Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Cleveland
Default Hi

I just joined.

From another "recent thread", I can be described as an "armchair, dreamer, sailor wanna-be"....but thats ok....it doesn't darken my vision.

I grew up on the waters of Lake Erie. Unfortunately as a young adult I got married to a man who didn't like boating. It was "too much work" for him. Sadly, my children did not have the same island lifestyle experiences I had a as a kid. Something I will always regret.

But, things change, now that my kids are older my husband has decided to move on in life and I am free to finally persue my goals.

While I've never sailed, my dream is to eventually live aboard. I'd like a small catamaran that I can handle on my own.

I've been researching vessels and I've chosen the multihull because I like the stability it allows. As I get more into this process of learning, I may change my mind, but for now that is my ultimate goal.

This past month I registered for sailing "beginners classes" at a local Yacht Club. I'm very excited to get started. I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I'm reading all I can to get a solid foundation on which to build my skills.

I found this website by chance, but I am glad I did.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard! Please enjoy reading the threads and getting what you can from them and please contribute where you can as well. Let us know how the sailing classes go--what you like and what not. What sort of boat will you be learning in? Do you know yet? We'd love to hear how it goes and what your impressions are.

I have a friend who lives aboard and sails a small catamaran. He loves it.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Greenhorn

Home Port: Runaway Bay Qld

Hi Juberoo,
Good to hear your moving on with life yourself & taking steps to make it happen.

The idea of a catamaran for stability is a good one. They also have an advantage of a shallow draft, great for getting up close and personal with corals and shoals. We have the Great Barrier Reef here in Queensland Australia, so the Cats are a popular choice with the temperate climate and multiple Isands to explore.

Personally I'm a monohull fan myself (just something about the way the boat rolls gently with the winds and waves and finds its "place" between the two).

Keep us posted with your sailing lessons, and your hunt for your perfect cat.

May you find favourable winds and all the best to you.