Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to gslabbert5119
Hi my name is Gavin and my wife is Lesley, we are in the process of purchasing a late model Robertson and Caine Leopard 40. We plan to start our circumnavigation late 2009 basically head toward the Caribbean for a year after the hurricane season. You know the best laid plans of mice and men ....

We are both originally form South Africa, well I am from Port Elizabeth and Les is from Rhodesia, or should I say Northern Rhodesia, no, Zambia. Well she started there and we met in Durban but in the year DOT .... (Yeah a long time ago)

Currently we live in Jacksonville Florida, I am a crotchety 53 year old (just kidding about being a curmudgeon) and Les is 49. (Do I hear the BIG 50). We are both in the computer industry and are burnt out after spending 30 plus years going that. I have sailed, raced motorcycles, played Professional golf and had my 5 minutes of fame on the golf reality show Big Break VI. I have sailed a bunch as a youngster and ran a fishing boat in PE in the 1980's prior to moving to the USA. We have not sailed in anger in 20 years, but a year sailing the Caribbean should prepare us somewhat for our adventure. Well it should at least beat some of the rust off.

Les and I look forward to spending a number of years sailing, diving and communicating with the cruising world.

Gavin and Lesley

http://cruisingcouple.com

https://BlueWaterCruising.com

https://photographybygavin.com

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
gslabbert5119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Admiral

Welkom! Gavin and Les - Hoe gaan dit met u?

Well , thinking about a Catamaran - I certainly agree (being a multi-huller myself)

I don't know how far you have got with the Leopard - couple of things to check :- 1. are the bottom of the transoms out of water when the tanks are full ?. 2. was the boat used for charter ?

3. What size engines are in the boat ? Are they turbocharged ? when running at say 1800 rpm what is the rated power HP at that rpm?

Les ? from the copperbelt - where did you go to school?

Richard

Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Gavin & Les - Grab a Castle Lager, they're on the house today.

Hlala Gahle!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Commander

Prefer Lion Lager, if you can still get it, but any free beer is good beer. Thanks and I will take you up on it

Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Welcome aboard Gavin & Les - Grab a Castle Lager, they're on the house today.

Hlala Gahle!

"Dwell on the could haves, we must not. Focus on the solution, we must...." -- Yoda --
Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Commander

Nee Man dit gaan baie lekker. Hmm not bad for an Engelsman that has been in the US for over 20 years.

See this is what I just love about forums like these, it is a wealth of information and nice folks too boot.

About the Leopard

Length is 40ft, and will be 2006 or newer and the purchase is whenever the right opportunity comes along.

Ideally I would like a Leopard 40 that had not been in the charter fleet, but I cannot find what I am looking for in the price range that I can pay cash for, and ideally has not been in charter. Seems crazy to me to sail the 7 seas with a mortgage, but it appears that some do that and are quite successful and content. I would worry my butt off, but that is just me. Seems there are few deals to be had for "Owners Versions" that have not been chartered, though an owners version is not imperative but would make Les happy.

Actually I really like the new LAGOON 42 Diesel but it is out of my price range and Les really likes the aft deck and saloon area of the leopard 40, so we area house divided (Ok, whats new). Plus she has a point, we would spend 80% of our time either in the saloon or in the aft deck area so that area is of most importance to her, plus if we had guests (what do you mean IF !!) she would be able to cook and still interact with guests (an inflated word for kids, grandkids and parents tee, hee hee)

I did get an opportunity to sail the Lagoon 42 Hybrid (or electric) and found it to be slow and heavy, plus I know nothing about maintaining electric motors, plus I do not believe that electric motors are ready for the rigors of a circumnavigation.

Motors will most likely be 29HP Yanmars, seems most are fitted with those, but as far as Turbo Charged, I will check, as I am NOT interested in having to maintain Turbos. Just a pain in the butt and not anywhere near as reliable as regular diesels. If I had my druthers I would buy something with blown motors and either rebuild them myself or replace them. This brings with it the possibility of many other problems due to neglect with the boat though.

Please tell me more about the bottom of the transoms being in the water when fully loaded with water, I did not know about this, and is this prevalent only in certain models. As I have said, it has been a long time since I have sailed and there were no sailing Cats in SA when I was sailing, I sailed a wooden mono. I have done a sailing charter on a Leopard 40 in the Caribbean, but we never experienced any real weather, and I cannot remember whether the transoms were in or out of the water, but she seemed to sail really nicely and even this "Ou Toppie" could handle her with relative ease.

As far as where Les went to school, you know I have no idea, they left Zambia soon after Kenneth Kaunda became President in 64. Actually being caucasian they were paid some lowly amout of money and given 30 days to leave the country (Go to Rhodesia and Ian Smith) but elected to come to SA instead.

I do know that she is a Davidson / Trotter, born in Kitwe. Her dad Paul Davidson worked in the copper mines and played baseball for Rhodesia back in the day.

Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Welkom! Gavin and Les - Hoe gaan dit met u?

Well , thinking about a Catamaran - I certainly agree (being a multi-huller myself)

I don't know how far you have got with the Leopard - couple of things to check :- 1. are the bottom of the transoms out of water when the tanks are full ?. 2. was the boat used for charter ?

3. What size engines are in the boat ? Are they turbocharged ? when running at say 1800 rpm what is the rated power HP at that rpm?

Les ? from the copperbelt - where did you go to school?

Richard

Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Gavin & Lesley,

Welcome from a catamaran owner in Orange Park. BEST WISHES in your goal...............