Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth
Default Howdy means Ahoy!

Howdy Folks!

I just found this nice forum a few days ago and I have enjoyed reading many of the posts and learned a lot too. I am most favorably impressed by the nice tone I see in the threads, the friendly atmosphere, and the wisdom of the moderators. I hope I can contribute a small part to the continued success of this community.

While I am not a boat owner, I hope to be one day not too far off, so I may have a few questions that seem basic. And while I am not as experienced as many sailors, I do have a bit of time on the water in various boats under sail. After sailing on lakes in the USA, it was my great pleasure to sail for years on San Francisco Bay (mostly racing) and offshore (off the California coast) and a passage from Hawaii to San Francisco. I don't consider myself an expert at anything, and would rather consider myself a newbie so I keep an open mind to learning. I believe I can learn something from anyone and hope to learn from you all here.

Unfortunately my time on the ocean has been more limited than my desire to be there. And my desire includes owning a boat someday to cruise the Big Blue (who doesn't dream that).

Still, I have always felt blue water runs in my veins, as being on a sailboat is my very earliest memory (from the time when I was a tot in Miami) and looking at "boats for sale" in Yachting magazine has been something I have done since I was about 9 years old, along with drawing my own boat plans back then as a kid. I still haven't decided which will be my dream boat to cruise on, but I have my eye on a few.

As for personal tastes, I like the traditional styles (even more recent versions like HC and Babas) but I also have a odd bent for strong and sturdy looking steel boats too. Eventually I will probably pick something with a Pilot House, as I have strong feelings about them too. As for those, while I admire a Perini Navi, I will more likely get a Nauticat. But, while I would enjoy the comforts of those larger boats, it is also likely I will get something a bit smaller too.

I don't consider myself a racer, but I have sailed and raced on small boats like Cal 20, a classic Folk Boat, J-24s and J-29s, as well as larger boats like Jeanneau 42 and others. As part of a competitive race crew I got my introduction to San Francisco Bay while on the cold and wet pitching foredeck of a J-35 in many races. I had the distinct pleasure of running the main on an offshore race to the Farallons on a Santa Cruz 50 "sled" once at 20+ knots and the tense time at the helm of an IOR 40 foot race boat on a run during an overnight race in high seas and high waves off the coast. I only wish I had more time and more chances to crew. That said, I believe my heart more closely lies in cruising and of course in the dream of making a circumnavigation.

Perhaps some day we will meet and I will be happy to pull a line or two for you.

And when I do get my dream boat, I will be happy to have you aboard for a brew or two and a yarn to go with it.

Sincerely,

Steady (a nickname for my first name, Steadman)

Steadman Uhlich Fine Art Home
Currently in Texas after spending 3 years traveling the American West while working on some book projects for books about equestrians. Next stop? Where the wind blows me.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard. We're glad you're enjoying the forums. Please do contribute where you can!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote