Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
SV Sade

Home Port: Langkawi
Vessel Name: SV Sade
Default Langkawi to Phuket Jan 2013

Greetings. I can offer a passage to Phuket for a third person to join my brother and I. You will join Sade as a working guest meaning you are expected to do all the things that any crew on a boat would do like taking turns on watch, food prep, cleaning etc in between sleeping., swimming, fishing, and all the other good things involved in cruising. Cost wise, you will share in expenses covering our F&B plus a donation of USD20/day. This is a strictly non smoking boat and definitely no illegal substances. My brother is retired and lives in Penang. I am close to retirement and live in Perth, W Australia. Sade is my transition towards retirement project. We are planning on taking a relaxing 8 days to get to Phuket. No night sailing involved. Look forward to serious enquiries from good easy going well adjusted people with no emotional baggages. Cheers, Ed

Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Yamseng. Just wondering how the $160 'donation' will be disbursed.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
SV Sade

Into my Retirement Fund of course. What else? Ha ha.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi Yamseng, it may be well worth your while to read through the following thread:
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f61...crew-1754.html

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
SV Sade

Hmm, sounds like a can of worms here with more negatives than positives on both sides. One word for the Positive side, I took up a paying crew position last year in the Med and it worked fine. Guess it may not be so good if I was involved in an accident and my travel insurance refuses to cover cost. Glad I mentioned donation as it is just that, not a fee. A donation by common use of the word is voluntary. Perhaps I should say suggested donation. I think anyone would be hard pressed to prove that USD20/day for a third person onboard is a profitable business ha ha. Anyway, the money is only one of many criteria that I would accept a third person but I do appreciate you drawing this issue to my attention. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Admiral

A donation as a precondition ceases to be a donation. Unfortunately, it is a device which has been used by bush lawyers the world over. It is one of those terms which evoke paraphraseology...A fee by any other name, remains a fee.

Simply put, it places you under legal obligation, which can so easily return to bite you on the bum. If you have a disagreement with your paying crew member and he dobs you in to the authorities, you are up to your neck in the brown stuff.

Here's a quote from my Ship's Articles, which reflect maritime 'norms'.
Cheers.

10) Costs of running the ship which would be borne by the skipper if single handing, will remain the responsibility of the skipper irrespective of crew numbers, otherwise costs will be equally shared.
11) Costs of provisioning will be shared equally except where individuals have specific needs for extraordinary foodstuffs or beverages.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
SV Sade

Thank you for the good advice. I can see the risks involved and more so when things go turtle up in a foreign place.

To all subscribers to this thread, pls consider the offer null and void.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Lumut

Hello Kutu Kapitan Cina,
Now managed to catch up with you. Please refer to your normal email & also please forward me a picture of your SV Sade.
TTFNafs...CK