Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-23-2024, 10:22 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: none yet
Default Gooday sailors / is MMNETSEA still around?

Gooday fellow members,

I've been playing with the taught of buying a boat and living on it for quite a while now and slowly but surely I'm working towards my goal. About 4 month ago I did my recreational marine drivers licence and personal watercraft licence here in Australia.

I randomly found this forum through a post where the member MMNETSEA was giving someone advice on a Crowther Eureka and I was quite fascinated by vast knowledge displayed.

I'm not gonna claim to be very experienced, yet - because I'm definitely not, but we all start somewhere I suppose and there still is a lot of room for me to grow.

To the point though I guess,
I've found a boat and I was wondering if I could get some guidance/pointers in regards of buying/looking at it.

Once I worked out the right section I'll put up a post in the near future.

Cheers

Old 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM   #2
Commander

1) Year boat built? Boats plummet in value quickly. Maintenance is very costly and the environment and constant rocking of the boat breaks a lot of things. Boat hardware is much more expensive than home hardware. It is not cheap to live, or own, a boat.
2) Size of boat? A boat too small for your personal needs will be a nightmare. Monohulls do not have a lot of storage. Catamarans have a lot of space but you can't load it down like a monohull. If you plan to make an ocean passage, a small boat, depending on build, may be a no go.
3) Build material? Fiberglass, steel, aluminum, wood and ferro all have their problems as the boat ages. Hull problems are very costly and often lead to scrapping the boat.
4) Engine. Hours? Type (diesel/gas)? A marine engine is VERY expensive to rebuild. As the engine is always under heavy load, an automotive engine is unsuitable.
5) Sails? Condition of sails is very important. A new sail is VERY costly.

Don't forget the old saying ... "Buying a boat is the 2nd happiest day of your life. The happiest day is the day you sell it."

Get a survey. The marine surveyor will spell it all out for you. Listen to him!

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail