Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Ensign

*New to the forums* Just posting a link to my new blog. I figured you seasoned folks out there might appreciate where we are coming from, and what we are trying to accomplish. Any tips or words of encouragement is more than welcome! http://anoceanofgrace.blogspot.com/

Old 07-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Admiral

My husband Peter came home from work one day and said "when I retire I want to live on a boat." I thought about that for about half an hour, then said "I think that it better be a sailboat." Without missing a beat my powerboat owning husband said, "okay."

That was calling my bluff. The only possible rejoinder was "well, I guess I'll have to learn to sail, then." And off we went to teach me to sail, and to work towards that goal. That was back in the days before the Internet and PayPal. We had to do it all by our lonesome, and we succeeded. And we don't owe anybody a red cent.

But we do owe everybody out there who helped us by sharing their knowledge and their love of the sailing life.

Which is part of the reason that I gave my Cruiser's Dictionary to cruisers via the Internet and the Cruising Wiki. And I do not begrudge anyone my time or advice.

But I don't give money to strangers just because they think that they might want to learn how to do something and then might do it. No. Cruising is about a lot of things, the most important of them probably that of fortitude and perseverance. Demonstrate that and people will be very generous.

And how to demonstrate fortitude and perseverance? Not by asking strangers to do the heavy lifting for you.

Get a job. Save your money. Take a sailing course.

We'll give you advice. Stories. How not to do things. But not money. You haven't earned it yet.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi, there,

Welcome to Cruiser Log. Glad to hear that you're interested in the cruising life. Please look around the forums, ask questions and contribute where you can in this online community.

I've noticed that recently several wantabe cruisers or actual cruisers have added paypal buttons to their blogs. I find it a turn-off for people to do so, however, sometimes these things which are turn-offs for me are, unfortunately, quite acceptable in today's online society. If you feel you must solicit financial support from people in this manner on your blog, I'd suggest that it not be placed in such a prominent place on your blog or that you refrain from such solicitation until you've done some of your own "heavy lifting" to get on your way to fulfilling your dream.

You really don't need the financial assistance of others to fulfill this dream. Just go for it on your own.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

I have to agree on the "Heavy Lifting" part of things as we are in that stage now. As folks on this board know for us it is a matter of more than just getting the B.O.A.T. funds together. We are also fighting a battle on health (which I really do thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers as I am getting better and things are getting very busy). Move the donate button and put a bit more sweat into it and you will find things coming together. Other than that good luck and you will find folks really willing to share and encourage. That helps overcome a lot of blocks in the way all by itself.

Again may the way and the weather be what you truly need when you need it.

Michael
Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Danaxe - good to have you here.

I'm afraid that I must agree with "Redbopeep" about the Paypal button - a real turnoff and will make people shy away from your blog.

Enjoy your cruising life and keep us updated on your progress.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Commander

Welcome!

Jeanne is right about fortitude and perseverance.

However I think that putting a paypal button on the webpage is still better than putting an immature teenager into a boat and asking money stating it will travel around the world
Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwas' date='28 July 2010 - 05:36 AM View Post

putting a paypal button on the webpage is still better than putting an immature teenager into a boat and asking money stating it will travel around the world
Asking for money is asking for money. Let's hope that new member Danaxe finds good ways to achieve their goals without freebies from others.

Suggest that Danaxe look into reading Hill's book Voyaging on a Small Income and the Pardey's Cost Conscious Cruiser. I just finished reading High Endeavors: the Extraordinary Life and Adventures of Miles and Beryl Smeeton, a book by Miles Clark about the well known ocean voyaging couple. This book reveals how independent the Smeeton's were across the board their entire lives and how cleverly they constructed their adventures within their sometimes meager-to-nonexistent budget. Very inspiring. When the Smeetons used to do talks about their mountain climbing and sailing adventures, often they were approached by hopeful climbers/sailors asking "what should I do" and Beryl would say "just do it!" which is what she did. With very little in the way of proper equipment their climbing adventures were really quite amazing. They did sail with a very stout and capable vessel, but had very little in the way of "extras" aboard to make their lives easy. The Smeetons own books The Ocean was our Village and Once is Enough are also excellent inspiration reading, but may not provide the same insights into how to "make it happen" as the Hill and Pardey books.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Admiral

Magwas,

I try to be consistent, and I think my outrage over the exploitation of Abby Sunderland came through LOUD and clear. And I hated that they, too, asked for money, and got a whole lot of it, apparently.

As much as I abhorred the Sunderland scam, the people who contributed initially were companies who got advertising on her boat in return for the money they threw at her and her parents. The outraged cries over their request for money from sympathetic readers to her blog to bring Wild Eyes home seemed to have been sufficient for them to take down the web page very quickly. It may have been wrong in my opinion, but selling advertising space on her boat and on her web site gave those sponsors some tangible return for their "investment."

Asking people to pay money to a button on a blogspot on the internet to fund somebody's dream - which may turn into a nightmare before it is realized - is not, IMO, better. Is it to be assumed that people feel good doling out cash to strangers just because they say "please"? Why ask strangers? Why not friends and relatives? Why ask anyone? If this is a worthwhile dream, it seems it would be worthwhile to work for it oneself.

But then, maybe that's the old way of looking at things. Maybe the new idea is "I want it, I should have it, and somebody who has more than I do could share theirs with me." Or whatever.

Aah, I'm beating a dead horse, and I guess I'm a bit cranky today. I'll be better tomorrow. I hope.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote