Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Hello Folks,

My wife and I are seriously looking at moving to a live aboard/cruising idea of home. We have a good number of reasons and are right now working on a few very important points.
  1. Wife has never been sailing. Been on boats but never sailing. She likes the idea and is a tough lady (I am not being biased only honest, if you want to know how tough ask).
  2. Getting my health stable. I have just finished treatment for thyroid cancer and we have the problem of that I most likely have surgically induced hypoparathyroidism. Once we get it balanced should be able to maintain it without great problems (an unexpected side effect is this may provide the rest of the funds for the boat)
  3. Getting things together for home schooling our kids (4, 21 months, due in October). Some will call this crazy, you have that right. Don't call it callous or reckless as I can and will point out why it is not (Sorry have ONE very vocal family member who calls us a bit nuts, very negative and won't discuss the issue at all)
  4. Lastly getting more experience and also the rest of the funds built up to allow us to complete the goals on or near our time table.
Some questions of the folks here are any good sources for home schooling (we have a good bit from a friend who home schooled both her boys that are wonderful and intelligent lads). Also know of any home schooling groups that are looking for persons professionally trained in the Human physical sciences (I have my Doctorate from the US in Chiropractic with experience with semiprofessional/professional athletes) or music (The Admiral is getting her higher degree in music composition/theory). Just asking on those above, cause if you don't ask you won't know.

We are looking at some Gulfstar 50' ketch rigged boats as they have a really good reputation from a good number of folks we have talked to. Though a few have directed us away from ketches as well. So who is to say what will stick.

Lastly, If anyone needs help dealing with Southern Italy in and Around Puglia let us as know as we have lived there and have friends that are willing to help out anything that might increase tourism down there. Also can get you the current rates for the different marinas if you don't speak/read Italian.

Hope to meet some of you folk in the not to distant future and if you are up near Edinburgh give us a bell.

Michael

Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard to you Michael and your family. Thank you for the good introduction - we can now feel that we know you. Make yourself at home here and feel free to ask as many questions as you like - some of our motly crew will surely be able to assist.

How about adding some information to the Italy section of the Cruising Wiki?

Grab a tankard, the brew is on the house today!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard!

Can't answer any of your questions but do feel like I know you, now, as well

Good luck in finding the right boat for you and your family. We looked almost exclusively at ketch rigged boats with a few yawls and schooners thrown in. We ended up with the purchase of a schooner (that we're re-buidling/re-fitting right now). I must say that ketches really vary in performance and ability to sail short-handed. You really need to get out there on the particular boat and check it out.

Here's a bit of info about the Gulfstar 50 that I just found via Google. You probably have already seen it. link

The only Gulfstar 50 that I've seen was center cockpit (I guess they all are?) and ketch rigged with a smaller mizzen than I like on a ketch. My favorite set up is for main and mizzen (on ketch) or main and fore (on schooner) to be close in mast height/sail area. I believe it is most versatile. However, the Gulfstar 50 I saw had such a large main that one would lose a bit of an advantage of split rig (smaller sail sizes). Have you sailed one yet? How is it?

Assuming that you have sailed a bit (since your wife has not...) regarding your wife and sailing--if she's game (and you're not pushing her to be game...) it will all work out. If she's humoring you (loves ya, wants what you want...) beware. Both my husband and I really wanted to sail and cruise. We worked on making a plan and making our "new" life together--equal partners in all efforts towards the goal. We're had many, many, (MANY) male sailing friends who discovered that their wives were simply agreeable and trying to make everything work out--until it didn't.

We don't have children, but think that if we did we'd have taken off long ago for a cruising life because we both believe that home schooling and travel are a wonderful way for kids to grow up.

Best of luck to you!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote