Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Longwood
Default A lot to learn and I'm a sponge

Hi, I'm new to the site. I have decided to follow a life-long dream of living aboard a boat. I haven't purchased one yet; I'm in the education process. I've owned small boats but never something large enough to live on, so I am in "uncharted territory". Since I don't know anything about sailing, I am limited to powered boats. So far I have learned that Hatteras, Bertram and Viking are excellent, but I don't know what I should stay away from. I read in a David Pascoe article to stay away from Carver (I don't mean to insult anyone; that was just his opinion, not necessarily a fact). Can anyone share any insight into manufacturers to avoid? It would probably be helpful to tell you what I have in mind; something used, 40-50 ft, probably 1985 or newer, I'd like to spend less than $120k, plan to live aboard and have the occasional adventure. I live in Central Florida. The boat will most likely be docked at a marina on the St. John's river (access to the Atlantic from Jacksonville). I am not wealthy, so something that goes fast and sucks 30GPH doesn't interest me. Gas? Diesel? Max hours? I am all ears (or in this case, eyes) so please share any info or advice on anything you think might be helpful. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: erie
Vessel Name: Eagleswing

you might want to look up the closest US Power Squadron near you and join it. they offer a lot of courses on boat fundamentals (piloting, navigation, engines, electrical). you'd learn a lot and meet a lot of new people who could give you advice. the one thing most important IMHO is a reliable engine with low hours (less than 1,000).

Old 08-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Longwood
Default Advice appreciated

Thanks Eagleswing. I will definitely find a local Power Squadron. I am also in the process of taking the FL Boating Safety course; lots of good stuff there. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know! I want to make sure I do this the right and responsible way...