Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard > Our Virtual Yacht Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

I was wondering if anyone has submitted a design? If not, or one has not been chosen then how about this...CYC with the first C reversed...simple, and symetrical

Old 12-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I was wondering if anyone has submitted a design? If not, or one has not been chosen then how about this...CYC with the first C reversed...simple, and symetrical
Like this ƆYC ??

But who for ??

Old 12-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

The club here asked for thoughts on a design, and that just popped into my empty head.....LOLOLOLOL
Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
The club here asked for thoughts on a design, and that just popped into my empty head.....LOLOLOLOL
I love to draw and I thought about this....See attached.burgee.pdf
Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

@tugtyee

That's great. One problem though.

Ideally, a burgee should have a "mirror" image on the back side because of print "bleed" through the fabric. The alternative is to have double fabric sewn together with the obvious cost implication.

Don't forget the CruiserLog decals HERE in the meantime.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

This is what I had in mind....I am no artist....LOLOLOLOL
Attached Thumbnails
CYC.JPG  
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
@tugtyee

That's great. One problem though.

Ideally, a burgee should have a "mirror" image on the back side because of print "bleed" through the fabric. The alternative is to have double fabric sewn together with the obvious cost implication.

Don't forget the CruiserLog decals HERE in the meantime.
yes you are absolutly right about that ,but we got a few more minds on it now ..Hope that brings in some more ideas.

best regards..

Denny
Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Ensign

I am absolutely atrocious at drawing but may I suggest the following:

a - Tugtyee's burgee has much merit but it is not a burgee - it is a pennant. A burgee is a flag with two tails if I remember my seamanship lessons correctly

b - I am of the opinion that a true burgee (two-tailed) looks better than a pennant, but that is just a matter of taste

c - For a design I would suggest, from let to right, a C with a globe in the centre followed by a similar be reversed C and the other half of the globe in its centre, both of which supported by the arms of a Y.

I would like to be able to provide a template but, as I mentioned, my artistic skills are stone-age.

James Lidstone-Collingwood
Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collingwood View Post
a - Tugtyee's burgee has much merit but it is not a burgee - it is a pennant. A burgee is a flag with two tails if I remember my seamanship lessons correctly

b - I am of the opinion that a true burgee (two-tailed) looks better than a pennant, but that is just a matter of taste
Yacht club burgee

Members belonging to a yacht club or sailing organization may fly their club's unique triangular burgee both while underway and at anchor (however, not while racing). Traditionally, the burgee was flown from the main masthead, however it may also be flown from a small pole on the bow pulpit, or even the starboard rigging beneath the lowest starboard spreader on a flag halyard.

Traditionally, the first time a member of one club visits another, there is an exchange of burgees. Exchanged burgees are then often displayed on the premise of each, such as at a club office or bar.

-------------------------------

Pennant

Or historically called a pennon, is a long narrow flag which conveys different meanings depending on its design and use. Specific pennants might include:

* A commissioning pennant, or masthead, which a warship flies from its masthead and indicates the commission of the captain of the ship (and thus of the ship itself). In the Royal Navy, the commissioning pennant is a small St George's Cross with a long tapering plain white fly. In the United States Navy, it is red above white, with seven white stars in the blue hoist. The commissioning pennant may be displaced by various rank flags, namely the flags or pennants of admirals or commodores, and the personal flags of heads of state and members of royal families.

* A church pennant, as used by the Royal Navy, European Navies and Commonwealth Navies, is a broad pennant flown on ships and at establishments (bases) during religious services, and has the George Cross and Dutch flag incorporated chosen after the English Dutch Wars where both sides stopped for Church on a Sunday.

* A Senior Officer Present Afloat pennant using the NATO signal flag for "Starboard" is green on the hoist and fly with a white field between.

* A Gin Pennant means that the wardroom is inviting officers from ships in company to drinks. The origins of the Gin Pennant are uncertain, but it seems to have been used since the 1940s and probably earlier. Originally it was a small green triangular pennant measuring approximately 18 inches by 9 inches (460 by 230 mm), defaced with a white wine glass, nowadays the gin pennant is a Starboard pennant defaced with a wine or cocktail glass. Its colour, size and position when hoisted were all significant as the aim was for the pennant to be as inconspicuous as possible, thereby having fewer ships sight it and subsequently accept the invitation for drinks.The Gin Pennant is still in regular use by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Within the RAN it is common practice, whilst in port, for junior officers of one ship to attempt to raise the Gin Pennant on the halyard of another ship, thereby forcing that ship to put on free drinks for the officers of the ship that managed to raise the pennant. If, however the junior officers are caught raising the pennant, then it is their ship that must put on free drinks within their Wardroom. Usually this practice is restricted to Commonwealth Navies, however in the past, prior to increased force protection, RAN officers have successfully raised the Gin Pennant on a number of units in the USN

Maritime flags
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Rear Admiral

I think this is worth lots more thought.

At the risk of sounding really old fashioned, I much prefer club burgees that don't have initials or even words on them. Just a somewhat unique but simple design.

Blue and white are clearly good colours to consider.

Or if a burgee was simply two panels then most 'members' could even improvise and make their own.

Or maybe even just code flag 1 - indicating the best on the web?

I once belonged to Perth Flying Squadron and Fremantle Sailing Club. Neither origins obvious from the respective designs - but is was always good when others asked 'whats that little flag mean then?'

Cheers

JOHN
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Rear Admiral

Hi All,

I see all has gone quiet since a week back...........

The examples I gave above for Freo Sailing Club - a white ball on a blue field, and Perth Flying Squadron - a gold St Johns cross on a black field are equally as stylistic as say maritime code flag 1..........

So what's the view on us just picking Code Flag 1 - which is a red ball on a white field?

At this time it would signify our club is No 1.

To my knowledge no one else is using it as a club flag.

No one needs spend time originating a new design.

The simplicity means it will never get dated.

Most of us would have such a signal flag on board.....

So no expense.........

And no distribution issues either.

The examples I gave above for Freo Sailing Club - a white ball on a blue field, and Perth Flying Squadron - a gold St Johns cross on a black field are good guidelines that a simple design can stand the test of time.

So what do you all think? Please feel free to be as critical if you want........but if this was decided we could see little Cruiserlog Burgees being hoisted inside days at various spots around the globe.

JOHN
Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
Retired Mod

It would be great to have a CruiserLog burgee. Unfortunately, they work out pretty expensive with artwork charges and minimum order quantities. These would then have to be held at a central repository to handle individual orders, payments and deliveries - a logistical nightmare for a "virtual" Yacht Club.

However, our decals have proved popular and are of good quality - and inexpensive! No minimum orders - fast delivery worldwide and secure online payment - PERFECT! Just order quickly online!

Proudly display it on your boat and be recognised as a CruiserLog member.

Our decals are printed on durable 4mil vinyl using water and UV resistant inks – meaning no fading in the sun or bleeding in the rain.

Measures 3" x 5" (rectangle or oval)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	708

See all the CruiserLog gear HERE - such as shirts, t-shirts, caps, coffee mugs, beer tankards, etc.

Some examples: (Golf-shirt and shore-bag)

Name:	Golfshirt.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	710

Also for crew:

Name:   Crew.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  39.5 KB

Let us know how you like them. The feedback we have had is that the quality is great and the delivery fast (even as far as to Australia).

Attached Thumbnails
Decal2.jpg   Shorebag.jpg  

Old 11-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
It would be great to have a CruiserLog burgee. Unfortunately, they work out pretty expensive with artwork charges and minimum order quantities. These would then have to be held at a central repository to handle individual orders, payments and deliveries - a logistical nightmare for a "virtual" Yacht Club.
EXACTLY. Good reason to adopt the code flag 1 as our club burgee. No?

JOHN
Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Retired Mod

Hi John

How does one relate it to CruiserLog? You would just be flying the Number one.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Rear Admiral

For me it could mean the number one virtual yacht club on the web.........

Fremantle Sailing Club is a white orb on a dark blue field and I am still unsure why they chose that.

And indeed some might say their members are flying Number two.

But it is a burgee flown with pride by thousands of members. And one I've seen hanging in many other clubs where it's been presented and accepted with pride.

So if artwork, distribution and costs are whats stopping us flying a burgee, does it not make sense to take a leaf out of other more established clubs books? I personally dislike burgees that have words or initial on them - much better in my view if they are clear and distinctive. A red orb on a white field is not to my knowledge used yet by any other yacht club - and in that respect it is unique.

Case presented. It is only an idea which I hope has sufficient going for it to be adopted. No anxst on my part if its not.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
Admiral

An alternative could be to design a burgee that is easily made by our members themselves. Let's face it, making a Brazilian flag might prove a bit of a headache but a simple burgess should be within the capabilities of most cruisers. We could even start with a standard code flag, say flag B or X but not a more complex one such as W, and add an appropriate symbol. The template for the symbol could be made available here and all the individual member would need to do would be to scale it up or down as apropriate, pin it to bunting of the right colour and cut it out before sewing it to the code flag.

I suggest second substitute, as blue and white are our colours, and adding the letters CL, in white close to the hoist.

What does the team think?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #17
Retired Mod

So, a Number one flag is very cheap.

A blue waterproof marker is dirt cheap (you probably have one aboard). Or, a small pot of blue waterproof fabric paint.

A suggestion - to change it (easily) from the official nautical No 1 flag:

Name:	Burgee1.png
Views:	3
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	714

No longer the Nautical number one but now - "CruiserLog, The number one Virtual Yacht Club"

Comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Burgee2.png  

Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
Rear Admiral

Brilliant.

You've one vote from me.

Unique, no 1, simple classic design. Ticks all my boxes.

JOHN
Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #19
Admiral

Red Ball on White Backround ? Why choose a a flag that may be taken to show Japanese connections on the boat ?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Red Ball on White Backround ? Why choose a a flag that may be taken to show Japanese connections on the boat ?
Serious?

On that basis maybe we should all stop using this little chappie -

JOHN