Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello from yet another new member. I have been sailing for some time and enjoy it a great deal. I have been sailing small boats on the Hudson River in NY and on sheltered salt water. I have been a carpenter and cabinet maker and have had the dream of retiring on a sailboat. This does not entirely please my wife and like most men who have essentially been landlocked all his life I have all the trappings and baggage. A large house complete with a mortgage, a horse, dogs(large dogs) and momma has a parrot. Having a parrot is the same a having an autistic child because he requires constant care and will outlive you. All that aside I have now acquired a 1978 hunter thirty and have decided that while this vessel is smaller than I had originally planned it came to me in a way that made it very doable. I know a lot about this particular model and am using it as a vehicle on which to travel toward my dream. It is extremely seaworthy and seakindly and I can maintain it and sail it singlehanded quite comfortably. Good interior accommodations and cruiseability have been key issues. I didn't think that I would consider anything less than 34 feet but then along comes reality and smacks you right between the eyes. I have ocean time on a 44 ft Gulfstar CC Ketch and don't think I really want to deal with a ship of it's size. So I am looking to chat with people on the subject of cruising, early Hunters and initial fitting-out on a smaller cruising sailboat. A lot of loose ends but the dream is real and I am moving towards it. After a serious accident that has made work impossible I am looking at cruising in a more immediate light.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome aboard Sailhunter

It is good to have you with us.

I hope your dream comes true. Please keep us posted with the developments that take place on your way to fullfilling you cruising ambitions.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard from me too. Hope to hear all about your progress.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Welcome!

I am not one of the fountains of knowledge here, but I would encourage you to field your questions here often. I have found this site one of the few with a propensity to share knowledge gained from really doing it rather than opinions gained from literature. We are also on a smaller craft (32.5), but we prefer it that way.

Chase those dreams and you will be in like company here!

Fair winds,

David & Brenda

s/v Friendship