Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all. I don't currently own a cruiser. I own a 25ft Center Console with 175hp and 25hp engines for family and fishing in Davao, Philippines.

I am English but moved to Hong Kong in 1972 and then to the Manila, Philippines in 1994. About a year ago I moved my Manila home to Davao, Philipines. Now my time is split between Davao and Hong Kong.

In the 70's I used to buy up boats in Hong Kong that had been left to rot or were sunk in typhoons then rebuild them. Now I am too old and lazy to do that much work.

I am a semi retired web developer.

I am interested in all types of boats and would really like to go long distance cruising. When I was very involved in boats in the 70's the navigation was a problem but now with GPS it is dead simple.

Sport Fishing Asia Motorcycle Asia Net
Skywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard - great to have you here. You're sailing (& living) in a lovely part of the world and we hope to hear lots from you.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Admiral

A few days ago, while looking around, and around, and around for a clear space to anchor in a very crowded harbor, husband Peter said, "This is all the government's fault! If they hadn't developed GPS, most of these people wouldn't be coming here!"

He has a point, I guess. I really like the benefits that GPS has brought, but sometimes when we see some of our favorite destinations from 30 years ago now overrun with boats, we sigh deeply before looking for a new place without such a crowd. The glass is more than half full, though. GPS opens up so many destinations, even nearby ones, that we wouldn't have attempted years ago. We just have to remember that GPS is just another tool, one that has failed us in the past, and we must always navigate with care and attention to all the aids at our disposal.

Welcome. We look forward to your ideas and comments.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Ensign

Welcome, I was quite surprised to see somebody else here from Davao. If you do happen to be in Samal, please look us up. We are right beside the Car Ferry Terminal, you cannot miss our sailboat - Wiskun. My husband is somewhere in the yard tinkering with a 38 ft steel Bruce Roberts motoryacht. You cannot miss him there either, as he is the only foreigner in there.

= Davao, Philippines,
wiskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Skywoolf,

Welcome, and I hope you are tasting Durianworld candies. My retirement will be in Davao, which is coming in the next several years. I remarried my wife on Samal in 06. Lovely place, and I am eager to make our move there......
Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskun View Post
Welcome, I was quite surprised to see somebody else here from Davao. If you do happen to be in Samal, please look us up. We are right beside the Car Ferry Terminal, you cannot miss our sailboat - Wiskun. My husband is somewhere in the yard tinkering with a 38 ft steel Bruce Roberts motoryacht. You cannot miss him there either, as he is the only foreigner in there.
Hi Wiskun,

Sorry I missed your post until now. I went looking for you last week but I was looking in the wrong place. I thought you were at the Marina being built on the northern coast of Samal. The ferry terminal is much closer to where I am. My home is right behind the Insular Waterfront Hotel and my boat is parked at the boat club next to the Pearl Farms ferry terminal which is next to the hotel.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Skywoolf,

Welcome, and I hope you are tasting Durianworld candies. My retirement will be in Davao, which is coming in the next several years. I remarried my wife on Samal in 06. Lovely place, and I am eager to make our move there......
No I can't get past the smell of durian to actually taste it

When are you likely to be here?

I have considered moving to Samal and beach front properties are still cheap in most areas but the property prices on Samal are rising fast and if the promised bridge ever happens they will multiply.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Ensign

Hi again. We have driven into the boatyard near your house to have a look see. All powerboats stored on land

The marina is still under construction. We sailed over once just to get the feel for it, but it is a leeshore for us to anchor there during the NE tradewinds. It should be fine during the SW monsoon season, but we have removed our genoa for storage; No more sailing for now and we are getting ready to store wiskun on the hard. I have posted a picture in the samal thread of the slipway. You can see Wiskun to the left of the slipway. We will be doing some renovations on her, and then move to the marina when that is finished. We also bought property there, so we can watch over Wiskun easily. We don't know yet what our longterm plans are, but sailing to neighbouring countries and using Samal as our home base is one of them. Sailing to Norway or back to Vancouver is another possibility.

Hope to meet you one day, Ellen

ps - WHAT? You don't like durian - the KING of the exotic fruits? You won't be a real Dabawenyo until you taste one.

= Davao, Philippines,
wiskun is offline   Reply With Quote