Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Ensign

Howdy,

Been lurking for a bit, and having a great time checking out all of the information on these boards.

Hubby and I and the little toot (almost 8 months old now) are planning the big move-aboard in the very near future. We are still in the perusing phase and are deciding what sort of boat we would be happy with, and are managing to narrow our choices down successfully(we are going to go with a small-ish cat most likely). The only sailing experience either of us have is hubby's little sunfish from when he was young - so basically our experience level is zero - but we realize this and know we have a lot to learn over the next year or so.

We are selling our condo due to a move we made last month and are currently renting, so the timing is great for us. We live in Venice, FL about 1/2 mile from the beach atm, and both of us love the water and can't wait to be even closer to it. Hubby is still working (in fact that's what precipitated the move) so we can't take off and cruise year-round just yet, but we will take what we can get, whenever we can get it.

Neither of us are terribly conventional, and we already have very little attachment to "stuff" so I think we have that in our favor. I will admit that I have some nerves about having a small child on a boat 24/7 but I want to raise my son to enjoy life, not fear it, and I believe with proper safety precautions we will be fine. We do also hope to have another little one by the time we move onboard, and when they are old enough, plan to boat-school so that we can seize the 'cast off and cruise' opportunity the moment it presents itself.

We are beyond excited and can't wait to make this dream a reality. I can't wait to get to know you all as things unfold.

-MB

Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello MB aka Mutape,

from a multihuller to a potential Cat enthusiast !

Corral that toot in a nylon diamond mesh net surrounding the life lines. Away you go!

Have you made up your mind on sail or power.

We will get some feed back on ideas and options - we have many cat owners.

Regards

Richard

Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A hearty Welcome Aboard to you - good to have you with us.

There are many cruisers out there with small children aboard and what a good environment for home-schooling.

Please fire away with any questions you may have. We have many friendly, helpful and experienced members on these boards who are always willing to share their knowledge and never tire of answering questions - as many as you can throw at them.

Enjoy your stay and I hope that you will learn as much as I still do every day.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi There, This topic is in our archives....take a peep here Cruising with kids 2007 there are some good links.

Welcome.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Ensign

Good morning! Thanks for the replies and welcomes

Richard, we are absolutely going sail. The ones we keep coming back to seem to be the gemini's (105 or 3400) or maybe a PDQ. We intend to stay on the small side (for a family at least) and well within our budget - we figure that the more modestly and manageable we start out, the better our chances for sticking with it in the long-term. We want to avoid getting in over our heads with a boat that is too large for us and sucks all our money out. We are not retired millionaires - yet

For the foreseeable future, we will likely be cruising around the coast of florida and maybe out to the bahamas when we feel up to that. I want the kids to be a smidge older before we set off across the globe, and we want to get lots and lots of experience before doing that.

David, thanks for the link! I have pretty much scoured these forums in the past few weeks, going way way back in the archives to soak up any information I can find. I am excited to be able to participate now

Thanks again for the friendly welcome. I know we have landed in a good place.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Admiral

Hi again Mutape (whats the origin of Mutape? a tree ?)

If I had reservation on the Geminis it would be the very small water tankage - for a family living aboard this can be a hassle having to constantly visit marinas etc to top up.

Have you looked a the Wildcat Catamarans - these are also blue water boats. And plenty space for a family.

Richard
Old 11-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Ensign

The origin of Mutape is a funny story; at least, hubby and I find it to be so. We are big gamers, and have played many games together (both on and off of the computer). One of hubby's characters in one of these games was named "Mutegi" which I believe is African or somesuch for "lion". His mother has a long history of messing up people's names and having a horrible time with pronunciation. So, when we were still expecting the little toot, we told her we were going to name him Mutegi, and she stammered out "Moo . . tahhhh .. pay?" We found it funny, because, Mutegi may look difficult to pronounce but if you hear it is very easy to say "Moo - teggy". So we took to calling the little guy "Mutape", usually in the halting stammer his grandmother used.

Nevermind that his actual name is Kian. Mutape is so much more fun!

Well, I had a look at some Wildcats I found online; wow, they're beauties. They may be out of our budget. We are hoping to find a boat for $100k or less, preferably less, but 100 is our limit. I did see some that came close enough to that range that I think we will keep them on the list and see what's available when it's time to buy. If our condo sells well we may be able to go up a little, but with the housing market the way it is these days . . .

We don't mind a lack of space; we have had some very spare times and learned to live without needing a lot - I'm grateful for that now! However the size of the water tank is something I will remember to keep in mind, especially as we are hoping to spend at least some of our time anchored out or maybe in a mooring field. We aren't sure how that will work out with hubby needing to go in to work, but we are pretty flexible and adaptable and want to experience that even if it means some annoyances here and there. And we definitely want to avoid marinas when we have the opportunity to take off of work and head out for a few weeks.

I've seen a lot of Prouts that seem to be inexpensive; is there a reason? Do they suck and I just don't know enough about boats yet to realize it?

Edit: Oh, btw, just wanted to add a bit more info. Hubby (Galen) and I (Mary Beth, aka M are both 30, and the little guy (Kian) is approaching 8 months old. Hubby is a chaplain and just got a job here in Venice, FL, which is why we up and moved with about 2 weeks notice. We initially had the dream of sailing in retirement, which quickly became a dream of early retirement, then the "well, why wait THAT long, maybe when the kids are a bit older ..." all the way to "Well, heck, why wait at all? Let's go now!" Honestly, if we are going to plan adventures for ourselves, we want to include the kids, and we never wanted to raise our kids the "normal" way anyhow.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutape View Post
The origin of Mutape So we took to calling the little guy "Mutape",

Nevermind that his actual name is Kian. Mutape is so much more fun!

I've seen a lot of Prouts that seem to be inexpensive; is there a reason? Do they suck and I just don't know enough about boats yet to realize it?
The reason I asked is that MUtape is the name of tree (plural MItape - Noun class MU MI) from which sticks are cut to hang leaves of tobacco on, while they cure in the tobacco barn - the sticks are named Matepe

However when the name Mutape is used for a person it means Chief ( noun class MU VA) therefore Chiefs > plural Vatape . These are Chiefs of the Ndau people of the Amashangaan of the Zulu nation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mutape.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	246

If you check this URL you will find a PDF doc giving the true origin of the Mutape - Chiefs and advisors to the Paramount Chief :-

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/African%20J...uz024001004.pdf

The Prouts no longer are made by the Yard on Canvey Island on the Thames - Essex - England - bust! When loaded with the normal cruiser's paraphernalia they barely move - very slow - bridge deck too low = wave NOISE.

Richard
Old 11-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
The reason I asked is that MUtape is the name of tree (plural MItape - Noun class MU MI) from which sticks are cut to hang leaves of tobacco on, while they cure in the tobacco barn - the sticks are named Matepe

However when the name Mutape is used for a person it means Chief ( noun class MU VA) therefore Chiefs > plural Vatape . These are Chiefs of the Ndau people of the Amashangaan of the Zulu nation.
How cool! Thank you for sharing that. We inadvertently stumbled onto something rather interesting, then. I will have to read up on that so I can add it to the story of his "name".

Thanks for the info on the Prouts. Hubby says they're scratched off of the list.