I can "temper" my responses or just ignore silly remarks like that in email or letters

Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #30
Lieutenant

Was that you guys I saw this last weekend getting towed south past Americas Cup Harbor? Sure looked like your schooner!? Either way it was a beautiful vessel from my point of view. Beautiful raked masts looked lonely without sails though. I can't wait to see your beautiful schooner on the bay soon. It will be a great addition to the windjammers already in the bay. Let me know if you need crew for seatrials, I'd love to be a part of it if needed...Good luck on the progress!...Steve

P.S.- Which way to Austrailia??? He He!

- RICHARD BODE
Old 11-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #31

I think I'm going to have to change the name of this thread OR start a new one called "one step closer to getting in the water!" since we moved aboard in August and we're still working on the boat pre-launch.

One of the major "keep us at the boatyard" things that happened is that we missed our October launch date and figured out that our next "window of opportunity" with everything lining up is January.

The things that have to line up:

1. We have to be in town (of course) and not have travel scheduled for 4 weeks following the launch in case of (wood boat-related) problems which need resolution.

2. The boat moving company needs to have a Friday free to take us the 8 miles to the water!

3. The launching boatyard should be able to launch on end-of-day Friday and be able to have us sit in the water in the slings if the boat is initially taking on too much water. Typically, after an hour or so all the seams will be tight but sometimes it takes a day or two so friday launch is a good thing.

4. The marina needs to have space on the visitors dock for us for a month before we go out to our mooring.

Well, putting it all together, #4 and #1 were the big problem post October through the year-end: we have various travel plans and the visitors dock is pretty full of real visitors. The boat mover seems open on schedule as does the launching boatyard.

So, the plan is January! probably Friday the 16th but could be a different Friday.

Great things that have happened since my last posts:

1. We found the prefect vintage stove for the galley that is pretty much the same 6-burner shipmate stove the boat had originally (way back in 1931) so David has built a platform for it, we've gotten the proper insulation for the stove surround and some nice brass (rather than stainless) for the surface of the surround. Since the galley "build out" was waiting on us finding a permanent stove and we didn't expect to do that until sometime after launch, this is really a nice thing to have happened. The stove weighed 390 lbs so the carry onto the boat and down the companionway was a bit tricky.

2. I've managed to get way more coats of paint on the hull and coats of varnish on the brightwork than I'd thought I'd be able to manage. Now that we have more time, we should have quite a nice set of finishes on things pre-launch.

3. Rigging relate work is now underway which I thought I'd not get to until after launch (we expected to rig the boat about 6 weeks or so after launch). For example, the masts and spars have been stripped, sanded, varnished and now are ready for me to do the topcoats of painting them. David rebuilt the stemhead so that we now can have a stem mounted forestay alongside the bowsprit and the bowsprit now can hinge up onto deck (reducing overall length by 10 feet!) for (motoring in) tight quarters or fitting into a smaller slip.

4. David built a shower floor for our "scuttle room" in front of the stateroom and behind the anchor locker and installed the shower plumbing so we could shower in the boat (oh, so nice).

4. David is doing build-out on the chart house furniture so we've now got some nice seating there and will have a chart table shortly.

Stuff we're doing now:

I'm beginning the process of building the new rig--so I've got the old rig all over the ground around the boat for measurements

David is continuing the interior "build out" with the chart table, and more galley work to install the stove and all

I'm also spending a couple days here and there putting more varnish on and more paint on topsides. She's looking better and better

Best to all,

Brenda and David

Old 11-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #32
Retired Mod

THanks for the update Brenda. We need a few pics from time to time for us to really see how it is all getting on.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
THanks for the update Brenda. We need a few pics from time to time for us to really see how it is all getting on.
Hi, one can go to our blog and take a look at some pics and hear some stories of what's going on. Password protected, one must register to get access.

Here are a couple pics of recent projects:

Getting the windlass back on the foredeck (larger pic here)

Hawse pipe hole drilling and fitting (larger pic here)

more of the same (larger pic here)

Working on the bowsprit (larger pic here)

The new "old" stove (larger pic here)

Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #34
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Wow! Can't wait to see her at the island...simply outstanding workmanship!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #35

Sweet of you, Trim.

We, of course, only see the mistakes and little "oops"

We're plugging along--merrily mostly and really looking forward to getting out to the Channel Islands after launch.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #36

The Inaugural Celebration is underway in Washington, DC and I must admit that it, again, feels a little weird to be so far away from DC with so much going on there. We’d really gotten used to all the fanfare surrounding the White House every four years.

This year is different. We listened on NPR to today’s concert celebrating the upcoming Obama presidency while we worked on the boat. First, I put yet another coat of paint on the middle portion of the two masts. Greenfield Pumpkin, a mild honey brown color that makes me think of fall in Connecticut and old houses. The concert started with president-elect Obama’s 10 favorite songs. Bruce Springsteen sang while I worked and then I hummed along to Copeland thinking what nice music taste Mr. Obama has. The tops of the masts, above the spreaders, are bright white. If I were a purist, I’d keep her masts below the spreaders brightly varnished but I suspect there is already way too much in the way of brightwork on the boat to add masts to the list of varnish maintenance. Instead, a few weeks ago, I put a few coats of varnish on to seal the wood–I can always have “bright” masts in the future–and painted them a two-tone color scheme that should look quite pretty and “shippy.”

Later, David and I together continued our NPR listening, while installing the large thru-hulls in the transom for the engine and the gen-set. David on the inside working with huge wrenches to tighten the 2″ and 3″ bronze thru-hulls against the several inch thick oak blocking and mahogany planking; me on the outside pre-loading the wood with white lead paste to keep decay away and Tremco sealant under the rim of the bronze to keep it all water-tight. And then, pound, pound, pounding with a weighted rubber mallet to push the heavy thru-hulls into place I thought I would fall right off the ladder–but I didn’t. I had other chances to fall as I completed the task of putting the last little bead of sealant along the lower edge of the caprail where it hangs over the transom. U2 played on–In The Name of Love–inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr. Tiger Woods spoke in tribute to the military–I didn’t know he was the child of a military officer. Ah, now it makes a bit of sense how this little black boy was on the golf courses as a toddler and grew up playing golf. All the military bases have golf courses; many of them quite good. Then, as I wobbled my way along the scaffold taking off the blue tape and admiring my work, the concert was over and the commentary turned to the Marine Corps Marching Band and discussions of favorite music of various presidents and how the band cannot play if the temperatures drop into the 20’s.

A nice way to spend a warm sunny California afternoon–hearing about the bitter cold of the capitol city expected in two days time. I was no longer feeling quite nostalgic or “left out” without tickets to a Washington, DC inaugural ball.

Today was a good day of work on the boat.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #37

Well, its always something--isn't it?

We've set with the marina, boat mover, and dock-side launching boat yard to launch in March!!! yea. Early March vs late March is depending on the boat-mover's schedule as we're trying to "fit in" between other things he's doing. David is re-starting all the systems/engine/genset/etc to make sure it all works as intended and as it once did. I'm watching the weather for the 5 days of sunshine we need to get the Coppercoat (used to be Copperbot) bottom paint in place and dried! Oh, exciting. Even if the boat still looks an awful lot like a bowling alley inside...we're excited to be on the final leg to getting in the water.

But, David started to hook up the little 3/8" raw water line to the stuffing box (it injects water into the 3 ft long stern tube and flushes out the stern bearing) and discovered that the threads for it in the stuffing box were bunged up. He looked at the old fitting that had been screwed into that spot (a grease fitting) and sure enough, it was a bunged up match. No npt fitting was going to work. We considered a Rube-fix but decided it could get expensive to fix once we've launched. So...now we've got to pull the prop (as because of the rudder our prop shaft can't be removed w/o the prop off), pull the prop shaft, re-thread the hole in the stuffing box (oh, in place as it would be a real hassle to take that off the boat...and its at an angle to the stuffing box, not perpendicular...) and put it back together, re-align the prop to the engine/tranny (that took a couple hours last time...).

Always something. The good side of this particular "something" is that we were reminded that we're tardy in getting a prop-puller for our boat. Better to test out a puller out-of-the water now rather than in the water someday in an emergency!

Fun, fun, fun.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #38
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Congratulations for reaching this point. March is not too far off.

Vasilis (mow in DC and not in my boat).

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istioploos View Post
Congratulations for reaching this point. March is not too far off.

Vasilis (mow in DC and not in my boat).
Well--slight change in plans. A little more costly but much more convenient:

The background--

As you may know, our boatyard is about 8 miles inland. The boat will be loaded up on a truck/trailer and taken to the launching boatyard. Here in San Diego, the choices are quite varied regarding launch. We can go to one of many large launch facilities on Shelter Island, or down to the South Bay for launch, or National City, or finally to Mission Bay.

In Mission Bay, there's one of the area's only combo launch facility/boatyard/marina which allows owners to work on their own vessels if needed. The other similar combo launch/boatyard/marina is on Shelter Island but doesn't have the ability to offload (from truck) a boat of our size/weight (29T).

Most of the yards launch you and expect you to be on your way (shoo-shoo! go away!!!) within the hour, with a (newly planked) wooden boat there's alway risk of something leaking badly and of needing to hang in the slings or sit on the rail (in the way of everything going on in the yard..) for several hours before leaving the area. In some lightly used facilities (not in San Diego), it is common practice to launch a wooden boat on a Friday and let it hang in the slings in the water over the weekend for this reason.

We have a mooring at a military marina on Coronado Island. Our original plan was to get the best price in the harbor for the launch and to simply motor the boat (about 4 miles from Shelter Island) after launch to our marina's visitors dock. We have a wooden boat and expect it to leak incredibly for the first few days to few weeks so being on the mooring would be a bit worrisome for us as we won't know how reliable all our systems really are until we're using them.

When you launch a wooden boat--typically--you don't step the masts for at least a week (while the boat takes up water) so we also would be bumping around a bit on the mooring w/o the stabilizing effects of the spars.

We didn't consider the launch yard in Mission Bay as that adds another 14 miles to the trip of getting down to our marina--and the trip would include going out of Mission Bay into the Pacific Ocean and around Point Loma into the harbor--a little more risky than just motoring down the harbor.

Ah, so what's changed?

We discovered that the launch yard in Mission Bay will launch our boat for about $700 and this is about 60% of the cost of any of the harbor-side yards. We also discovered that they'll work with us in timing to let us sit in the slings overnight or over a weekend. They're a couple miles closer to our existing boatyard (read $$ cheaper trucking) and their dock master is willing to move some things around to get us into the marina for a month (well, at $17/ft and 54'...that's not exactly cheap) so we can step the masts quickly and just move over to our slip to work on the rig (this should save us a couple hundred dollars in work-dock space rental). Oh, and their crane time rents at about $150/hour less than the harbor-side yards.

So, when you put it all together, it looks like we'll be spending, net, about $200 more than we'd spend for launching in the harbor, being at our marina's visitor's dock, and running back and forth to a launch facility for stepping the masts and all. But, we'll be only a 10-15 minute drive to our tools and stuff at the inland boatyard where we'll continue orking on stuff for a month or so whereas our marina is a longer 25-35 minute drive. We'll also have much more peace of mind that if anything goes wrong we can quickly haul out and fix it at the boatyard adjacent to the marina rather than being captive to having someone else fixing it at one of the harbor-side yards.

So, the plan is in place, the boat mover knows the route, the Mission Bay dock master is finding space for us and the launch yard planning the "overnight" in the slings if needed. Now I'm getting more excited about this launch!

I'll update you-all with the date when we have it. The weather has cleared and I should be putting on bottom paint the first of March . There are numerous other things to be taken care of before launch but it seems that FINALLY we'll be launching

Old 02-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #40
Retired Mod

Brenda, we're all excited for you and hope all goes well.