Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Ensign

Dear Sailors,

First of all I'd like to wish you all only the fair winds in the New Year, many great adventures nad health to survive them

Then I want to ask you for help. I'm writing thesis on the radiocommunication equipment on the (mostly) ocean going yachts. I study at Maritime University in Gdynia, Poland.

To write about the actual situation I need your help. Below I put a questionaire about equipment on your yachts. If you would please fill in this form and send it to my e-mail adress: a.peszkowska@gmail.com or just leave it here on the forum I would be very very gratefull!

Thanks and best wishes for everyone once again!

Here goes the form:

Questionnaire: radiocommunication equipment of the yacht you sail at.

1. Basic information about the yacht:

a) LOA(m or feet)............................................. .......

Type of rigging........................................... .........

c) Sails area (sq m or sq feet)...................................

2. How much time is the yacht afloat during the year (please mark the right answer with x)?:

Less than 3 months

3 months

6 months

12 months

3. What kind of sailing do you ussualy choose (please mark the right answer with x)?:

Oceanic

Offshore

Coastal

4. How many persons do you ussualy carry on board (please mark the right answer with x)?:

3-5

6-10

More

5. Would you please describe in general the route you made with your boat during last 12 months (please name the ports and countries):

.................................................. ..............................

.................................................. ..............................

6. The radiocommunication and safety equipment on your boat (please select from the following by marking with x):

VHF Radio

DSC

Radio MF/HF*

Satellite telephone**

EPIRB

SART

Radar

Life-raft

Other***

*Do you use electronic mail via MF/HF? If yes then what kind of mail do you use (please give the name of it like for example „sailmail”):...................................... ..............................

**If you use satellite telephone please write in which system it works (ex. INMARSAT-M):............................................... ..............................

***Please name the device............................................ ..............................

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello ?,

Complements of the season.

The "thesis on the radiocommunication equipment on ocean going yachts " and the questionaire that is posted to illicit the required information appear be disparate in their content.

IE.. : VHF & HF take up 2 lines - and all one is asked to do is to mark these with an 'x' if either or both are on board.

Perhaps a look at our Cruiser WIKI on Radio Communication on Cruising boats will provide a broader appreciation on the subject.

Richard

Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Ensign

I actually meant any of those. Mostly because as I know from experience sailors use SSB - which operates in both MF and HF. Maybe my english is not ehough but for me select does not mean "choose only one". Sorry if anyone undesrstood otherwise.