Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all. I've been reading your posts and they look interesting, enjoyable to read, and informative. We have been sailing our 48 ft Samson C-breeze ferro cement ketch since 2002. Left Vancouver, BC in August, down the coast to Mexico, across the Pacific to French Polynesia, cruised the several south pacific Islands to New Zealand. From there, we headed north through Vanuatu, Solomons, PNG, Palau and then to Southern Philippines. Now, we are in the Davao gulf, in a beautiful Island called Samal.

Cheers,

Ellen
Attached Images

= Davao, Philippines,
wiskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Admiral

Ellen,

Samal is certainly a beautiful Island - not many cruisers go there nowadays, suppose because of the proximity to perceived rebel activity. At least at 7 degrees north it escapes the typhoons!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fancy_Beach_Samal_Island.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	450

Richard

Old 05-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Richard. No rebels here that's for sure. We've been here since December waiting for the new slipway to finish so we can haul out. By the way, are you the Richard of Richard's Net? Just wondering ... cuz we tried checking in during our passage from Palau, but couldn't hear anything. Maybe too close?

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi Ellen,

That's me. The problem of communication this last year was/is lack of Sunspots = poor radio propagation. Also the time of day for the frequency meant talking to Palau would be very difficult - sometimes I could hear the boat but they would not hear me. Were you using a Canadian VE.... call? Whats the name of your C-Breeze? When you have time - send me details of the new haulout its LAT/LONG - cost etc (once it is operating) Is it designed mainly for the fishing boats ??

Regards

Richard
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Ellen. We hope to hear lots from you.

Hope you can find time (& connection time) to contribute to the Cruising Wiki about that wonderful area where you are - and, of course, the Pacific that you transited.

Welcome!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Welcome Ellen,

Yes Samal is an out of the way place. I married my wife for the second time on Samal. The first time was in the Oakland Calif. courthouse. The Gulf of Davao is my actual destination in life. As you look to the left of the city at Mt. Apo you are looking at my future home. Enjoy Davao, and go to Jack's Ridge for a wonderful view, and an inexpensive delicious dinner. The BBQ ribs are something the American south has yet to taste......YUMMMMMMY...One last thing to taste is Durianworld & JBC candies made from durian, and other fruits......ENJOY
Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Admiral

Cruisers certainly make the world a lot smaller !!!

Name:	Mt._Apo.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	451

Mount Apo - the highest mountain in the Phippines
Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Ensign

Wow that is an excellent picture of Mt. Apo. Most of the time, it is hidden inside the clouds.

Our sailboat name is Wiskun and I have a KG6 __ call sign (took my exams in Zihuatanejo, Mexico organized by a few volunteer Americans). I am currently traveling and will be out of the country. I promise to post more info when I come back, about the slipway and how it is progressing. It is located right beside the Ferry Terminal and is meant for pleasure crafts as well as fishing vessels + the ferries. We hope to have our cradle built similar to the one we had in NEw Zealand, and yes we will be the first sailboat to haul out here.

Cheers,

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Rear Admiral

MMNETSEA,

Some cruisers just don't realize how small our community is. Some have found that their reputation preceedes them....lol

Ellen,

I would love to see some pics of the marina developing. There isn't much online about it. I was going to have a mooring ball placed for Imagine. At least that was my thought. Imagine is 23'3" at her beam. Is this something that will be able to be hauled there?

My wife climbed Apo for many years. I have driven up the mountain a couple of times to about 2,500 feet. The weather at that height is fantastic with the breeze. Looking forward to getting any information you can share....Thanks, John
Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Ensign

Hi John, I think lifting a catamaran would be difficult. Who knows? Here, plans seem to change just as fast as the winds . However, there is talk of making another slipway in the marina which would be wider. But construction is painfully slow here and I think that will not be ready until next year. FYI, below is a copy of my contribution to noonsite.com:

New Marina and slipway in Samal Island, Davao Gulf, Philippines

Created by doina. Last modified on 2008-04-27 10:44:37

Countries: Philippines

Construction is underway for a new Marina in the Island Garden City of Samal (7°11.94N, 125°42.74E). It is located in the very northern tip of the Island as part of a real estate development including a subdivision, condominiums, a resort hotel and spa facilities. The marina has a capacity of 108 yachts ranging from 9.76 meters to 20 meters long. It will be complete with water and power connections, showers, laundry area, a pump-out station and a convenience store. The plan also includes a one-stop check-in and out facility with Port and immigration officials within the marina. The target finish date for the marina is late 2008 or early 2009. Visit their website at http://www.holidayoceanview.com/ for updates.

In conjunction with the marina, construction of a slipway and boatyard is in progress (7°07.25N, 125°40.36E). This will be the only slipway in the gulf and is capable of hauling out up to 250 ton vessels. The slipway is almost finished, but the boatyard will not be ready until the 3rd quarter of 2008. Construction of cradles for yachts will start immediately as soon as the slipway is finished.

Davao City in southern Mindanao is typhoon free and winds are mostly not stronger than Force 4. It is a safe haven for riding out the typhoon season and for storing vessels while yachties fly home. There are direct flights to some southeast asian cities from here, or connections are available to anywhere in the world from Manila.

The Island Garden City of Samal is an island located in the Davao Gulf. The western coast facing the mainland is lined with resorts and hotels due to its nice beige-white sandy beaches. Here, village life is still enjoyed. It is tranquil and peaceful. However, should the need arise, city life, theaters, supermarkets and shopping malls are only a 5 minute ferry ride away.

We have sailed straight to Samal from Palau in December 2007. Currently, we are tied next to the slipway waiting for it to be finished so we can haul out. Anyone needing further information about this article is welcome to email me direct at wiskun@msn.com

Ellen Lee-Kwen, SV Wiskun

ps We have thrown in 2 cement culverts (chained together) and a mooring line. The current is quite strong in the narrow channel between Samal and the mainland, but we had no problems. Now, we are safely tied right beside the slipway construction where a hole was dug deep enough for our keel.

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Retired Mod

I have added the info to the Cruising Wiki - Davao (and see "Offshore islands")

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
Ensign

Ok, I have tried to put in some items. I am still figuring out how to add items and pictures here. I guess this will be a slow progress-as-I-learn project .

Cheers,

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskun View Post
Hi John, I think lifting a catamaran would be difficult. Who knows?

Cheers,

Ellen
John and Ellen,

If the haul out is on a railed slipway , the type that is commonly seen in S.E.A. Then hauling a Catamaran is actually a lot easier than a mono-hull with a keel. They generally place planks across the wheeled chassis , then manoeuver the cat over the planks and bingo she is out.

Been there, done it.

Richard
Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskun View Post
Ok, I have tried to put in some items. I am still figuring out how to add items and pictures here. I guess this will be a slow progress-as-I-learn project .

Cheers,

Ellen
Ellen

Thanks for contributing to the Wiki - you're doing great. The more you use it the easier it gets.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Ensign

Here is the picture of the slipway under construction. Wiskun is tied to the side where a hole is dug deep enough for the keel. Once Wiskun is hauled out, it is my understanding that this area will be filled and cemented (for boat storage).

Ellen

ps - decided to continue under this same topic

Name:	Davao_slipway_under_construction.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	472

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #16
Ensign

I believe this is the winching system for the slipway - to be installed.

Name:	Davao___winch_system_for_slipway.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	473

Cheers,

Ellen

Name:   Too_hot_to_play.gif
Views: 29
Size:  21.0 KB

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Admiral

Hi Ellen,

Great Pictures - very useful for the future - I note the rails for the bogies to travel on .(purple arrows) any idea how far apart ? Looks like a good design for hauling out a multihull.

Also noted with the green arrow, the depth - It will be interesting to see what the maximum draft will be for a keel boat ?

Name:	Davao_slipway_under_construction2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	475

Richard
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 AM   #18
Ensign

Hi Richard,

The distance between the rails is 5m and the depth is 2 ft. The cemented area is 6 m wide. I understand that the rails are for the ferries (or fishing boats) and the cemented area is for smaller boats and pleasure crafts. Wiskun will be hauled out on the cemented area on the cradle by the trailer system (similar to picture). We have a 2 metre draft and the entrance to the slipway is 3 metres at high tide.

Your description on hauling out cats will work, but how will it be transported to its storage area? It is ok if it stays on the rails for bottom painting and minor maintenance work, however it has to move somewhere when the rails are to be used by another boat. I am not sure what the plans are here, but maybe they will extend the rails for lateral movement?

Cheers,

ellen

Name:	2005NZ_WHANGAREi.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	477

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #19
Rear Admiral

Thanks Ellen,

Great information, and my future home is looking more, and more promising. I know the local talk for some time has been they would put in a marina. It is great to see a facility with rails going in also. I thought I would have to go north to Cebu for bottom work. Davao being such a fantastic typhoon hole
Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 AM   #20
Ensign

This is so good to see other boat people here that are based in Davao. I moved to Davao a year ago and am currently renting a house in Insular Village Phase One which is next to the Insular Waterfront Hotel. Last year I discovered there is a "Boat Club" right behind the village which prompted me to find a boat. The boat club is actually just on shore covered boat parking with a launch and retrieval service. Last year there were maybe ten boats there. Now it is full with maybe 25 and expanding fast. I still hardly ever see other owners as most don't use their boats very often.

My boat only arrived two weeks ago and needs a lot of work but it is usable.

I will quite likely take out some family members tomorrow (August 3) so I will pass by the Marina to see how it is progressing.

Davao is set to become a boating haven due to the safe waters, beautiful reefs, crystal clear waters, good climate etc. Safety, law and order, etc are far better in Davao than they are in Manila.

Sport Fishing Asia Motorcycle Asia Net
Skywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island