Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Ensign

Thumbs up

Hey there, my friends and i dont have any sailing experience but are eagre to learn. we live in alberta and would like to get a 25-30 ft, start in vanocouver learn how to sail our boat and refine by doing the coast from canada south. our only problem is our budget is alittle low, and we have no idea were to start in regards of boat models, or where to go to learn with on-board livin. there are three of us and hope to sail abroad one day in the not so distant future. Every bit of advice is greatly appreciated thank you

Old 05-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Admiral

Dr Red,,

Here is a site that lists about 30 different sailboats in the range that you have chosen, they are in BC Canada. Have a look and based on what you see, come with your thoughts on any that catch your fancy - members can then add additional info. :- Sailboats 25to30

Richard

Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to Robinsvoyage

In Canada if you are on a limited budget you need to look at private sellers. I was told by a broker in British Columbia that all brokers in Canada have a very high minimum cut of the sale price, just a word of warning.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Admiral

True Robin, thanks - what we are trying to do first is to get a fix on models that would appeal - from there at least we can give positive and negative opinions.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the reply's. we were looking to spend 10-15k and would like to leave the end of june but we dont have anything on what its going to be like to be certified in all aspects needed to do this.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

@DrRed

Welcome aboard and enjoy the forums.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi. My wife and I have just completed our first year on the water. We moved in April 07 from Maryland to the SC coast, to a marina. We bought a Macgregor 26M as our first boat because we could afford it, a 2003 in good shape for 23K. This is no bluewater boat but we got it delivered by our son on its trailer within one week rather than spend any more time waiting for the 'right boat'.

We has taken a week of ASA certification courses together from a lady captain and that worked for us.

I am still semi-retired and away from the boat for periods but it is great to have it there waiting when I get home. We have done only one overnight, generally sail offshore for a couple of hours, building confidence. We are planning a two week trip up the coast to Baldhead Island next. I will be glad to share the early lessons learned so far - not much compared to the rest of the 'iceberg' - but I am feeling that sailing is about getting stuck in, 'just do it'.

I haven't joined a chat room before, but I'm looking forward to contributing, but mostly listening.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
Admiral

To you both !!!

The Macgregor 26 is certainly a versatile boat - looking forward to more episodes in your growing with her (and photos)

:- Click image for larger version

Name:	MAC_26.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	444

Fair winds

Richard
Old 05-06-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
I will be glad to share the early lessons learned so far - not much compared to the rest of the 'iceberg' - but I am feeling that sailing is about getting stuck in, 'just do it'.

I haven't joined a chat room before, but I'm looking forward to contributing, but mostly listening.
One of the nicest things about sailing is that we sailors tend to share our experiences and learn from others. In that respect, irrespective of how long we have been sailing, we all have something to learn and something to share.

Well done on taking the plunge and joining the sailing fraternity and this forum. Welcome aboard!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
Ensign

Here is our Mac 26M at the dock - and a sales ad picture of the boat in action.

We had some nice 15-20 knot winds last weekend and she really performed very well,

pretty stable for such a light boat with water ballast.

The hairy part is coming back into the inlet with a big onshore swell - it can lift and dump

the boat beam on if you are not real careful. I recently discovered that taking it slower at

4-5 knots is easier because the swell overtakes faster and the boat isnt carried for as

long a time. Does this make sense to others? I used to come through the swell at about

8 knots at fight it with the 50hp Honda outboard.

It was not easy navigating back to this thread - advice please?
Attached Thumbnails
26M_QE3_in_LKV_dock.jpg   26M_genoa_beating.jpg  
Old 05-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
The hairy part is coming back into the inlet with a big onshore swell - it can lift and dump

the boat beam on if you are not real careful. I recently discovered that taking it slower at

4-5 knots is easier because the swell overtakes faster and the boat isn't carried for as

long a time. Does this make sense to others? I used to come through the swell at about

8 knots at fight it with the 50hp Honda outboard.

It was not easy navigating back to this thread - advice please?
Your method of coming through the swell does make sense to me but you must retain sufficient steerage way to keep your boat manoeuverable.

When I commanded a coast guard cutter I would speed up to give the rudders maximum effect in such situations. If I slowed the cutter down she would broach as the effect of the swell was then much stronger than the steering effect of the rudders; but that was just one particular boat with her particular characteristics.

If you cannot find your post then navigating back is not too difficult. Click on your name (top left) where it says, "Logged in as MartyD" This opens your profile page at centre top of which you will find a row of tabs starting with About me and ending with settings. Click the Posts tab and your latest post will be shown. Find the post you want and click the Read Topic link under the date of the post and you will no longer be lost.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote