Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Ensign

I found this forum while looking for cruising yacht forums for folks who sail up the West coast of Aus.

Its a long story - and I know I can't mention commercial interests, but in this context its kinda hard not too.

My family & I are the new managers of the new resort on West Moore Island off the West Aussie coast between Pt Samson & Port Headland.

The building sleeps 18 and was a former pearl farm staff quarters.

My job is to make it into a charter fishing resort / lodge, now that the pearls have been moved to Broome.

My reason for seeking out this forum is to correct some info I was told by the past caretaker - that appears in one of the Fremantle based sailing club magazines.

Apparently it lists our location and moorings as a good sheltering place if caught by bad weather along this stretch of coast - but apparently mentions that "the folks in the house on the island aren't too friendly".

I just wanted a chance to correct the record is all.

As the new managers here - I can assure any passing sailors that we welcome with open arms any passing sailors and crew who want to seek shelter here.

We endeavor to keep supplies of spare fuel, ice, water, food, and can offer accoms, meals, or just a friendly chat with a new face or 5, if your passing this way.

Please put us on your list of places to stopover and explore - we look forward to receiving visitors, and in the first 6 weeks here, basically haven't yet seen another human face.

I could go on about the place, but don't want this to sound like an advert - as stated I just wanted to correct the record, that we welcome guests here, and anyones welcome to stop by, if we can help them we will.

We have desalinated water here, and a workshop with tools including welders and pipe benders etc so we can fabricate things if needed in an emergency to get you out of trouble. There are communications (phone and sat email link etc) if your comms are out and you need to let folks know that your OK etc.

Heck we even try to keep cold beer on hand in case anyone runs out.

Please don't be shy to stop in on your way past if your in our neck of the woods.

You can hail us as West Moore Island Base on 16VHF or phone us on 08 91 845 145, if you want to ask any questions ahead of time or arrange to have something picked up from here on your passage past.

We are happy to re-provision any one who is running short, with anything we have to spare.

Again - sorry if this appears as a commercial post - it isn't meant to be, its more just correcting the record of some outdated information - as stated.

Cheers

Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard - I'm sure anyone here who would be sailing along that stretch of coast will be sure to stop in for a "frosty" or two.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Lighthouse,

I hope your right!

It'd be nice to see a crusing yacht or two swinging off our moorings one day.

Can't even say I've seen one sail past yet, but we are just heading into our monsoon season so I expect a few folks probably don't sail this stretch of coast for the next few months, most likely for fear of getting caught out with a cyclone.

For some reason this particular spot is known as 'cyclone alley' - they all seem to blow thru here within a mile or so...almost like we have a target painted on our roof!

I don't know if there are any other crusiing yacht forums I need to get this info out on for folks in West Oz who cruise this part of the coast.

Bout the only other vessels I see or hear out here on the vhf are the iron ore bulk carriers, calling in to Pt headland or Cape Lambert to take on ore....and of course - the odd indonesian fishing vessel looking to plunder our sharfin, trepang, trochus shell resources .

Be nice to see a few of the yachting community stopping bye for a chat!

Cheers
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Admiral

Flywest,

Sure, it is a commercial plug - however ! There are far and few places to stop in your neck the woods. Can you provide a website containing Latitude/Longitude , approach headings and details regarding the moorings. Also prevailing wind for different times of the year. The name of the resort /anchorage and a contact email address. Any other relevant info for cruising yachts including pictures of the anchorage. This brief synopsis could be included in our Cruiser WIKI along with others, that is, if it is sufficiently descriptive.

Regards

Richard
Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Flywest,

Sure, it is a commercial plug - however ! There are far and few places to stop in your neck the woods. Can you provide a website containing Latitude/Longitude , approach headings and details regarding the moorings. Also prevailing wind for different times of the year. The name of the resort /anchorage and a contact email address. Any other relevant info for cruising yachts including pictures of the anchorage. This brief synopsis could be included in our Cruiser WIKI along with others, that is, if is sufficiently descriptive.

Regards

Richard
I will endeavour to do all that Richard, I'm just starting on the website etc now so it may take a little while. I can provide the lats and longs - google earth shots of the approaches and depths etc, as well as prevailing winds at certain times of the year and details on our moorings & their locations etc.

Photos etc as requested will be provided - thanks indeed for the response - I didn't want to deliberately breach any forum protocols - as you correctly point out stopover places along this stretch of coast are few and far between - which in the middle of "cyclone alley" can be a bit worrisome for those restricted to cruising speed dictated largely by wind.

Many vessels and lives have been lost to cyclones along this stretch of coast inthe past, some of the resulting wrecks I can look out my window and view on a low spring tide.

Cheers

« Gidday | Howdy »