Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Ketchikan
Default buzzard

I came across the Cruiser Log by happenstance and after reading the posts I thought this would be a very interesting and informative forum.
My wife (Norma) and I (Bob) have lived aboard since 1983 when we took early retirement from Boeing.
We had plans of doing extended cruising and sailed up to Alaska to look around. Wow! We loved Alaska and have called it home ever since.
The scenery here is spectacular, the fishing is unbelievably good and there are innumerable small bays and harbors that virtually never see a boat.
At this time in our cruising life we have no regrets and don't plan on moving off the boat or leaving Alaska ever.
The rest of our crew: CPO, our cat, Also known as Chief Pussycat Officer, Caleb, our German Shepherd who is a faithful hiking companion and friend.
Boat: Columbia 45' hull we bought and finished (much more work than we had imagined). Boat is named after the great Blue Heron's scientific name: A. Herodias.
Crab, Shrimp, Halibut, Salmon and more are every found in great abundance. The Crew of the A. Herodias

Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

You live aboard in Alaska? Through the winter? How do you manage heating and the like?

Disclaimer: This question comes from someone who lives in a city where it has never snowed, and even that I find too cold.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Don't hear of many people cruising Alsaka so would good to hear more about it. Do you lift out for winter and live aboard? Do you move about or stay in one area?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Ensign

Default Ans. to: Steve H and Delatbabl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
You live aboard in Alaska? Through the winter? How do you manage heating and the like?

Disclaimer: This question comes from someone who lives in a city where it has never snowed, and even that I find too cold.
We stay on our boat year around in the water. We started our heating the boat with a Dickensen stove but it was inefficient and actually dangerous if you were to ever leave the boat unattended. We settled on the Monitor heater and found it to safely keep the boat warm and pleasant year around and reduced the cost of fuel by 50%.
You just gotta love rain if you live here year around. It rains about as often here as in Seattle but the 'drops' appear to be a whole lot larger. Snow here in Ketchikan is generally fairly light and not too frequent (there have been notable exceptions to this).
It should be noted that we lived in Polk Inlet on the east side of Prince of Wales Island for several years and experience massive snowfall during the winter together with being iced in for long periods of time. We were the only residents in this area. There we had no access to town during the Winters and lived off fishing, shrimping, crab and stored food. A bit inconvenient but an awesomely beautiful place worth the trouble. buzzard
Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

While I prefer tropical climates, swaying palms, golden beaches and the lack of full body clothing which such climes promote, I do also love to be in the snow. I don't know if I could do it on a boat, but I have great respect for those who can.

I would love to see a few photos of your locale.
Best wishes and a sincere welcome to Cruiser Log.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Ensign

Auzzee, Thanks for the note. I think it's great that all of us have the freedom to make the lifestyle choices we most enjoy. buzzard
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard! Thank you for sharing a bit about your life aboard in Alaska. Our own cruising plans include Alaska, so I'm happy to now have a "resource" aboard right here on CL.

Looking forward to more posts! Enjoy the forums and contribute where you can.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Ensign

Default Response to redbopeep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Welcome aboard! Thank you for sharing a bit about your life aboard in Alaska. Our own cruising plans include Alaska, so I'm happy to now have a "resource" aboard right here on CL.

Looking forward to more posts! Enjoy the forums and contribute where you can.
Thank you for your kind words. I joined the group to learn from others and if it happens that I have input I will be happy to put my two cents in.
I believe, however, that I am the one who will be informed by this great and forum. buzzard
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Citrus Heights

Post pics buzzard