Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Just wanted to share the good new. I had an offer accepted on one of the boats I was looking at. She's a Ted Brewer extended stern Ingenue ketch by the name of Madrigal, currently on the hard in Eliot, ME.... I actually haven't gotten to lay eyes on her yet but have spent several hours on the phone with the broker who is very knowledgable about the boat and I'm fairly certain I understand her true condition/extent of work that she needs.

The survey will be in about two weeks and with any luck I'll be live-aboard on the hard, while I work on her, by the first week of April... weather pending of course... I'll keep you all posted and do a photo blog of the work once I get on board.

.... ...

Thanks again to all those who have provided me with sanity checks, helpfull hints, and a guiding hand along the way!

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Congratulations!

If all goes well may she give you many years of happy sailing.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Congrats! I just did a search on the Brewer Ingenue and discovered that this design was rigged either as a schooner or as a cutter. How did yours end up a ketch? Thnking of locations for mast stepping it seems that schooner is the likely configuration. Is it possible that the owners are calling it a ketch because they have employed equal height masts (rather than shorter fore seen on most schooners) or because by design Ingenue uses marconi foresail and marconi mainsail whereas most schooners would have a staysail on the foremast or a gaff sail on the foremast?

We'll be looking forward to hearing all about your new times aboard Madrigal!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

As it happens Ted Brewer himself seemed a bit surprised by this boats existence... If I recall the conversation correctly he said he ever only sold plans for one ketch rigged Ingenue (and it wasn't Madrigal... but he does acknowledge her as an Ingenue)... and she is definitely ketch rigged... her mizzen is significantly shorter than her main, and the placement is just forward of the rudder and wheel. On the schooners both mast penetrate the coach house, on this one only the main is keel stepped. She also has the Ted Brewer designed extended stern and clipper bow (which is every mod he drafted for the Ingenue).... I think that was one of the things that really attracted me to her... aside from liking her layout (great galley and spacious salon), and heavy weather capabilities, the fact that she may very well be the only boat exactly like her in existance was a big selling point.

Here's the schooner Ingenue with extended stern.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ingenue_schooner__ext_strn_.gif
Views:	44
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	865

and here's an old picture of Madrigal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Madrigal.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	866

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

You must be very excited!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

CONGRATULATIONS!

John