Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Okanagan
Vessel Name: n/a
Default New here, hello!

Hey there! I'm 20 years old, and live in the interior BC area, Canada. I recently fell in love with the idea of sailing, and my longterm-goal is to circumference the world in my own boat, with a friend. I currently am in a very stable housing and work situation, and nearly all of my earnings are going toward my budget for this project. I decided to join this site to mainly read and receive advice and other's experiences, and incorporate them into my learning/journey.

I have given myself a maximum deadline of 10 years to leave. I plan on purchasing a 10k boat, and expect refurbishing to cost at least another 5000, if not more. Solar panels, backup power, gps/radios, etc. I have also currently begun sailing lessons at my local sailing school, and plan to follow the courses through to completion. I also plan on saving another 5-10 thousand dollars as a safety net once I begin my actual journey. After receiving my vessel, I plan on practicing along the West Coast for a few years, getting used to everything, until I feel comfortable enough for long journeys.

Overall, my plan seems viable to me, at least in my current situation, but i'd like to hear your thoughts. I am a newbie after all, and I am almost certainly not taking things into consideration.

Thanks again, all!
Luca

Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome to the Cruiserlog site. Please enjoy reading about others' sailing and prep experiences. You will learn a lot and most likely your budget and specifics of the boat will change as you become more familiar with what is available and what you'd like to live with.

You may choose to do as my husband and I did (when dating at 19 and 21) and that is 1. learn to sail, 2. learn how to fix anything and everything 3. set a deadline that is realistic, and 4. save, save, and save a bit more.

We had a lot of other things we wanted to do before taking off sailing so our deadline was way further along than yours -- 25 years to be exact. In the interim, we sailed small boats, crewed here and there on other people's boats, and had great times with everything. We've been living our sailing life for going on 10 years now and loving it very much. If you enjoy podcasts you can take a listen to a bit about how our sailing plans changed over the years in this interview linked to (the Sailfeed link) here.

You can sail on a tiny and simple boat or something huge--depending on circumstance. I would heavily suggest that you not think of circumnavigating the globe as your first sailing dream. People who love to sail, they just sail. If they so happen to end up circling the globe, then they do. I suggest this because it's become very common for people to say "I'm going to circumnavigate" and they don't even yet sail. Then sometimes these sailors-to-be have a very difficult time sailing just a bit and feel quite overwhelmed by the big plan they've bit off. Suggest that you bite off the little bit of becoming a sailor and ocean sailing. See where you go from there.

Have great times!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Welcome to the Cruiserlog site. Please enjoy reading about others' sailing and prep experiences. You will learn a lot and most likely your budget and specifics of the boat will change as you become more familiar with what is available and what you'd like to live with.

You may choose to do as my husband and I did (when dating at 19 and 21) and that is 1. learn to sail, 2. learn how to fix anything and everything 3. set a deadline that is realistic, and 4. save, save, and save a bit more.

We had a lot of other things we wanted to do before taking off sailing so our deadline was way further along than yours -- 25 years to be exact. In the interim, we sailed small boats, crewed here and there on other people's boats, and had great times with everything. We've been living our sailing life for going on 10 years now and loving it very much. If you enjoy podcasts you can take a listen to a bit about how our sailing plans changed over the years in this interview linked to (the Sailfeed link) here.

You can sail on a tiny and simple boat or something huge--depending on circumstance. I would heavily suggest that you not think of circumnavigating the globe as your first sailing dream. People who love to sail, they just sail. If they so happen to end up circling the globe, then they do. I suggest this because it's become very common for people to say "I'm going to circumnavigate" and they don't even yet sail. Then sometimes these sailors-to-be have a very difficult time sailing just a bit and feel quite overwhelmed by the big plan they've bit off. Suggest that you bite off the little bit of becoming a sailor and ocean sailing. See where you go from there.

Have great times!

This may be the best advice you ever get.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Okanagan
Vessel Name: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

Have great times!
Thanks for all your advice! I may have misrepresented my plans a bit- I don't plan on a circumnavigation for at least 15-20 years, it's a far off dream. I plan on having my boat self-sustainable/permanently livable in the next 10 years, not to begin circumnavigating. That will happen years later, if at all. I'm definitely not holding 'circumnavigation' as a primary dream, and the very concept of circumnavigation is not that appealing to me, as much as is the journey along the way. Being able to claim "I sailed around the world!" is not in my interests.
Thanks again!