Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Nelson S From Northport L.I. New York. Total refit of my Frers Idylles is almost finished and then I'm off. Few pics of the my S/V I have restored myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictureboat pics 010.jpg   Pictureboat pics 026.jpg   Pictureboat pics 268.jpg   Pictureboat pics 285.jpg   sailboat 016.jpg  

sailboat 015.jpg   sailboat 026.jpg   boatin shop.jpg   downsized_0111011302.jpg   Pictureboat pics 200.jpg  

Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Nelson. Thanks for the great pics that make us feel that we know you a whole lot better already. Please tell us more about your project.

Make yourself at home.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi Nelson,

Welcome to Cruiser Log - good to have a new project member -

Would that engine be a Universal or one of the Westerbeke series 33/35 engines - good reliable compact engines.

What's the planned cast off day? I really think its a waste to smash a bottle of champers over the bow - it damages the paint work!

Richard

PS this one of your ancestors (similar name) ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of HoratioNelson.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1666
Old 01-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Ensign

Yes Lord Nelson my old pal. lol They don't make them like that anymore do they. The power plant is actually a Perkins 4-236 80 hp. I'm a contractor and finish carpenter by trade, so I traded a deck for the rebuild. My best friends family runs a machine shop and they do all kinds of rebuilds. His father actually balanced and blue printed the motor for me. Perkins must use differant suppliers for their parts because he said there were rods stamped from differant plants in the motor. Balanced to meet deisel requirements, but not for hi rpm specs. Now with it balanced out, rods pistons crank etc. I could put a nitrous kit on it. lol What do you think? I just joined so I don't want to flood the forum with pictures and come across with poor taste, but I do have many more if people are interested. I'm off to tape out and paint the non skid now. Never ends I can't lift my arms any more and I didn't even wet sand the top sides yet. ooofff I added some more photos. for anyone who is interested. Lets just say one year turned into four. The boat is better then when it was built. I'm a perfectionist and as they say if you want it done properly do it yourself. The new shaft loj ( my letter jee just busted lol) was a real problem solver. I had to weld a hole saw onto the end of a cars drive shaft in order to cut the old one out of the hull due to how deep it was. Took about four hours to drill the old one out. The bronze end of the old one was was cracked and some knucklehead used the cutless as a internal union to hold it on. I only discovered this when I looked at other picts of 15.5 online and realized there wasn't supposed to be a wadd of fiberjlass on the end of the shaft, but only the exposed tube. The work some people will do still baffles me. Where is the pride. Unfortunately thats the problem these days. People don't take pride in their workmanship anymore. I thank my parents for the way they raised me everyday. Let me know if you want more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictureboat pics 033.jpg   Pictureboat pics 036.jpg   Pictureboat pics 260.jpg   Pictureboat pics 272.jpg   sailboat 002.jpg  

sailboat 005.jpg   sailboat 001.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Admiral

Welcome, Nelson

Ambitious and hardworking fellow you are, eh? I admire such work though I'd never want to tackle such a project myself. good for you!

I think lots of people would be interested in looking over your photos, but you might consider signing up at a free photo sharing site, upload your boat project photos there, and later as you start cruising, use it to store and share your cruising photos as well.

I use FOTOTIME, though I no longer have a free account, but rather pay for the storage of all our pictures.

PHOTOBUCKET AND SHUTTERFLY are two others that I know of.

Then you upload the photos you want to share once, and just post links to the various photos as you think are appropriate. Helps keep you organized.

Please keep us in the loop as you progress. Cruising stories are interesting to us all.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Yes, we want to hear more about the rebuild, and, more pics.

You can also set up a couple of albums here on CruiserLog's "Gallery". One problem - your pics are very large files and take ages to open (I'm sure they take ages for you to upload too). Perhaps resize them some (a bit smaller) for posting to the web.

The pics are great.

P.S. Another great free photo tool and free photo storage is Google's Picassa3 - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote