Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all, I'm 54, divorced and retired. I live aboard my Cal 9.2 on the NC coast. The marina I'm at is very reasonable with great amenities in a perfect sailing location. I have several upgrades I want to complete before any extended sailing and any input into these projects would be cool...I need to add a closed coolant system with a heat exchanger, a bimini and maybe a dodger, roller furling (tho I really prefer hanked on headsails), probably convert my icebox to refrigeration, upgrade my electrical system...so I have projects. Also I'm planning on re-doing the headliner and bulkheads with cork sheeting. Cork is anti mildew and insulating...should be beautiful also. The Cal's had a moulded headliner that yellowed and cracked. This will be a huge improvement. so anyway...

So I'm here for a while. It's a great spot, other than it's very remote. If I was in a relationship it would be fine, we could just enjoy the solitude and each other and sail to fun spots. But it's pretty quiet here alone. (I do get plenty of time to read tho)...So...anyone on in eastern NC (or anywhere) who wants to talk get back to me...

Old 12-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello there on your Lapworth designed Cal 9,2

Good to have you aboard from North Carolina.

I'm a bit bit further east - warmer with bright clear skies.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Welcome aboard.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Admiral

Welcome from me too.

Enjoy your projects and don't worry if you start talking to yourself - it need not be a symptom of cabin fever as I tend to do it sometimes even though I generally have people around me all day. If it does get too bad, drop in here for a chat.

Keep us posted as to how your projects develop.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Admiral

Welcome from me, too.

Which marina are you in? We stopped at River Forest Marina back in '06 in MV Watermelon, 20 years after our fist stop there on our way down the ICW and 16 years of cruising in our sv Watermelon. It has gotten a bit shabby in the interim, so in '09 we passed it by.

I seem to have strong opinions on everything, particularly refrigeration. If you're going to be doing a lot of work, I would suggest that you increase the insulation in your ice box - unless you are sailing in New England, the insulation in most production boat boxes is woefully insufficient. I also dislike cold plate refrigeration, finding the evaporator box system, as in the Adler Barbour, to be more efficient and colder.

Anyway, we do enjoy tackling new questions, giving us a chance to stretch our mind and, especially in my case, reminisce a bit about the good and bad things we've done over the years.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hello there on your Lapworth designed Cal 9,2

Good to have you aboard from North Carolina.

I'm a bit bit further east - warmer with bright clear skies.
actually this is (i believe ) the only cal model designed by Ron Holland. I've eard opinions both ways on Holland but I love my boat. She's very light but with a deep keel she handles just wonderfully. Turns on a literal dime. Points very well. But anyway....
Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post

Welcome from me, too.

Which marina are you in? We stopped at River Forest Marina back in '06 in MV Watermelon, 20 years after our fist stop there on our way down the ICW and 16 years of cruising in our sv Watermelon. It has gotten a bit shabby in the interim, so in '09 we passed it by.

I seem to have strong opinions on everything, particularly refrigeration. If you're going to be doing a lot of work, I would suggest that you increase the insulation in your ice box - unless you are sailing in New England, the insulation in most production boat boxes is woefully insufficient. I also dislike cold plate refrigeration, finding the evaporator box system, as in the Adler Barbour, to be more efficient and colder.

Anyway, we do enjoy tackling new questions, giving us a chance to stretch our mind and, especially in my case, reminisce a bit about the good and bad things we've done over the years.
I'm on Jordan Creek off the Pungo. Great spot, just one dock, 36 slips. 5 miles from Belhaven (via water), 40 miles from Ocracoke, a day sail from Oriental and Beaufort...always good wind here too.

I am a retired tradesman (hardwood floors, marble and stone, ceramic tile) and have quite a few projects under my belt. I had a Cal 25 that I put a mahogany overhead in. It had a mushy deck so I cut it out from the underside, ripped out the core rotten plywood and replaced it with marine plywood epoxied in place. then I epoxied 2.5" strips of mahogany side to side. Came out amazing. This time I'm going to adhere 1/4" thick ,4' wide cork sheeting to the overhead and sides of the cabin. Everything. Take @ 4' x 70'. I found a pretty good deal here;

http://www.flex-a-chart.com/tan_cork.htm

If anyone finds a better deal let me know....

so we'll see how it comes out. I'm getting the boat units together now! Alos mulling what adhesive to use. From tile work I know of "hydroment Ultra Set". it's a tile and stone adhesive and elastometric membrane. It would hold, be totally waterproof and never let go. It's nasty to work with and expensive but I think a good option. There's also a cork wall adhesive I need to ck out, I presume it's similar to carpet or vinyl flooring adhesive....latex based. There I have a smell concern. It may work well to grip and hold the sheet cork tho....and that will be a big problem to solve. I'm also considering laminate adhesive, epoxy and am open to suggestions...

Thanks all for the nice welcome!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome to the "club".

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote