Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi, glad to have found this site. Years ago, I spent several years cruising aboard my beautiful Tartan 37'2 in the Carib and South America. Anchored in Los Roques, I was enjoying the benefits of befriending the locals and just waiting for fresh provisions to run out. The plan was to head to San Blas via a provisioning stop enroute. While basking in the sun, I received a SSB call that my dear friend had cancer and was to sick to operate his business, would I return to help. The decision to head North and not West changed my entire life. It is now 10 years later and I am almost back on track. House for sale, living aboard a lease/option 56' Nautical Development and getting back in touch with life aboard, although living aboard this yacht hardly comes close to living aboard my Tartan. Actually I prefer the Tartan...and as close as I am to finding my way back to the sea, I will probably back out of the lease option, take residence back in my home and hope that it sells to free up my cash so I can buy a more reasonable boat to cruise on.

I will enjoy living vicariously through all of you, keep sharing the sea stories. Life aboard, beats life ashore, hands down....Keep cruising.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard - good to have you here.

Make yourself at home - "JeanneP" is buying the drinks this week.

Enjoy!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiweresailingagain View Post
I will enjoy living vicariously through all of you, keep sharing the sea stories. Life aboard, beats life ashore, hands down....Keep cruising.
Welcome. Peter and my families were not particularly thrilled by our vagabond life, and I didn't endear ourselves to any of them when I sent the following letter to every one of them.

Peter fell off the boat three weeks ago (the boat is on the hard, so it was a hard 12' fall to the macadam), injured his heel - I went crazy, thinking of the same accident happening to a friend of ours. Our friend is crippled for life as a result of the accident (and his own foolish behavior afterwards). But I nagged Peter until he agreed to have an X-ray of the foot, and sat with him and the doctor, demanding to see the X-ray (as if I would have any idea of what I was looking at!). Anyway, it was only a bad sprain, and I called our doctor and nurse friends to come by and bully him into keeping off the foot and using the crutches. He's okay - still a slight limp, but not bad. There was some humor in the situation - the poor doctor took a look at the X-ray and said "there are pieces of bone where they shouldn't be in there, but they look like an old injury", which of course Peter confirmed - same leg that he broke skiing those many years ago. Then there was the time he fell off the ladder at his parents’ home trying to repair the pheasant pen - the X-ray of his shoulder that time also showed pieces of bone where they shouldn't be from some old injury. This man is a walking disaster when he's on land - nothing happens to him when we're sailing.

Does that tell you something?

So you won't find me disagreeing with you. Pull up a seat and enjoy a cold one or two, or .. on me.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:52 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard!

Hope you manage to sell or rent the house and get back out there sailing

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote