Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi,

I am a new member and I joined to find more information. I am taking my boat to the Caribbean and I would have one paid crew on the boat all the time. I was wondering how to handle the payment from the USA. Do I issue a 1099 or it has to be treated like an employee. How about insurance, what are my legal rights if he gets injured. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianluca View Post
Hi,

I am a new member and I joined to find more information. I am taking my boat to the Caribbean and I would have one paid crew on the boat all the time. I was wondering how to handle the payment from the USA. Do I issue a 1099 or it has to be treated like an employee. How about insurance, what are my legal rights if he gets injured. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Welcome to the CL, I don't really think we'll be able to help you on this. Even our crew finder is specific in excluding for-pay crew so we don't have to worry that we're accidentally linking up people who don't know that they're doing the wrong thing with insurance, taxes and so forth. Difficult topic but good to see that you're aware that you've got responsibilities in the matter.

The place to go for answers are the professionals that you rely on for insurance and tax advice already.

Call your accountant, lawyer, and insurance company to get the information required for your particular case. You can also contact the IRS regarding employment taxes (www.irs.gov) if your accountant isn't able to help you on this for some reason.

Best of luck to you.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
Ensign

I was curious to know what other cruisers do; the practical way.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

This site is for cruisers--and most cruiser do not pay for crew but rather find friends, family for crew...or use our crew finder for FREE crew So, I don't know that you'll find a lot of practical experience here in that regard. Many cruisers are on a tight budget--and tight budgets have a bad way of encouraging people to skip the formalities and not pay the tax man (a slippery slope). The issues of employer and employee are legal and tax related so your own service providers are really the place to go for advice. The issue of insurance is something that ONLY you and your carrier can get at.

Good luck in your travels and in getting the info you need from the professionals. We hope you'll keep us updated with your adventures as you travel.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to WafnaAbroad

I might suggest a sealed envelope with no numbers on the outside passed as a 'thank you gift' to whomever you choose as crew... an honorarium of sorts for their help.

But as redbopeep mentioned, it's still a darker side of the grey area.

Still, kudos to you for wanting to pay someone! When are you headed to the Caribbean, where are you leaving from? My girlfriend and I arn't too particular about where we're going, aside from planning to do some volunteering in Guatemala at some point.

Raiding and pillaging (other) forums since 2001. *

(I'm on the left in the avatar... it's an Egyptian Felucca, on the Nile at Luxor)
WafnaAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianluca View Post

I was curious to know what other cruisers do; the practical way.
There are very many people who will crew for you for free. Many of them have good sailing experience and just want to be on a boat since they don't have their own. Everyone who knows what they're doing expects to cook, clean, and share in the work needed to upkeep of boat during the trip so you don't have to feel guilty for having volunteer crew help you out.

If someone can't afford to go along with you without pay, they might not really be who you want along anyway. There are people out there who will take advantage of you as their employer/boss. That whole employer and employee thing brings out the worse in some people.

Sometimes people do just want help and to pay for it. If that is you, make sure and get professionals with experience rather than someone just wanting a paying ride.

if you want pros to help you, they are used to getting paid and you probably could just talk to a delivery skipper or two about the PAID crew they've used or how they're paid by their boss and how it all works out. If you don't know any of those people, maybe you could talk with the people at your local yacht club? There will be people there who have hired crew and who have been working at some point as delivery skipper or crew. Those people can tell you how things work on the paperwork side, too.

Have a good trip.