Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Ensign

While I've been reading various posts on this forum for a long time, I'm only now, I guess, actually "joining".

Like probably many folks, I'm a mid-50's guy who spent probably too much of my life getting educated, pursuing a career, getting a mortgage, etc., etc. Now, as I watch old friends and colleagues having ignored some of the other things life can bring, only to wait too long to do so, I'm pursuing a different life.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I decided to go cruising. Sell the house, buy a boat, and head out. After lots and lots of time spent doing this, we finally made the leap this past January. We've been out now for 8 months. First, to the Bahamas (Abacos) and from there up to Georgia. We've gone up the ICW (going outside some of the time), through the Chesapeake, Delaware Bay, and are about to go up the Jersey Coast to NYC.

The cruising life is a mixture of pleasure and pain. There's lots of fun in meeting new people and seeing places we've never seen, particularly from the perspective of a boat. Although I "knew" there would be boat maintenance to do, I didn't appreciate just how much of it! It is amazingly time-consuming. Even though we tried to do our "due diligence" and learn the skills needed, I was again surprised at how much we didn't know (and still don't), yet experience seems to be teaching us. And, then, there are those moments of sheer terror! E.G., dragging anchor in a crowded bay at 2 a.m. (along with 5 or 6 other boats) when a sudden 35 knot storm blew in! The chaos that ensued was, indeed, terrifying. However, no one was hurt, the boat only got a few scratches, but the lessons learned were valuable and our mistakes have not been repeated.

So, I look forward to reading more and perhaps to offer at least something in return.

Richard

S/V Orca

St. Francis 44 cat

Old 09-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Richard - good to have you here with this friendly crew.

The cruising life is a learning curve all the way and I hope you will share some of the lessons you have learned with us all here - so that we may learn as well. Your St Francis is a nice boat! Enjoy!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

WELCOME RICHARD......

In 20 years you will still be learning. I am a prime example........LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Ensign

welcome richard and wife

grateful for sharing your experience, good seas and better winds. . if you come to the Mediterranean say it to me, it will be a pleasure to met you. greetings from cartagena

a quienes los de Cartago dieron nombre,

cerrado a todos vientos y encubierto,

a cuyo claro y singular renombre,

se postran cuantos puertos el mar baña,

descubre el sol y navega el hombre.

CARTAGENA -Miguel de Cervantes-
spray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Admiral

Hello Richard

Welcome to both of you and your Catamaran Orca.

You may have noticed that we have started a forum on catamarans - it would be nice to have some pictures and details of your St Francis.

Here is a picture of the Aphrodite Click image for larger version

Name:	St_francis.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	609

Another Richard

Also a Multhuller