Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Cape Town
Smile Hello from Cape Town, South Africa

Hi everyone. I have been lurking these pages for quite some time before finally registering.

My wife and I are in the initial of our 5-year plan (down from 8 years now and hoping for 3 years though) and will be no doubt irritating many with a few questions. We have sailed off and on since childhood (albeit inland lake sailing back in those days), and coastal sailing on weekends and shortl trips in South Africa for a few years on our (now sold) Lavranos Hokiday 34.

We were one of the unfortunate few/many who suffered a material loss from the Charter Cats insolvency and the related dubious actions by the company owners. We have had to slowly claw our way back to make this dream of casting off a reality. As a South African, I find myself embarrassed by the spate of issues and ethics displayed by particularly Catamaran manufacturers over the last 10 years, of which I have also been a victim. Anyway, moving along...

But, we are hoping to get much insight, opinions and facts from the members of the forum to help us with a few decisions and thought processes. And of course and added benefit of connecting to like-minded people as well...

Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Jeffrieysbay
Vessel Name: Symphony

Hi, so what is your status quo at the moment, do you have a yacht or what is your plans?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Cape Town

We are currently looking at available options but will in all likelihood purchase early 2015. A bit disappointed at the variety available on the used market but I guess patience is the key to getting the right vessel at the right price.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Jeffrieysbay
Vessel Name: Symphony
Default Interesting

Yes interesting, I am not in the yacht selling business so nor fret there, in fact I have a 36.5 Dean which is being rebuild and should be ready for some serious sailing early next year.

Initially I plan to do the East Coast up to Madagasca down to see a few hundred islands and back to evaluate what equipment failed and what worked. I am having the length increased aft by another 2.5 foot as to increase the load capacity and buoyancy.

All work are done in Durban and overseen by Pieter Volschenk a marine architect and friend.

I will be looking at some crew and a man and wife team could just fit the bill however there would be some minimal requirements.

The yacht itself would be real easy to sail as the sails configurations are changed to in boom furl and all other electronic equipment normally in a vessel will be available.

Safety is one of my absolute serious considerations and all and everything plus, is all standard equipment.

Accommodation is standard marine accommodation except there Is a TV and music Centre with Sat phone and email facility. The yacht's electronics include EPERB and AIS each life jacket has a PLB Rescue me attached.

Well that is in short what I am doing and what my yacht is all about.

Tags
africa, south africa