Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Los Angeles
Default Hong Kong to Los Angeles

Well I am completely new here, and would very much appreciate a little information. Glad to have found a site where the members seem so knowledgeable and experienced.

So... I am considering going as a passenger on a cargo ship from Hong Kong to Los Angeles. I would like to ask what is the best time of year to do this weather-wise. I believe I've heard that March and April are the months when it is most cyclone free in general in the Pacific, but I'm not really sure.

If anyone knows the best time for this (or the time to avoid) I would be very happy to read your advice.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

While I have not sailed this passage, the route from west to east across the North Pacific is well documented. Conventional wisdom suggests the best time to make the trip is mid June to August providing the ship is sailing a great circle route without veering to ports along the way.

The Aleutian Current will assist the ship's progress and winds are mainly light and from the south and west. While this information is more pertinent to sailing boats, powered craft will benefit from the more benign conditions.

Is the vessel planning a direct route to the west coast of the US, or is it going via Guam or Hawaii. The shift between latitudes either closer to or further away from the equator will make some difference to the optimum time to make the passage. What is the length or tonnage of the vessel you plan to board for the crossing?

My information comes from British Admiralty and Cornell publications. Perhaps one of our members who has sailed the North Pacific will be able to provide further information.

Sounds like a great advenjture..keep us posted.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Los Angeles

You've brought up some good questions, sad to say though I don't have the answer to most of them...yet. What I do know so far is that it is a British based company, the voyage lasts a little over 2 weeks, and if I understand it right it doesn't stop anywhere between Hong Kong & Los Angeles ( it makes 2 stops in China beforehand). What I know about it is woefully inadequate, I realize. You've raised some really good questions though, and I intend to find them out (amongst other things) when I contact the company.

Here's hoping!