Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello from Oahu. We are getting ready to get out of the military and go home to Washington State where our poor boat, a restored 1964 Columbia Defender, has been patiently waiting. It was too expensive to bring it to Hawaii and there was not enough time off to sail her. She's only 29.6 feet so she was better off there anyway I think.

We've been reading about people in 28 foot boats and cats circumnavigating the planet and joined this forum to see if we are crazy for thinking about doing that in our boat or whether we should go on and get a bigger boat.

What we'd love to find is a group of sailboats circumnavigating. There is safety in numbers they say.

My name is Pam and I'm from the Olypmic Peninsula in Washington State and my husband is Daniel and he's from New Zealand. After Army life, we are ready to relax.

Have a great day everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
columb_1.jpg  

Old 05-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
Admiral

Pam & Daniel

I guess it depends on how much personal space an individual needs - some 29ft boats have more space than a 35ft. Maybe a good plan would be to take her up to Desolation Sound for the summer and take the opportunity getting a feel for a long distance cruise.

Welcome again

Richard

Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Admiral

Welcome. *Drinks are on me today.

Richard's suggestion is a good one. *We've met couples cruising the S. Pacific in boats smaller than yours who have been quite happy. *One or two of them eventually found and bought a larger boat during their travels, another couple we knew made it around the world, slowly sniffing the roses as they went, in their small boat.

I don't think that you will find a group of other sailboats circumnavigating that you would travel with. *You will find, if you spend a winter or two in Mexico, a reasonably sizeable group heading for French Polynesia that you could tag along with. *You will probably lose visual contact with all the boats within about 24 hours, and then you, along with all the other boats in that group, will be sailing alone with twice-daily radio contact until you all meet again when you've made landfall. *Except for daysails, this is the pattern most boats follow as they cruise. *

There are quite a few places around the globe that cruisers congregate and leave together in these loosely connected "flotillas". *In a crossing from Mexico to Nuku Hiva, you'll find that arrival times will be days and weeks apart by the time all the boats arrive. *Usually there will be one or two boats close enough to render assistance should it be needed, though.

We heard about two boats that were inseparable in their cruising down the coast of California through Mexico and on to Panama. *One boat's name was Endless Weekend, the other's Grimsby. *I heard a number of people referring to them as "grim weekend". *Theirs was an extreme connection in our experience, though.

Regardless of your choices, I think you'll find that cruisers are a very social group who welcome all the newbies into their ranks. *

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Ensign

Oddly enough I have found a link for Out to Sea and Overboard which is planning a circumnavigation in June 2011. Two years to plan and get money together is a good time frame for us. http://outtoseaandoverboardmeet.ning.com/ They claim they will get 200,000 people to go. I highly doubt the number is that high but it is a convoy and there is safety in numbers. They will be grouping people together by boat size with each group having an experienced captain in the lead boat. Sounds interesting and I'm going to look into it further. If anyone here knows anything about it, I'd love to hear your opinion. Some of these type things want you to pay a membership fee then turn out to be a big scam although this one is 2 years in the planning so that's an awfully long time to run a scam.

Tags
hawaii