Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello all! I am new here so here goes nothing! I have been sailing all my life on the bay on a mason 43' and finally have decided to go on a big trip for myself. My girlfriend and I have decided starting next april, we will start a two year voyage around the world, on Island time. Like said before I have been sailing the bay all my life from the early 90's, I also have done the Newport to Ensenada race on a J/24, racing Hobie 16s at Hunington Lake Ca in the High Sierra race and have bare boated in the BVIs many times. We currently dont have a boat purchased but we are looking to close a deal on one before the end of september. We are looking currently in the 32'-36' range cruisers. I am currently 20 years old and my companion is 23. She has little experience on a sailboat but she has been diving professionally with White Sharks in San Diego for the last four year, so she is accustomed to the ocean. a rough Course: Leave San Francisco – Mexico – Panama Canal – Caribbean – British Virgin Islands – Cuba – Brazil – Europe – Mediterranean – Red Sea- Indian Ocean (India) – Australia – New Zealand- Fiji – Philippines – SE Asia - NE Russia – Hawaii – Galapagos Islands – South America – Central America – End with San Diego.

I will also be filming the whole trip for a TV show or a documentary film.

any tips or help or questions are welcome!

Thanks,

Jon Neely

Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Jon - make yourself at home here amongst friends.

Hope all goes to plan and we sure hope that you will keep us updated and contribute on the forums.

Good luck!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome, Jon

I hope you aren't thinking of doing your circumnavigation West to East, or you might find yourself quitting before you've gotten out of the Caribbean.*

Look around our little club, you'll find lots of information and many stories to amuse, dismay, and maybe even enlighten.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Ensign

Quitting in the Caribbean as in falling in love and never leaving, that is quite possible. any thoughts on the bayfield 32, or any vessel that is under 36ft and around 30k? I may need to move this conversation to another part of the forum.

Jon
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonneely View Post
Quitting in the Caribbean as in falling in love and never leaving, that is quite possible. any thoughts on the bayfield 32, or any vessel that is under 36ft and around 30k? I may need to move this conversation to another part of the forum.

Jon
Probably better to ask the question in the main cruising forum.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonneely View Post
More as in "this is HARD work, we're never going to get there". *There are good reasons why the "milk run" is sailing East to West, running before the prevailing winds.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Jon,

Good luck with the trip and like Jeanne, suggest you review the direction of prevailing winds v route direction.

Going uphill when you can go down is not a good plan.

Cheers

JOHN

Tags
circumnavigating