Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello

I've always loved water and boats but as I lived in Southern Ontario, Canada, boating trips were limited to power boat trips on the lake at cottages and the odd dinner cruises so I didn't really know boats. Then I cam to Australia and went sailing with a friend, sailed Sydney to Lord Howe Island, and completly fell in love with boats and the ocean. The early morning watches where it was just me and the Sea were some of my favourite times. I quickly adapted to and fallen inlove with all aspects of life aboard and have decided that when I return to canada I will find a way to keep up sailing and that one day I will just sail and explore with a boat, crew and a love of the Sea, but thats prolly a bit of a ways off.

Caroline McLachlan Darling

Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Caroline. Easy to fall in love with sailing isn't it.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swannoc View Post
*The early morning watches where it was just me and the Sea were some of my favourite times.
I loved the night-into-sunrise watch, too. *Though one night as we were sailing down island in the Caribbean on a perfect reach with a moon to light the way, I was startled by a loud *SLAP* which made me squeak loudly (not scream, it's a ridiculous-sounding eennkk! noise). *I looked around trying to find what had caused the sound, but saw nothing. *A few minutes later it was repeated, but I was alert, and saw that it was a pod of dolphins. *I think that my funny noise amused them because they would periodically jump up alongside me and land with another loud bellyflop-like slap, much louder than their usual splash, apparently intended to elicit another of those funny-sounding noises. *When I stopped squeaking they seemed to lose interest and continued on their way.

Quote:
I quickly adapted to and fallen inlove with all aspects of life aboard and have decided that when I return to canada I will find a way to keep up sailing and that one day I will just sail and explore with a boat, crew and a love of the Sea, but thats prolly a bit of a ways off.
I think you're hooked. *Living aboard takes some adjustment; some people never do make the adjustment, and others, as with you, take to it like a (yep, another cliche ) duck to water.

Fair winds, and look around the crewfinder, you just might find more opportunities to get out on the water.

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome aboard Caroline.

I think I know exactly what you mean about early morning at sea.

Vasilis

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
it was a pod of dolphins. I think that my funny noise amused them because they would periodically jump up alongside me and land with another loud bellyflop-like slap, much louder than their usual splash, apparently intended to elicit another of those funny-sounding noises. When I stopped squeaking they seemed to lose interest and continued on their way.
I was told that there was a chance I might see Dolphins on the trip but I had no luck. I did get to see Flying Fish though.

Quote:
I think you're hooked. Living aboard takes some adjustment; some people never do make the adjustment, and others, as with you, take to it like a (yep, another cliche ) duck to water.
From the first shake down sail I knew I was hooked. It actualy felt more like I was re-learning something then learning it anew. from being hoisted uo the mast, to adjusting the sails alone on night watch, to making pancakes on a 20' heel, I love it all.